Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you tell your doctor that....

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 203 Replies
1 mom liked this

...you own guns, if you were asked?    Apparently, doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals are being trained to ask patients if they own guns and if so, do they also have young children or peopel in the househld that are mentally ill.  Now in theory, this sounds like a good idea, but what will they do with that information?  Give it to the police, child services, ????    Will the gun owners be placed on some type of watch list?    I honestly think if my health care provider asked me this question, I would not answer it.  

What you say if youi doctor asked if you had a gun in the house plus young children??

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

The question was on a questionnaire at the pediatricians office we use.  I did not answer the question.  No one said anything.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

LuvmyAiden
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

While this sounds good it is not going to be used for the right reasons. There are already places to report those who speak out against Obama because they might be unstable, this is NOT a good thing. Part of the EOs was one that basically made HIPPA useless. The govt. can access anything they want in the effort of "safety". My dr. knows about our family and guns because they know I own a gun business and the PA has actaully inquired about a class but if it were a dr. I didn't know they would get a big fat kiss my ass. My health has NOTHING to do with my gun rights OR my business!

lga1965
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I would tell my Doctor that we don't own guns and will never own guns. Which is the truth.

I really don't care what they do with the information they get from some people when the answer is that they Do own guns.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I wouldn't answer the question, it is none of their business.

Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM
5 moms liked this

Since Obama is now proposing violating HIPPA laws.. no way.

At this point I wouldn't seek help if I was feeling depressed or was having anxiety attacks either.  I do not want to be on list because the President invoked an executive order violating my personal rights.

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM

How could they know if you were truthful anyway?

Such a silly question.

Like asking "are you crazy".

If you say yes, you're crazy.

If you say no, you could be crazy and crafty.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Not my doctor's business.  Period.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Ta - DA!

Quoting lga1965:

I would tell my Doctor that we don't own guns and will never own guns. Which is the truth.

I really don't care what they do with the information they get from some people when the answer is that they Do own guns.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Looks like it is time to take up bow hunting again

icn_mom
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I dont own a gun, but if i did I have nothing to hide..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)