Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you tell your doctor that....

Posted by   + Show Post

...you own guns, if you were asked?    Apparently, doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals are being trained to ask patients if they own guns and if so, do they also have young children or peopel in the househld that are mentally ill.  Now in theory, this sounds like a good idea, but what will they do with that information?  Give it to the police, child services, ????    Will the gun owners be placed on some type of watch list?    I honestly think if my health care provider asked me this question, I would not answer it.  

What you say if youi doctor asked if you had a gun in the house plus young children??

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Replies (161-170):
Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Take off your Obama goggles and think for a moment.

His propsal to make a data base of mental illness is against HIPPA policies.  You cannot do that!! 

? Do you agree with the things in the patriot act?  I really don't agree with that so much either.  It infringes on our rights.  Obamas proposal to have a list of anyone with a mental illness infringes on our rights.  

99% of people who own a gun do so responsibily!!  Legal gun owners are not an issue.  

The only I did agree with he said was a national crimal records check.  We have gun laws, they work. 

Obama is overstepping.  If my doctor asks if I have gun, he is overstepping, and I will find another doctor.  Somethings are no one's business!!

Quoting AdellesMom:

Info understand HIPPA. It's not a HIPPA violation. As it stands, nothing has been stated has to how this plan will be implemented. Until then, a propose plan isn't a HIPPA violation. You need to take off the tinfoil hat. It's restricting your ability to use critical thinking skills.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Yeah, I guess you really don't.  My doctor can not release my medical records to anyone that I didn't give him permission to.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/solutions-managing-your-practice/coding-billing-insurance/hipaahealth-insurance-portability-accountability-act.page?

Quoting AdellesMom:

No, it's not. Someone doesn't understand HIPPA.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Obama also is expected to present up to 19 executive actions that his administration will take, the lawmakers and advocates said. These steps include enhanced federal scientific research on gun violence and a modernized federal database system to track guns, criminals and the mentally ill. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-to-unveil-sweeping-gun-proposals-wednesday-including-assault-weapons-ban/2013/01/15/09452c34-5f31-11e2-9940-6fc488f3fecd_story.html

Tracking the mentally ill is a HIPPA violation.  I will not answer if my doctor asks me if own a gun, just like I wouldn't say anything if I were feeling depressed or anxious.  Would hate to end up on list because of an executive order by the current President.

Did you not see his speech yesterday?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Am I missing something?  I have not read that there is a proposed change to HIPPA laws, nor that clinicians are now being trained to ask you about guns, and you are somehow required to answer.

There is, and has always been, an exception in which your doctor can contact authorities if she believes you pose a threat to yourself or others due to your mental state.  

AdellesMom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not wearing any Obama goggles. You, on the other hand, cannot take off the "Obama is out to get us" tinfoil hat long enough to think for yourself.

From what I've read, I agree with some of that Act. However, I don't know everything about it. Obama's PROPOSAL doesn't infringe upon anything. It's a proposal, it hasn't even been enacted, and we don't know HOW it will be enacted. It's a proposal, and IDEA.

I love how you made up your own statistic. I don't care how responsible one can be with a gun. The fact of the matter is that everyone shouldn't own a gun. My friend's father shot at her a couple of weeks ago because he thought that she was an intruder. He has Alzheimers and he didn't recognize his own child. He could've killed her. He doesn't need a gun.

Our gun laws aren't working. We be better control. It's too easy to obtain a gun in certain states, and that needs to change.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

His propsal to make a data base of mental illness is against HIPPA policies.  You cannot do that!! 

? Do you agree with the things in the patriot act?  I really don't agree with that so much either.  It infringes on our rights.  Obamas proposal to have a list of anyone with a mental illness infringes on our rights.  

99% of people who own a gun do so responsibily!!  Legal gun owners are not an issue.  

The only I did agree with he said was a national crimal records check.  We have gun laws, they work. 

Obama is overstepping.  If my doctor asks if I have gun, he is overstepping, and I will find another doctor.  Somethings are no one's business!!

Quoting AdellesMom:

Info understand HIPPA. It's not a HIPPA violation. As it stands, nothing has been stated has to how this plan will be implemented. Until then, a propose plan isn't a HIPPA violation. You need to take off the tinfoil hat. It's restricting your ability to use critical thinking skills.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Yeah, I guess you really don't.  My doctor can not release my medical records to anyone that I didn't give him permission to.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/solutions-managing-your-practice/coding-billing-insurance/hipaahealth-insurance-portability-accountability-act.page?

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Obama also is expected to present up to 19 executive actions that his administration will take, the lawmakers and advocates said. These steps include enhanced federal scientific research on gun violence and a modernized federal database system to track guns, criminals and the mentally ill. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-to-unveil-sweeping-gun-proposals-wednesday-including-assault-weapons-ban/2013/01/15/09452c34-5f31-11e2-9940-6fc488f3fecd_story.html

Tracking the mentally ill is a HIPPA violation.  I will not answer if my doctor asks me if own a gun, just like I wouldn't say anything if I were feeling depressed or anxious.  Would hate to end up on list because of an executive order by the current President.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Am I missing something?  I have not read that there is a proposed change to HIPPA laws, nor that clinicians are now being trained to ask you about guns, and you are somehow required to answer.

There is, and has always been, an exception in which your doctor can contact authorities if she believes you pose a threat to yourself or others due to your mental state.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Redwall
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely not...it has nothing to do with my health.  And it's not her business, any more than if she asked me if I had an Ouiji board.  Not her business.  My answer would be no...

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I would simply answer with that is none of your business.  Now I don't and will never will but it still is not their business.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Exactly which Executive action proposes a data base of mental illness?

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Now, I know we've discussed this before.

Y'all stop thinkin' over there... you're never going to fit in.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sowwy.

It's these damned Obama goggles.  I think mine came with the Thinking Option.  No USB port though.

Quoting LindaClement:

Now, I know we've discussed this before.

Y'all stop thinkin' over there... you're never going to fit in.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM

You don't know what you're talking about HIPAA already permits the use covered in the president's EO. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/consumer_rights.pdf

1. Providers may use and disclose PHI without a person's authorization when the use or disclosure of PHI is required by law, including State statute or court order.
  2. Providers generally may disclose PHI to State and Federal public health authorities to prevent or control disease, injury, or disability, and to government authorities authorized to receive reports of child abuse and neglect.
  3. Providers may disclose PHI to appropriate government authorities in limited circumstances regarding victims of abuse, neglect, or domestic violence.
  4. Providers may disclose PHI to health oversight agencies, (e.g., the government agency which licenses the provider), for legally authorized health oversight activities, such as audits and investigations.
  5. PHI may be disclosed in a judicial or administrative proceeding if the request is pursuant to a court order, subpoena, or other lawful process (note that "more stringent" NYS Mental Hygiene law requires a court order for disclosure of mental health information in these circumstances).
  6. Providers may generally disclose PHI to law enforcement when:
    1. Required by law, or pursuant to a court order, subpoena, or an “administrative request,” such as a subpoena or summons (Note: the "more stringent" NYS Mental Hygiene Law section 33.13 requires a court order for disclosure of mental health information in these circumstances)The information sought must be relevant and limited to the inquiry.
    2. To identify or locate a suspect, fugitive, material witness or missing person (Note: under Mental Hygiene Law section 33.13 this information is limited to “identifying data concerning hospitalization”).
    3. In response to a law enforcement request for information about a victim of a crime (Note: under Mental Hygiene Law section 33.13 this information is limited to “identifying data concerning hospitalization”).
    4. To alert law enforcement about criminal conduct on the premises of a HIPAA covered entity.
  7. Providers may disclose PHI that they believe necessary to prevent or lessen a
    1. serious and imminent physical threat to a person or the public, when such disclosure is made to someone they believe can prevent or lessen the threat (including the target of the threat).
  8. An authorization is not required to use or disclose PHI to certain government
    1. programs providing public benefits or for enrollment in government benefit
    2. programs if the sharing of information is required or expressly authorized by statute or regulation, or other limited circumstances
Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

karisma22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not answer and if the pushed the issue I would find a new doctor.

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Doctors will start refusing to treat people with mental illness cause if they dont report something and they hurt someone the doctor will become liable. Also mentally ill people will stop going to the doctors or just plain lie. It wont work. That order is useless. But everyone did complain we need to handle the mentally ill and not gun control ....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN