Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

On the topic of rare conditions..

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 48 Replies
I have a condition called Hypoglycemia. It is chronic blood sugar. Sounds fairly harmless, right? Wrong.

Most people have hypoglycemia as a symptom, not an illness. Often diabetic have hypoglycemic episodes where their sugar goes too far down. However I'm not (to my knowledge, I have had urine tests) diabetic. My BIL has it as a complication from his thyroid problem. I only know 1 other person who has it like I do, and she is 62 lol.
There is not a medicine or "cure" for this, other than a total lifestyle change (i have heard it may help in some cases, drastically altering your diet). I would like to find others who suffer from this. Over the years it had gotten worse and worse and although i've never passed out from it yet, I fear it will be soon. Any dr i've brought it up with basically brushed me off. one told me to eat more often. so basically all the time lol.

Do you have hypoglycemia, alone, not as a complication or symptom? Would you like to learn about it or discuss it? From what I understand it can be more dangerous than diabetes, yet it is swept under the rug.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoganTroyMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM
bump
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM

everything you describes sounds like symptoms i have had since forever. I often get dizzy to the point of seeing spots and nearly passing out while i was pg with my last child i did faint in wal-mart.. they told me I had gestational diabetes and controlled it well with my diet after i had my child i never went back for follow ups so i could still have the problem.. anyways thanks for the information

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I have Hypoglycemia it goes along with my Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatique.

lindsay89
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM
I know about 3 people with it. I don't think it's very rare to have but I do think controlling it by eating small frequent meals through out the day on a schedule would help you to manage it better
LoganTroyMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM
yeah. the symptoms i have are not the same as everyone's, but they are probably the most common. I first start to feel faint and weak, then dizzy, then its almost like i can feel my stomach acid attacking my stomach and i get a piercing headache followed by what i can only describe as a slowed brain.. i get confused, have trouble thinking, and my body moves slower too. that last one only developed in recent years, maybe only after i had my younger ds even (who is 1), but it's extremely scary. times when it gets bad like that i feel like i could lie down and never wake up.
When i feel my stomach getting that way i immediately drink something with sugar bc its absorbed faster. i can LITERALLY feel my body absorb it and myself return to normal. but then i crash again if i don't eat something substantial. it makes losing weight difficult. my pregnancy was normal, it even seemed to improve toward the last trimester. i can only assume that because gestatiional diabetes is too much insulin, and i make too little, it evened me out a bit.

Quoting SilverSterling:

everything you describes sounds like symptoms i have had since forever. I often get dizzy to the point of seeing spots and nearly passing out while i was pg with my last child i did faint in wal-mart.. they told me I had gestational diabetes and controlled it well with my diet after i had my child i never went back for follow ups so i could still have the problem.. anyways thanks for the information

LoganTroyMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM
it does. but it gets expensive, feeding myself seperately and far more often than dh and our 2 kids. also it interferes with daily life. i feel awful in the mornings even if i eat at like midnight because i wennt hours without.

from what i could find online, it seemed rare to have it as an illness, not just as a symptom of diabetes, etc.

Quoting lindsay89:

I know about 3 people with it. I don't think it's very rare to have but I do think controlling it by eating small frequent meals through out the day on a schedule would help you to manage it better
AliKatAK47
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I always thought that was on the lines of diabetes without being diabetes. I never even knew you had to have diabetes to be hypoglycemic. What do you do for it? 

LoganTroyMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM
do you think they are related? they wouldnt seem it to me but i'm not too educated on either, except that i know fibromyalgia runs in my family.

Quoting sweetmissy_05:

I have Hypoglycemia it goes along with my Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatique.

LoganTroyMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM
hypoglycemia is actually the opposite of diabetes. it is low blood sugar, whereas diabetes is too much blood sugar. many diabetics havee hypoglycemic episodes as they are more prone to it but you do not have to have diabtes to have hypoglycemia. many people experience hypoglycemic episodes if they do not eat for an extended period of time but mine is an all day every day battle. diabetes does run in my family and i am likely predisposed to it now due to already being hypoglycemic.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I always thought that was on the lines of diabetes without being diabetes. I never even knew you had to have diabetes to be hypoglycemic. What do you do for it? 

LoganTroyMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM
matter of fact when i was about 8wks pregnant i went to a concert and almost passed out due to my sugar being too low.

Quoting SilverSterling:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured