Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you tell your doctor that....

Posted by   + Show Post

...you own guns, if you were asked?    Apparently, doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals are being trained to ask patients if they own guns and if so, do they also have young children or peopel in the househld that are mentally ill.  Now in theory, this sounds like a good idea, but what will they do with that information?  Give it to the police, child services, ????    Will the gun owners be placed on some type of watch list?    I honestly think if my health care provider asked me this question, I would not answer it.  

What you say if youi doctor asked if you had a gun in the house plus young children??

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Replies (171-180):
SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Hello! Doctors already are required by various laws to report patients who are a danger to themselves or others. How is this different???

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Doctors will start refusing to treat people with mental illness cause if they dont report something and they hurt someone the doctor will become liable. Also mentally ill people will stop going to the doctors or just plain lie. It wont work. That order is useless. But everyone did complain we need to handle the mentally ill and not gun control ....

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Someone with basic depression is not dangerous. Thats a mental illness. Severe anxiety. Mental illness. If anyone has even the smallest non harmful mental illness and has weapons they need to be reported. Inatead of reporting someone with schizophrenia only.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Hello! Doctors already are required by various laws to report patients who are a danger to themselves or others. How is this different???

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Doctors will start refusing to treat people with mental illness cause if they dont report something and they hurt someone the doctor will become liable. Also mentally ill people will stop going to the doctors or just plain lie. It wont work. That order is useless. But everyone did complain we need to handle the mentally ill and not gun control ....

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM

On what are you basing this information?  Cite specific language, not opinion, please.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Someone with basic depression is not dangerous. Thats a mental illness. Severe anxiety. Mental illness. If anyone has even the smallest non harmful mental illness and has weapons they need to be reported. Inatead of reporting someone with schizophrenia only. 

Sherri

KittyLicking.gif picture by wer4pu
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

boy the gun owners are a tad bit paranoid!

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Majority of the united states is considered depressed and they are not deemed dangerous! Its common sense.

Quoting PurdueMom:

On what are you basing this information?  Cite specific language, not opinion, please.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Then this is your opinion, not fact.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Majority of the united states is considered depressed and they are not deemed dangerous! Its common sense.

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Sherri

KittyLicking.gif picture by wer4pu
Nikkijessie
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:42 AM
I would just not answer it or say no why does ur dr need to know. If you got it put away were no one can get it that shouldn't have it then ur all right. There just finding another reason to make people out to be bad parents
mamalusbear
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:46 AM

If you're not mentally ill and you lock up your guns and have them legally, then what's the big deal about answering the question honestly? Where does the info go?

starri33
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I personally would tell him it didn't have anything to do with my health.

SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM

So if you or a family member go wheeling into the ER with a GSW, you'd lie to the doctor? "Er uh, no.. We don't have guns. No idea how he get shot!" LOL! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured