Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you tell your doctor that....

Posted by   + Show Post

...you own guns, if you were asked?    Apparently, doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals are being trained to ask patients if they own guns and if so, do they also have young children or peopel in the househld that are mentally ill.  Now in theory, this sounds like a good idea, but what will they do with that information?  Give it to the police, child services, ????    Will the gun owners be placed on some type of watch list?    I honestly think if my health care provider asked me this question, I would not answer it.  

What you say if youi doctor asked if you had a gun in the house plus young children??

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Replies (41-50):
Billiejeens
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Yes, they are going to be required to submit the information into a Government database.

Quoting alliesaurus:

what just in their computer systems...or is this some sort of idea that they have to start filing papers or something to the gov't repoting families who admit to gun ownership? I thought medical information was private too?

Quoting kailu1835:

That is because there is no valid reason whatsoever for doctors to ask this question. It's a way of tracking who has guns. I will not be tracked.

Quoting alliesaurus:

Our pediatrician actually had asked us that before well over a year ago.

I asked how that was relevant to the appointment. He then just pushed it off and said, "well it's just one of the questions here" and moved onto the next one.

..it was along with other health information- like does anyone in the home smoke or use tobacco products etc, ...I could see how that might be relevant to my childs health..im not sure how guns in the home affect my childs health. lol.

I honestly didn't have a problem answering, yes we do, i was mostly just confused why he asked and he just moved on instead of giving me a valid answer to why they might need this information.

IntactivistMama
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM
3 moms liked this
Are they going to ask next if we have large dogs or hammers or chainsaws or kitchen knives!?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Obama also is expected to present up to 19 executive actions that his administration will take, the lawmakers and advocates said. These steps include enhanced federal scientific research on gun violence and a modernized federal database system to track guns, criminals and the mentally ill. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-to-unveil-sweeping-gun-proposals-wednesday-including-assault-weapons-ban/2013/01/15/09452c34-5f31-11e2-9940-6fc488f3fecd_story.html

Tracking the mentally ill is a HIPPA violation.  I will not answer if my doctor asks me if own a gun, just like I wouldn't say anything if I were feeling depressed or anxious.  Would hate to end up on list because of an executive order by the current President.

Did you not see his speech yesterday?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Am I missing something?  I have not read that there is a proposed change to HIPPA laws, nor that clinicians are now being trained to ask you about guns, and you are somehow required to answer.

There is, and has always been, an exception in which your doctor can contact authorities if she believes you pose a threat to yourself or others due to your mental state.  

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

so then you understand, it is not a HIPAA violation....

Quoting Imacakebaker:

So there is no reason for your doctor to ask, or for the patient to be expected to answer.

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

lol, yup, I work in healthcare and I know that saying anything about whether or not you own a gun is not a personal health issue.....

Quoting Imacakebaker:

HIPAA: Acronym that stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, a US law designed to provide privacy standards to protect patients' medical records and other health information provided to health plans, doctors, hospitals and other health care providers. Developed by the Department of Health and Human Services, these new standards provide patients with access to their medical records and more control over how their personal health information is used and disclosed. They represent a uniform, federal floor of privacy protections for consumers across the country. State laws providing additional protections to consumers are not affected by this new rule. HIPAA took effect on April 14, 2003.

Do you understand HIPPA?? 

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

so you dont know what hipaa is ok

Quoting Imacakebaker:

What I discuss with my doctor is between me and my doctor.  Not me, my doctor and our out of control government!!

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

wtfh...how is guns a hipaa violation

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Since Obama is now proposing violating HIPPA laws.. no way.

At this point I wouldn't seek help if I was feeling depressed or was having anxiety attacks either.  I do not want to be on list because the President invoked an executive order violating my personal rights.

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM
2 moms liked this

As fucking paranoid as you are being, I already am questioning if you should have guns...

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Obama also is expected to present up to 19 executive actions that his administration will take, the lawmakers and advocates said. These steps include enhanced federal scientific research on gun violence and a modernized federal database system to track guns, criminals and the mentally ill. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-to-unveil-sweeping-gun-proposals-wednesday-including-assault-weapons-ban/2013/01/15/09452c34-5f31-11e2-9940-6fc488f3fecd_story.html

Tracking the mentally ill is a HIPPA violation.  I will not answer if my doctor asks me if own a gun, just like I wouldn't say anything if I were feeling depressed or anxious.  Would hate to end up on list because of an executive order by the current President.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Am I missing something?  I have not read that there is a proposed change to HIPPA laws, nor that clinicians are now being trained to ask you about guns, and you are somehow required to answer.

There is, and has always been, an exception in which your doctor can contact authorities if she believes you pose a threat to yourself or others due to your mental state.  

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have guns in the house, and I would tell them it's none of their business.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I have nothing to hide. I have been asked before. They do it to make sure parents are using gun safety. When my kids were toddler they'd give me the whole bath safety information at every well baby check..LOL.  They aren't going to do anything with the info.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Same reason they ask if you smoke and how old your home is.

They ask for that information because it related to the physical health and safety of your child. Based an your answer they can provide you with resources or consultation depending on your families needs.

Nobody is out to get you.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM

That all depends on how it's done, and I haven't seen any details yet.  If it's, "I think this mentally ill person is a danger to himself and others" and that name goes into a database and a match comes up as a gun owner - maybe not.  Doctor is supposed to report to the authorities but I don't think they could input that person's name in a database without that person's approval, under HIPPA.

However, I doubt it would pass and if it did, it probably wouldn't hold up in court.

ETA:  It all depends on how that person's name or idenfication is used, and the credentials and training of the people using it.

So no, not necessarily a HIPPA violation.  We'll have to see how this proposed measure would be implemented.

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Mystres
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I never thought twice about that question.  but I think i will question them as to why they are asking next visit. 

And yes it it bothersome that they ask the same questions every time.  They should just ask, has any thing changed??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured