Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you tell your doctor that....

Posted by   + Show Post

...you own guns, if you were asked?    Apparently, doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals are being trained to ask patients if they own guns and if so, do they also have young children or peopel in the househld that are mentally ill.  Now in theory, this sounds like a good idea, but what will they do with that information?  Give it to the police, child services, ????    Will the gun owners be placed on some type of watch list?    I honestly think if my health care provider asked me this question, I would not answer it.  

What you say if youi doctor asked if you had a gun in the house plus young children??

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Replies (21-30):
mich.el.le
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

if you are not going to follow the laws, then you are no longer a responsible gun owner. so you are not ok with being a criminal...ask me that question, i will answer truthfully because I am a responsible individual

REfusing to answer the question or lying about it isn't illegal(yet).

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Asinine ....as usual. you couldnt even come up with a lame good response

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

so you dont know what hipaa is ok

Quoting Imacakebaker:

What I discuss with my doctor is between me and my doctor.  Not me, my doctor and our out of control government!!

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

wtfh...how is guns a hipaa violation

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Since Obama is now proposing violating HIPPA laws.. no way.

At this point I wouldn't seek help if I was feeling depressed or was having anxiety attacks either.  I do not want to be on list because the President invoked an executive order violating my personal rights.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

See, this bothers me.

I have PTSD from my time in the military.  It isn't connected to guns at all.  DH and I love hunting.  When DH is done with his time in the military, we plan to move back to MI, and do a lot of hunting to supplement our diet.  We love game.  I thoroughly enjoy venison.

But if things carry on as they are, will I even be allowed to own a gun to hunt with?  Will DH?

I used to do some bow hunting, but honestly I'm not sold on it.  It can be dangerous to shoot an animal with a bow and not kill it.  If I were to shoot an animal while bow hunting, I always had a gun as backup, in case said animal panicked and charged me, or was in undue pain and suffering.  I was certainly NOT as good as that chick in Hunger Games!

Plus, now the government has total access to my medical information through a loophole in the order.  If I go to a therapist and talk about the things that bother me, Big Brother Government could go taking a look, possibly take things out of context, even.  Why would I go to therapy and talk about what happened to me and the emotions involved when I would be afraid of how some third party with access to my information would react?

alliesaurus
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Our pediatrician actually had asked us that before well over a year ago.

I asked how that was relevant to the appointment. He then just pushed it off and said, "well it's just one of the questions here" and moved onto the next one.

..it was along with other health information- like does anyone in the home smoke or use tobacco products etc, ...I could see how that might be relevant to my childs health..im not sure how guns in the home affect my childs health. lol.

I honestly didn't have a problem answering, yes we do, i was mostly just confused why he asked and he just moved on instead of giving me a valid answer to why they might need this information.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Absolutely not. It is not the doctor's business whatsoever what I do in the privacy of my own home, or what I own.
Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:02 PM

HIPAA: Acronym that stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, a US law designed to provide privacy standards to protect patients' medical records and other health information provided to health plans, doctors, hospitals and other health care providers. Developed by the Department of Health and Human Services, these new standards provide patients with access to their medical records and more control over how their personal health information is used and disclosed. They represent a uniform, federal floor of privacy protections for consumers across the country. State laws providing additional protections to consumers are not affected by this new rule. HIPAA took effect on April 14, 2003.

Do you understand HIPPA?? 

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

so you dont know what hipaa is ok

Quoting Imacakebaker:

What I discuss with my doctor is between me and my doctor.  Not me, my doctor and our out of control government!!

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

wtfh...how is guns a hipaa violation

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Since Obama is now proposing violating HIPPA laws.. no way.

At this point I wouldn't seek help if I was feeling depressed or was having anxiety attacks either.  I do not want to be on list because the President invoked an executive order violating my personal rights.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
That is because there is no valid reason whatsoever for doctors to ask this question. It's a way of tracking who has guns. I will not be tracked.

Quoting alliesaurus:

Our pediatrician actually had asked us that before well over a year ago.

I asked how that was relevant to the appointment. He then just pushed it off and said, "well it's just one of the questions here" and moved onto the next one.

..it was along with other health information- like does anyone in the home smoke or use tobacco products etc, ...I could see how that might be relevant to my childs health..im not sure how guns in the home affect my childs health. lol.

I honestly didn't have a problem answering, yes we do, i was mostly just confused why he asked and he just moved on instead of giving me a valid answer to why they might need this information.

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I would tell them it was none of their business.

We don't own any guns now but would like to in the future. 

eema.gray
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:09 PM

My husband has PTSD from military service.  I have exactly the same concerns.  He doesn't seem to understand how his rights to medical privacy could, potentially be violated.  I, on the other hand, am terrified.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

See, this bothers me.

I have PTSD from my time in the military.  It isn't connected to guns at all.  DH and I love hunting.  When DH is done with his time in the military, we plan to move back to MI, and do a lot of hunting to supplement our diet.  We love game.  I thoroughly enjoy venison.

But if things carry on as they are, will I even be allowed to own a gun to hunt with?  Will DH?

I used to do some bow hunting, but honestly I'm not sold on it.  It can be dangerous to shoot an animal with a bow and not kill it.  If I were to shoot an animal while bow hunting, I always had a gun as backup, in case said animal panicked and charged me, or was in undue pain and suffering.  I was certainly NOT as good as that chick in Hunger Games!

Plus, now the government has total access to my medical information through a loophole in the order.  If I go to a therapist and talk about the things that bother me, Big Brother Government could go taking a look, possibly take things out of context, even.  Why would I go to therapy and talk about what happened to me and the emotions involved when I would be afraid of how some third party with access to my information would react?

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Alysse24
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Our child's pediatrician has been asking if there are guns in the home for at least the last 8 years.  I'm also asked if the kids use car seats, seat belts, brush their teeth, are around smokers, drink milk, wear a helmet while riding a bike or skateboard, and the basic family history which does include mental illness and chemical dependency.  I have no problem with the questions being asked and answer truthfully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)