Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Home of gun Owner outed by Journal News burglarized ***UPDATED*** database removed by Journal News

Two handguns and two pistol permits were stolen from the New City home of a man whose name and address are listed on the website of a local newspaper as possessing gun permits, police said.

The thieves ransacked the house Wednesday night, breaking into two safes on the home's third floor and stealing a third safe. The guns were in the stolen safe, police said.

Clarkstown police said they had no evidence the burglary was connected to the controversial map.

"The burglary is still under investigation, and there are no facts to support this correlation at this time," Clarkstown Sgt. Joanne Fratianni said in a statement. "If the investigation develops further information, it will be released accordingly."

Family members at the burglarized home refused to speak publicly Thursday, and police are keeping reporters off the property on the quiet suburban street.

"At this early point in the investigation, we believe it is a random crime and the home was not targeted," Clarkstown Det. Lt. Charles Delo told News12.

The burglary comes less than a week after a White Plains homeowner -- who also was listed on the Journal News website as having gun permits -- arrived home to find his home burglarized, with jewelry missing and an attempted break-in of his gun safe. The thieves were not successful, and no guns were stolen.

White Plains Police Commissioner David Chong said Monday that it was "premature" to connect that burglary to the website listing but said it was part of the police investigation.

The guns that were stolen in New City included a .45-caliber Colt revolver and a .22-caliber Iver Johnson. Cash, U.S. savings bonds and jewelry were also stolen.

The homeowner's stolen pistol permits were for Rockland and Orange counties.

The Journal News has come under criticism from elected officials and police groups for posting the interactive map Dec. 23 that showed the names and addresses of all legal gun permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties.

The newspaper has not responded to numerous calls for comment.

The head of the White Plains Police Benevolent Association, Robert Riley, has been one of the fiercest critics of the Journal News map, saying it puts the lives of police and ordinary residents in potential danger.

"The Journal News printed a virtual treasure map for criminals," Riley said Monday. "It lets the bad guys know who is vulnerable, due to not having a gun permit, and where to go if they wanted a gun."

with Sarah Armaghan

UPDATE...

New York newspaper removes gun permit database from website after outcry
Published January 18, 2013
Associated Press
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – A suburban New York newspaper that outraged gun owners by posting the names and addresses of residents with handgun permits removed the information from its website Friday.
The Journal News took down the data just three days after the state enacted a gun control law that included privacy provisions for permit holders.
The provisions were a reaction to interactive maps the newspaper published on LoHud.com that pinpointed thousands of permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties.
Gun rights activists had immediately complained that permit owners' privacy was being violated. They said the map could guide burglars to their homes while police groups claimed the map could lead ex-convicts to the officers who had put them away.
The addresses of some Journal News staffers were posted online, and threats were called in to the newspaper's offices. The newspaper hired armed guards in response.
Janet Hasson, president and publisher of The Journal News Media Group, said in an emailed statement, "While the new law does not require us to remove the data, we believe that doing so complies with its spirit."
She said the maps had been viewed nearly 1.2 million times since they were published Dec. 23. The newspaper sought the records under the state Freedom of Information Law after the Dec. 14 elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn., where a gunman who had killed his mother at home killed 20 first-graders and six educators and then committed suicide.
The maps remained online late Friday but could no longer be manipulated to find names and addresses.
State Sen. Greg Ball, the most vocal opponent of the posting, said, "Thank God The Journal News has finally realized the error in their judgment and done the right thing. ... I am proud to have passed legislation keeping The Journal News from doing this ever again."
On Tuesday, as part of a gun control bill, the state Legislature passed and Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed new regulations that give permit holders several ways to opt out of the public record.
Applicants can ask to be exempted because they are police officers or served on criminal-case juries or are victims of domestic violence. They also can just say they might be subjected to harassment.
Hasson said Friday, "One of our core missions as a newspaper is to empower our readers with as much information as possible on the critical issues they face, and guns have certainly become a top issue since the massacre in nearby Newtown, Conn."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/18/new-york-newspaper-removes-gun-permit-database-from-website-after-outcry/#ixzz2IRezYVti

....I am only responsible for what I say,NOT for what you understand.....
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:55 AM
Replies (21-26):
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM
What makes you think there's a connection between the two burglaries? No one is saying that its the same perp. The one thing that they both have in common is that the owners both appeared on the gun list.

Quoting pansyprincess:

So if a house was robbed in my town, and another 50 miles away, there needs to be a connection?  It isn't possible that it was just a random robbery?  I just think it's a reach to say that two robberies happened in the span of a week 50 miles apart, and there is a connection.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

New City and White Plains are in two different counties and 46 miles apart separated by the Hudson River.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Are you for real?  2 house robberies in a week make it not random? Do you know anything at all about this area?  Maybe 2 robberies a week is normal in this area.  Maybe there is a string of robberies happening right now.  About a year ago there were like 30 houses robbed in my town and the 3 surrounding towns.  No gun list was posted.  It was a ring of thieves.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting turtle68:

this is exactly what I thought would happen....everyone on here seemed to think it was a map for those who DIDNT have guns.

You have to understand thieves vs home invaders ....and most drug riddled theives will rob easy marks.  Guns are worth easy money...wait for homeowner to leave and bam, easy cash.  They arent interested in those who have nothing.

Not to mention that this may ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with a list and was just the victim of random burglers

If it was random, why did it happen 2 times in a span of a week?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Ummm ... the person who I originally quoted and was replying to? 

She said this "If it was random, why did it happen 2 times in a span of a week?"

That was what I was replying to.  To me, two robberies 50 miles apart that happened in the span of one week is not proof that it had anything to do with the gun list.  For all we know 5 hours that were NOT on the gun list were robbed.  Bottom line is, ANY house that is robbed in the area of the list is going to be blamed on the list now.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

What makes you think there's a connection between the two burglaries? No one is saying that its the same perp. The one thing that they both have in common is that the owners both appeared on the gun list.

Quoting pansyprincess:

So if a house was robbed in my town, and another 50 miles away, there needs to be a connection?  It isn't possible that it was just a random robbery?  I just think it's a reach to say that two robberies happened in the span of a week 50 miles apart, and there is a connection.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

New City and White Plains are in two different counties and 46 miles apart separated by the Hudson River.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Are you for real?  2 house robberies in a week make it not random? Do you know anything at all about this area?  Maybe 2 robberies a week is normal in this area.  Maybe there is a string of robberies happening right now.  About a year ago there were like 30 houses robbed in my town and the 3 surrounding towns.  No gun list was posted.  It was a ring of thieves.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting turtle68:

this is exactly what I thought would happen....everyone on here seemed to think it was a map for those who DIDNT have guns.

You have to understand thieves vs home invaders ....and most drug riddled theives will rob easy marks.  Guns are worth easy money...wait for homeowner to leave and bam, easy cash.  They arent interested in those who have nothing.

Not to mention that this may ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with a list and was just the victim of random burglers

If it was random, why did it happen 2 times in a span of a week?

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Until a few days ago we've never kept ammo in the safe with the guns. Now we do. Clips are loaded, not in the guns.

ohmybaby
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Well the police are correct... they can't prove that the thefts were related to the article/ map that posted names and addresses.  Since one of those addresses is yours I would step up security... alarm system on doors and windows.  I would make sure my guns were not only locked up but well hidden. 

I think the newspaper that allowed this should have to pay for a security watch company on every address they posted.  As far as I'm concerned they jedpardised the safety of all those people to be retaliated against gun haters.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

My name and address is on that list. And, with the use of Google Earth, a pix of my house.

The sky isn't falling, but heaven help anyone that attempts to burglarize THIS home. That person will get more than 7 rounds center mass.

Quoting UpSheRises:

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Grab your guns...we have to run and tell the king!

LuvmyAiden
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM

The publication should be charged. The correlation is obvious. THIS is what happens when you criminalize legal gun owners.

lga1965
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

If its not guns, its the economy or that commie President who was born in Kenya. @@. Been there,done that.Give it a rest.

My in-laws home was broken into about 40 years ago and the only thing stolen were two hunting rifles. There was no list published in the paper. He thinks someone overheard him discussing a hunting trip and decided to break in. He was a well known accountant in a small town and many people would know where he lived.But who really knows? How can you know?

Its just not predictable and you can't find a definite reason.

People need to calm down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN