Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I don't have a disbility, I have SUPER POWERS!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

We had my 8yo ds tested last week. We were suspecting Autism for a long time but the Doctor said he has SPD (Sensory Processing disorder)

He's very sensitive to sounds, smells, touch, sight and craves a lot of movement. He'll have a melt down in the store because the lights are too bright. He can't wear certain clothing because it hurts. I can't count how many times he's gagged while I was making dinner :-(  Public school was a nightmare of smells, sounds and movements. (That's why we homeschool now)

I was trying to think of a way to explain to him what's going on. So I told him a story about a boy who had super powers. He could smell, feel, taste, and see things other people couldn't. He was also really strong and loved to move and climb and jump! My son got all excited and said, "He's just like me!" "I can do that too!" "Does that mean I have super powers?" And I told him, "You sure do babe." You sure do...

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
KedrynsMommie
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM
I *LOVE* this! Awesome job momma!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM

My daughter has Aspergers and we've not told her yet. I just didn't see a reason to tell her that she was different. I didn't want her to feel like something was wrong with her because she wasn't like most other kids.

I'm glad this explanation worked well for your son.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I understand.

Quoting edelweiss23:

Thank you!!!
I am still coming to grips with his diagnoses!!!

Quoting paganbaby:

There's an adorable book you need to get! It's called all cats have Aspergers. I'm going to pick up a copy for my friend.

Quoting edelweiss23:

I will have to keep that in mind as my son gets older. I will have to explain his autism to him as well

Quoting paganbaby:

Thank you :-)

I was wracking my brains trying to think of a way to explain it to him that won't make him think badly of himself. I think I got it,lol.

Quoting edelweiss23:

Cute way of explaining it!!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Please read: "Temple Grandin: How the girl who loved cows embraced autism and changed the world."

It is incredibly moving, and I suggest reading it to your son, too. The author is quite famous (you might already be familiar with her) and this book helped me, as a teacher, honor kids with autism and SPD's differences. I have another book recommendation, but I can't remember the title. I'll get back to you on that one.

Really, he doesn't have to be limited in life because of his differences. I think he absolutely should embrace his super hero powers and change the world.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Very nice.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Too cute :-) lol

Quoting AliKatAK47:

My kids think my dog has super powers because he can alert me to seizures. I love your explaination. 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM

happy

Quoting KedrynsMommie:

I *LOVE* this! Awesome job momma!!

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Most kids will reaslise that they are different. I chose to address it first before some bratty kid decided too.

How old is your dd?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

My daughter has Aspergers and we've not told her yet. I just didn't see a reason to tell her that she was different. I didn't want her to feel like something was wrong with her because she wasn't like most other kids.

I'm glad this explanation worked well for your son.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Thank you! *Off to the library*

Quoting desertlvn:

Please read: "Temple Grandin: How the girl who loved cows embraced autism and changed the world."

It is incredibly moving, and I suggest reading it to your son, too. The author is quite famous (you might already be familiar with her) and this book helped me, as a teacher, honor kids with autism and SPD's differences. I have another book recommendation, but I can't remember the title. I'll get back to you on that one.

Really, he doesn't have to be limited in life because of his differences. I think he absolutely should embrace his super hero powers and change the world.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM

The movie is really good also.

Quoting paganbaby:

Thank you! *Off to the library*

Quoting desertlvn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN