Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I don't have a disbility, I have SUPER POWERS!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

We had my 8yo ds tested last week. We were suspecting Autism for a long time but the Doctor said he has SPD (Sensory Processing disorder)

He's very sensitive to sounds, smells, touch, sight and craves a lot of movement. He'll have a melt down in the store because the lights are too bright. He can't wear certain clothing because it hurts. I can't count how many times he's gagged while I was making dinner :-(  Public school was a nightmare of smells, sounds and movements. (That's why we homeschool now)

I was trying to think of a way to explain to him what's going on. So I told him a story about a boy who had super powers. He could smell, feel, taste, and see things other people couldn't. He was also really strong and loved to move and climb and jump! My son got all excited and said, "He's just like me!" "I can do that too!" "Does that mean I have super powers?" And I told him, "You sure do babe." You sure do...

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Replies (21-30):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM

She will be 8 at the end of this month. Her brother has classic Autism and that's what Autism is to her. The differences and deficits are vast and he has lots of Therapists.  Though she is on the spectrum, she is very high functioning.  Not many people know or suspect she in on the spectrum unless I actually tell them.

Quoting paganbaby:

Most kids will reaslise that they are different. I chose to address it first before some bratty kid decided too.

How old is your dd?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

My daughter has Aspergers and we've not told her yet. I just didn't see a reason to tell her that she was different. I didn't want her to feel like something was wrong with her because she wasn't like most other kids.

I'm glad this explanation worked well for your son.

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Ds knew he was different. I explained that everyone is different, but some people are better at following what is considered "normal". I told him that it is better to have one great friend than many fake friends. He is much better at making friends. He just makes friends with kids who are developmentally the same age as him. He is almost 12, but behaves more like a 7 yr old. So many of his friends are between 7-10.

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM

It is. Last year I went to an amazing workshop that featured Temple and her mother; I even got to meet her. 

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

The movie is really good also.

Quoting paganbaby:

Thank you! *Off to the library*

Quoting desertlvn:

Please read: "Temple Grandin: How the girl who loved cows embraced autism and changed the world."

It is incredibly moving, and I suggest reading it to your son, too. The author is quite famous (you might already be familiar with her) and this book helped me, as a teacher, honor kids with autism and SPD's differences. I have another book recommendation, but I can't remember the title. I'll get back to you on that one.

Really, he doesn't have to be limited in life because of his differences. I think he absolutely should embrace his super hero powers and change the world.

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Quoting edelweiss23:

Cute way of explaining it!!!

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM

What was she like?!! I would love to meet her. Do you feel Claire Danes portrayed her well in the movie? Did you feel she was, IRL, as socially awkward as the movie portrayed her to be?

Quoting desertlvn:

It is. Last year I went to an amazing workshop that featured Temple and her mother; I even got to meet her. 

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

It was the highlight of my year! She was so CLEARLY autistic, in her speech, movements, and behavior. I had a smile on my face the entire time I was there. She was very very awkward and even though I expected it, my conversation with her kind of threw me for a loop. She was super abrupt, and very defined in her speech. I came away more inspired by anyone than I have ever though imaginable. 

I left the conference knowing that I would NEVER give up on my students. 

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

What was she like?!! I would love to meet her. Do you feel Claire Danes portrayed her well in the movie? Did you feel she was, IRL, as socially awkward as the movie portrayed her to be?

Quoting desertlvn:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:57 PM

way to handle a sensitive issue on a child size level!!! Awesome!

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Spectacular!  And you can build on it with the whole "with great power comes great responsibility" thing! 

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Just be careful with letting him think he has super powers. My older son has SID *Sensory Integration Disorder* it's basically the same as what your son has but with a different name LOL *gotta love those docs* His auntie told him he had super powers and he almost got himself hit by a car thinking he could just "jump over it with my super powers"

Oy

Unfortunately my boy has a touch of Autistic thinking, he takes everything very literally.

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM

You rock!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)