Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you tell your doctor that....

Posted by   + Show Post

...you own guns, if you were asked?    Apparently, doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals are being trained to ask patients if they own guns and if so, do they also have young children or peopel in the househld that are mentally ill.  Now in theory, this sounds like a good idea, but what will they do with that information?  Give it to the police, child services, ????    Will the gun owners be placed on some type of watch list?    I honestly think if my health care provider asked me this question, I would not answer it.  

What you say if youi doctor asked if you had a gun in the house plus young children??

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Replies (181-190):
MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Quoting PurdueMom:

Then this is your opinion, not fact.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Majority of the united states is considered depressed and they are not deemed dangerous! Its common sense.

Quoting PurdueMom:

On what are you basing this information?  Cite specific language, not opinion, please.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Someone with basic depression is not dangerous. Thats a mental illness. Severe anxiety. Mental illness. If anyone has even the smallest non harmful mental illness and has weapons they need to be reported. Inatead of reporting someone with schizophrenia only. 

Since this is common knowledge and easily looked up yourself.... http://www.cdc.gov/features/dsdepression/

Most of the united states is depressed. But not half of the united states is dangerous.

again took me 30 seconds to look it up. What mental illnesses are deemed dangerous and not http://science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih5/mental/guide/info-mental-c.htm

I was treated for depression and anxiety. Im not dangerous. I have a slew of guns in my house. My husband was treated for a mental illness. Again we are not even close to being dangerous. Guns in the house. We go shooting and know how to use them properly too.  Our doctors never deemed us dangerous. Sad maybe but not dangerous. If all sad people were dangerous this world would be a very different place. I mean that just common sense. You dont need facts for that logic.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I would say that the people infringing on gun rights are the paranoid people, since less than a percent of a percent of guns in this country are used in a crime, even if you assume that only one crime is committed with one gun.

Quoting glitterteaz:

boy the gun owners are a tad bit paranoid!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I am not the one scared to tell the person I pay to look out for my health I have a gun. Nice try though.

Quoting kailu1835:

I would say that the people infringing on gun rights are the paranoid people, since less than a percent of a percent of guns in this country are used in a crime, even if you assume that only one crime is committed with one gun.

Quoting glitterteaz:

boy the gun owners are a tad bit paranoid!

Redwall
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

In that it has nothing to do with the health of me or my family, no.  It's not my doctor's business....it'd be like asking if I have a baseball bat or a set of kitchen knives....or sleeping pills.

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM

No becuase it is none of thier business 

starri33
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:57 PM

rolling on floorit would actually depend on who got shot and how, if my husband was screwing around with his weapon and shot himself in the knee, then yes, I'd tell them we have guns, if he was standing outside and some A**hole came along in a car and shot him, No, I would not tell them.

Quoting SweetChild63:

So if you or a family member go wheeling into the ER with a GSW, you'd lie to the doctor? "Er uh, no.. We don't have guns. No idea how he get shot!" LOL! 

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:01 PM
It wouldn't bother me. No we don't own guns and no we won't, EVER.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:26 PM

No, I have no intention on telling an Dr. that information. 

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Any info a medical provider obtains about a patient is supposed to be held in strict confidence. 

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

wtfh...how is guns a hipaa violation

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Since Obama is now proposing violating HIPPA laws.. no way.

At this point I wouldn't seek help if I was feeling depressed or was having anxiety attacks either.  I do not want to be on list because the President invoked an executive order violating my personal rights.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Is there a law stating people must confide in their Dr. ? people lie to their medical providers all of the time. Not neccessarily smart but not illegal. 

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

if you are not going to follow the laws, then you are no longer a responsible gun owner. so you are not ok with being a criminal...ask me that question, i will answer truthfully because I am a responsible individual

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured