Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mother and her seven children jailed for 15 years in Egypt after converting back to Christianity

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM
  • 15 Replies

So much for new Egypt

sad

• Nadia Mohamed Ali and seven children jailed after converting to Christianity
  • Sentenced to 15 years in jail at a criminal court in Beni Suef, central Egypt
  • Seven others involved in the case sentenced to five years in jail

•  

A mother and her seven children have been jailed for 15 years for converting back to Christianity from Islam in Egypt.

Nadia Mohamed Ali was raised a Christian but converted to Islam 23 years ago when she married Mohamed Abdel-Wahhab Mustafa.

Following his death, she planned to convert back to her original faith, along with the rest of her family.

But a criminal court in Beni Suef, in central Egypt, sentenced them to jail for 15 years last week, according to reports.

Seven other people, who were involved in the case, were also sentenced to five years in jail.

Human rights advocates have now warned the sentence is a sign of things to come in Egypt under the Islamist government, according to Fox News.

The conversion came to light after the family attempted to get new identity cards in 2004.

According to Sky News, one of her children was arrested two years later and confessed the documents had been changed illegally when police noticed he had changed his name and became suspicious.

Nadia, her children and the clerks who processed the identity cards were subsequently arrested and charged.

Christians in the country have said they face difficulties if they have converted to Islam and wish to switch back, leading some to forge the documents, which could land them in jail.

Samuel Tadros, a research fellow at Hudson Institute's Center for Religious Freedom, has said while similar conversions had been common, the new Sharia-based constitution in Egypt was 'a real disaster' for religious freedom, according to Fox News.

He said: 'The cases will increase in the future.

'It will be much harder for people to return to Christianity.'

The constitution was pushed through last year by President Mohamed Morsi, who succeeded Hosni Mubarak following an election last June.

Secular and liberal groups, as well as Coptic Christians, opposed the constitution and protested against it at the time it was passed

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263727/Mother-Nadia-Mohamed-Ali-seven-children-jailed-15-years-Egypt-converting-Christianity-Islam.html#ixzz2IGmHrQTV

Your clitoris has over 8000 sensitive nerve endings.......... foreskin has over 20 000.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    1 mom liked this

While that's horribly sad, I also find it sad that so many Americans take their freedoms for granted while these kinds of things are happening within our time in other countries.

..MoonShine..
    by Redwood Witch on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    1 mom liked this

Ok wait...so they forged documents, but the title says they were sent to jail for simply converting? 

Oh...now I see the source. Nevermind. *smh* 

ETA: Looked for other sources, and I am still not convinced that they were arrested JUST for converting. They changed documents illegally. 

JoshRachelsMAMA
    by JRM on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    1 mom liked this
    God will reward them.
    Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
    Sekirei
    by Nari Trickster on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    3 moms liked this

No, they weren't imprisoned for converting.. they are in prison for forging documents. *sigh*

jaxTheMomm
    by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Why is the only source for this Fox News, according to their spin on one Arabic language newspaper?  (all other stories point to Fox which seems to point to the Arabic newspaper)

I'm not saying it's not true, but if they forged documents, then that's a whole nuther story.  Is there a non-biased spin on this, with hopefully more information regarding the crimes and sentance?

..MoonShine..
    by Redwood Witch on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Why is the only source for this Fox News, according to their spin on one Arabic language newspaper?  (all other stories point to Fox which seems to point to the Arabic newspaper)

I'm not saying it's not true, but if they forged documents, then that's a whole nuther story.  Is there a non-biased spin on this, with hopefully more information regarding the crimes and sentance?

Not really...I read the story on Yahoo (not exactly the best of sources, but the only one I found other than Fox or the garbage source in the OP). 

Sekirei
    by Nari Trickster on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Other than Faux and sites that are "oooohhhh Islam bad" I can't find anything unbiased. 

radioheid
    by Libertarian on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    1 mom liked this

Why would they feel the need to forge documents? That's the real question.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Imacakebaker
    by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    1 mom liked this

Christians in the country have said they face difficulties if they have converted to Islam and wish to switch back, leading some to forge the documents, which could land them in jail.

I think they were wanting to leave the country. 

The story is sad.  I would hate to be Christian there now they have an Islamist government. 

Quoting radioheid:

Why would they feel the need to forge documents? That's the real question.

12hellokitty
    by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    1 mom liked this

Quoting Sekirei:

Other than Faux and sites that are "oooohhhh Islam bad" I can't find anything unbiased. 

You  mean like Alternet or The Friendly Atheist....

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN