Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Y'all come to Texas, state official tells New York gun owners

Posted by   + Show Post

(Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has a message for New York gun owners: Come to Texas, and bring your guns with you.

"Texas is better than New York, and New York just gave us another excuse to say that," Abbott, a Republican, said on Thursday, after ads extolling Texas appeared on several media websites.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, signed sweeping gun-control legislation earlier this week expanding the state's ban on assault weapons and putting limits on ammunition capacity in the wake of last month's school shootings in Connecticut.

Abbott, a possible candidate for governor of Texas in next year's election, used campaign money to buy ads on websites of news organizations in New York City and Albany.

One ad says in classic Western script: "WANTED: Law abiding New York gun owners seeking lower taxes and greater opportunities."

Clicking on the ad leads to a Facebook page touting the virtues of Texas, including the fact that the state has no income tax so "you'll be able to keep more of what you earn and use that extra money to buy more ammo."

Abbott told Reuters the ads are a "way to tweak our liberal friends up in the Northeast."

"It is tongue in cheek, but there is a deeper message here," he said. "Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country. Over the last decade, more than 4 million people moved to this state, and one reason is freedom and one reason is economic opportunity."

Abbott has said he will file a federal lawsuit to throw out any nationwide gun restrictions implemented by Congress.

A Cuomo spokesman did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

(Editing by Corrie MacLaggan and Jackie Frank)

source

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM
6 moms liked this
Ya know. After reading the hateful replies from women on here about us Texans, I am so embarrassed to be an American. How can a country move forward and prosper when there is so much hatred and infighting? It's stupid. And I am at the point where I just want to tell then all to go screw themselves. I am NOT at joke. My family it not a joke and how dare you insult me.
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM
5 moms liked this
Quoting pansyprincess:

Good for you. I don't want a hateful person such are yourself any where near my children.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM
6 moms liked this
I'm with you.

I love it here and its not a joke to live here. We're military and honestly this is our favorite place to live of the places we've been...

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Ya know. After reading the hateful replies from women on here about us Texans, I am so embarrassed to be an American. How can a country move forward and prosper when there is so much hatred and infighting? It's stupid. And I am at the point where I just want to tell then all to go screw themselves. I am NOT at joke. My family it not a joke and how dare you insult me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Oh god, relax.  No one is talking about you or your children.  I have a few friends that moved to Texas.  They are wonderful lovely people ... but agree that a good portion of the population there is bat shit crazy, and so are a bunch of the legislators.  Why are you taking this like a personal affront?  I don't get upset when people say Jersy is gross because they've watched Jersey shore.  I live in one of the best educated and lowest amount of poverty states.  I'm good with that.

As for hate, it's not a part of my life.  Which is why there is entirely too much of it in Texas, and I wouldn't want to show my children that.  Racism, pushing religion down people's throats, bad education, guns in every house, ... just not something I would want my family to be around.  And there in lies the beauty of this country ... we don't have to agree, and we don't have to be neighbors. 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Good for you. I don't want a hateful person such are yourself any where near my children.

Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM
6 moms liked this
First, that will never happen. People THINK we can just up and leave that it's written in our constitution when it really isn't. We can't leave.

Second, IF it was possible the rest of the US would suffer and no it's not my Texas pride saying that. We have either the most or 2nd most (Cali is the other state) of oil refineries. Imagine how much higher a gallon of gas would be if we were no longer part of the US. Have you heard of the strategic oil reserves? Yup some of that is here as well.

Our GDP rivals that of small countries. Once again imagine if the things we make and grow here were no longer as cheap, like beef.

The rest of the country would suffer if we left.

Your comment is sadly biased and while I don't agree with some of the things our attorney general has said your comment is down right silly.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I know that Texas can't secede.  Geesh ... I was saying it as a joke since Texans are always talking about how they want to ... I also think Texas would suffer WAY more than the rest of the US if they seceded. 

Quoting Roxygurl:

First, that will never happen. People THINK we can just up and leave that it's written in our constitution when it really isn't. We can't leave.

Second, IF it was possible the rest of the US would suffer and no it's not my Texas pride saying that. We have either the most or 2nd most (Cali is the other state) of oil refineries. Imagine how much higher a gallon of gas would be if we were no longer part of the US. Have you heard of the strategic oil reserves? Yup some of that is here as well.

Our GDP rivals that of small countries. Once again imagine if the things we make and grow here were no longer as cheap, like beef.

The rest of the country would suffer if we left.

Your comment is sadly biased and while I don't agree with some of the things our attorney general has said your comment is down right silly.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol, I think I'll stay here in NY! I'm pretty sure Texas made the list of top 10 most dangerous states in the US. I posted these numbers on another thread, but I think they fit nicely here too;

In overall firearms deaths, Texas is 26th highest, while NY is 46th highest. In overall violent crime, Texas is the 13th highest, NY is the 25th. Texas is 21st highest in rapes, NY is number 50. In burglary, Texas is 11th highest, while NY is 48th.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Quoting Erinelizz:

Lol, I think I'll stay here in NY! I'm pretty sure Texas made the list of top 10 most dangerous states in the US. I posted these numbers on another thread, but I think they fit nicely here too;

In overall firearms deaths, Texas is 26th highest, while NY is 46th highest. In overall violent crime, Texas is the 13th highest, NY is the 25th. Texas is 21st highest in rapes, NY is number 50. In burglary, Texas is 11th highest, while NY is 48th.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/10-most-violent-states_n_848317.html#s263598&title=6_Texas

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Thanks Roma. I actually thought it was 10th, but I see it's up to #6 now. I think I'll stay out of Louisiana and Tennesee too.
I love New York!

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Erinelizz:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/10-most-violent-states_n_848317.html#s263598&title=6_Texas

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Erinelizz:

Thanks Roma. I actually thought it was 10th, but I see it's up to #6 now. I think I'll stay out of Louisiana and Tennesee too.
I love New York!

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Erinelizz:

You're welcome.  I had to do some research this morning because of the other gun rights thread on Florida's crime (they are 4th on this list).  I'm in NJ and we aren't on these most dangerous lists either.  I'll stay here too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN