Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Man killed by van with dog behind the wheel

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 31 Replies

Florida man run over, killed after dog pushes vehicle's accelerator

A Florida man has died after a dog jumped into a van and pushed the accelerator, causing the vehicle to strike the man as he opened a gate outside of his home, authorities said.

The Florida Highway Patrol reported that 68-year-old James Campbell was pronounced dead at the scene by medical personnel.

The strange incident began as Campbell and Iris Fortner, 68, returned to their home in Cantonment, Fla., on the Florida Panhandle on Monday. 

According to an FHP report, while Fortner, who was driving, backed a 1995 Chevy van into their property, Campbell got out of the passenger's side of the vehicle to open a metal gate outside their home.

As Fortner opened the driver's side door to see where Campbell was standing, her large boxer came running toward the van and jumped in, pressing the accelerator, the report said. 

Before Fortner could stop the vehicle, it struck and ran over Campbell, trapping him under it, according to the report. He was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. 

Campbell's death is under investigation. Fortner has not been charged.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AliKatAK47
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM

That's why my dogs don't drive. I am having an issue visualizing this though.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM
2 moms liked this

My dogs drive for shit.  Had to take their keys away years ago.

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I have a shih tzu.  He would have to be jumping up and down on the accelerator for it to move.  He weighs about 12 pounds LOL.

LoganTroyMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM
i am having trouble visualizing this as well...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM

People leave their cars running, or in neutral, with dogs in the car.  It's happened before.  

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I'm having a bit of a time figuring out how the dog, since it jumped in on the passenger side,  could have landed on the accelerator hard enough to do that with the woman sitting in the drivers seat. Weird.

People really need to train their dogs, especially large ones, not only for the animals safety but also for theirs.

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM

same here....

Quoting AliKatAK47:

That's why my dogs don't drive. I am having an issue visualizing this though.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM

It's so bizarre though! I mean, if I jumped out of my car for something, I would put it in park.  Who puts it in neutral?   

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

People leave their cars running, or in neutral, with dogs in the car.  It's happened before.  

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting pansyprincess:

It's so bizarre though! I mean, if I jumped out of my car for something, I would put it in park.  Who puts it in neutral?   

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

morons

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM

This is why I have cats.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)