Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you tell your doctor that....

Posted by   + Show Post

...you own guns, if you were asked?    Apparently, doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals are being trained to ask patients if they own guns and if so, do they also have young children or peopel in the househld that are mentally ill.  Now in theory, this sounds like a good idea, but what will they do with that information?  Give it to the police, child services, ????    Will the gun owners be placed on some type of watch list?    I honestly think if my health care provider asked me this question, I would not answer it.  

What you say if youi doctor asked if you had a gun in the house plus young children??

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
lga1965
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM

ummmm, yeah.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Ta - DA!

Quoting lga1965:

I would tell my Doctor that we don't own guns and will never own guns. Which is the truth.

I really don't care what they do with the information they get from some people when the answer is that they Do own guns.

"I've long known rage was a life saver. I learned it from my mentor Rush Limbaugh, because every time you look at him you gotta ask, 'How is he still alive?'" -- Stephen Colbert
eema.gray
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM
3 moms liked this

My children's doctor has asked, for the past 5 years (at least, my son is 5 so as long as we've been going there) if there are guns in the home.  I answer no.  I know that I have trigger locks on the weapons.  I know I have the ammunition locked up.  I do not need to be "counciled" on safe gun ownership since I'm already doing the things they will tell me to do.

Not to mention, If they use gun ownership as a springboard into inquiries about the mental health of others in the family, they are violating the HIPPA rights of those family members, for which reason I would have to refuse to answer those questions.  Which could become problematic, depending on the attitude of the doctor we're seeing that day.  So.  I just answer no on the form and leave it at that.

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM
wtfh...how is guns a hipaa violation

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Since Obama is now proposing violating HIPPA laws.. no way.

At this point I wouldn't seek help if I was feeling depressed or was having anxiety attacks either.  I do not want to be on list because the President invoked an executive order violating my personal rights.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM
My kid's pediatrics office has asked this for years, children do find their parent's handguns unfortunately, they also ask if we smoke or use car seats, I just reply no(we don't drive so no use for car seats)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
if you are not going to follow the laws, then you are no longer a responsible gun owner. so you are not ok with being a criminal...ask me that question, i will answer truthfully because I am a responsible individual
mich.el.le
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. I would tell them that is none of their business and has no bearing on their care of my child.

Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM
3 moms liked this

What I discuss with my doctor is between me and my doctor.  Not me, my doctor and our out of control government!!

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

At this point I wouldn't seek help if I was feeling depressed or was having anxiety attacks either.  I do not want to be on list because the President invoked an executive order violating my personal rights.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM

wtf - it's just obama

wtf- I wouldn't worry about it.

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM
so you dont know what hipaa is ok

Quoting Imacakebaker:

What I discuss with my doctor is between me and my doctor.  Not me, my doctor and our out of control government!!

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM
3 moms liked this

I have no problem answering the question truthfully. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN