Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Y'all come to Texas, state official tells New York gun owners

Posted by   + Show Post

(Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has a message for New York gun owners: Come to Texas, and bring your guns with you.

"Texas is better than New York, and New York just gave us another excuse to say that," Abbott, a Republican, said on Thursday, after ads extolling Texas appeared on several media websites.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, signed sweeping gun-control legislation earlier this week expanding the state's ban on assault weapons and putting limits on ammunition capacity in the wake of last month's school shootings in Connecticut.

Abbott, a possible candidate for governor of Texas in next year's election, used campaign money to buy ads on websites of news organizations in New York City and Albany.

One ad says in classic Western script: "WANTED: Law abiding New York gun owners seeking lower taxes and greater opportunities."

Clicking on the ad leads to a Facebook page touting the virtues of Texas, including the fact that the state has no income tax so "you'll be able to keep more of what you earn and use that extra money to buy more ammo."

Abbott told Reuters the ads are a "way to tweak our liberal friends up in the Northeast."

"It is tongue in cheek, but there is a deeper message here," he said. "Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country. Over the last decade, more than 4 million people moved to this state, and one reason is freedom and one reason is economic opportunity."

Abbott has said he will file a federal lawsuit to throw out any nationwide gun restrictions implemented by Congress.

A Cuomo spokesman did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

(Editing by Corrie MacLaggan and Jackie Frank)

source

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (121-130):
juju40
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Ultra_
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

It's the worst ever based on what?

Quoting GLWerth:

They can declare themselves the "Gun totin' Republic of Jesusland" and we can arrange an airlift for the sane people to get out before all hell breaks loose in there.

Though, I'd feel sorry for those in neighboring states, as their air quality would suffer quite a bit as there would be no regulations in the GTRoJ and there would be a lot of toxic runoff into the Gulf.

DH is in Dallas right now and he says it is the most awful city he's ever been in....and that includes Bangkok, Mexico City, and Shanghai.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Why?  Texas is constantly saying how they want to secede ... I saw let 'em! 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?

Wow. That's a jerk move.

juju40
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Texas is very safe at least my city is...New York safe?they only throw people off the subway and half of the police force is corrupt no thank you

Quoting greenie63:

Roma, I have to say thank you for being one of the most logical, kind, and factual Cafe moms I've ever encountered here! I think I love you lol. I am sad that my state made #10, so maybe I'll head to New York where it's safe, but at least it's safer than Texas! 

Quoting Erinelizz:

Thanks Roma. I actually thought it was 10th, but I see it's up to #6 now. I think I'll stay out of Louisiana and Tennesee too.
I love New York!

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Erinelizz:

Lol, I think I'll stay here in NY! I'm pretty sure Texas made the list of top 10 most dangerous states in the US. I posted these numbers on another thread, but I think they fit nicely here too;

In overall firearms deaths, Texas is 26th highest, while NY is 46th highest. In overall violent crime, Texas is the 13th highest, NY is the 25th. Texas is 21st highest in rapes, NY is number 50. In burglary, Texas is 11th highest, while NY is 48th.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/10-most-violent-states_n_848317.html#s263598&title=6_Texas

batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM
I'm sure anyone sick with the flu won't be playing soccer. New York City regardless is a part of New York state. But whatever, there is a large amount of government regulations there.

Quoting Erinelizz:

The high five ban was not NY, it was a youth soccer league's decision in order to stop the spread of the flu. The prescription tracking is a proposal, not anything that has passed. The soda thing...as dumb as that is, that's the city, not the state.

Wanna hear some stupid laws in Texas?

• In Kingsville, there is a law against two pigs having sex on the city’s airport property.

• In Lefors, Texas it is illegal to take more than three swallows of beer at any time while standing.

• In Mesquite, Texas it is illegal for kids to have unusual haircuts.

• A recently passed anti-crime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.

Not trying to bash Texas here because the list of stupid laws in NY is just as long, but the point is, there are crazy laws everywhere.

Quoting batmansgirl:

It's kinda funny the people bashing Texas. When New York has just recently passed a ban against players giving high fives during games, and putting tracking devices on prescription bottles of narcotics. Are New Yorkers incapable of governing their own lives or do they require government control at every level? Don't forget large sodas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM
2 moms liked this
This thread is a bunch of bullcrap. And I am starting to remember why I left cafemom in the first place. "The place for moms". Yeah right n more like the place for self righteous snots who look down on anyone who has an opinion of their own. God forbid I think for myself and don't just go along with what the news feeds me. But ya know, I'm from Texas and all so I must be a gun toting uneducated loon.

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this

NY is not completely made up of NYC.  The state is quite safe.

Quoting juju40:

Texas is very safe at least my city is...New York safe?they only throw people off the subway and half of the police force is corrupt no thank you

Quoting greenie63:

Roma, I have to say thank you for being one of the most logical, kind, and factual Cafe moms I've ever encountered here! I think I love you lol. I am sad that my state made #10, so maybe I'll head to New York where it's safe, but at least it's safer than Texas! 

Quoting Erinelizz:

Thanks Roma. I actually thought it was 10th, but I see it's up to #6 now. I think I'll stay out of Louisiana and Tennesee too.
I love New York!

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Erinelizz:

Lol, I think I'll stay here in NY! I'm pretty sure Texas made the list of top 10 most dangerous states in the US. I posted these numbers on another thread, but I think they fit nicely here too;

In overall firearms deaths, Texas is 26th highest, while NY is 46th highest. In overall violent crime, Texas is the 13th highest, NY is the 25th. Texas is 21st highest in rapes, NY is number 50. In burglary, Texas is 11th highest, while NY is 48th.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/10-most-violent-states_n_848317.html#s263598&title=6_Texas

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I lived in TX for a few years and it was a good place to live ... but entirely too hot for me. We retired from the military in SC and it has it's pluses and minuses, but at this point we're looking seriously at Alaska. SC is just as hot as TX, and humid as well (we were in west TX). I can handle cold, and I can handle long winters ... but I'm sick to death of the laws, the codes, the red tape, the taxes, and patting criminals on the head and telling them it's ok ~ mixed up with a bunch of pansies that seem to think that letting the gov't., cops, and criminals have guns (but no one else) is a wonderful thing. I'd rather deal with the grizzlies than the meth heads, the illegals, and the suicidal gun control fans.

I won't be able to see Russia lol, but I can buy property that will allow me to watch the whales play. There's no state tax, a nice kickback for permanent residents, and hardly any neighbors unless you live in one of the three major cities. That works for me ... not to mention the rest of the people who live there actually appreciate others who are capable and don't need a gubmint nanny holding their hand.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I had to Urban Dictionary that one lol

Quoting Farmlady09:

I lived in TX for a few years and it was a good place to live ... but entirely too hot for me. We retired from the military in SC and it has it's pluses and minuses, but at this point we're looking seriously at Alaska. SC is just as hot as TX, and humid as well (we were in west TX). I can handle cold, and I can handle long winters ... but I'm sick to death of the laws, the codes, the red tape, the taxes, and patting criminals on the head and telling them it's ok ~ mixed up with a bunch of pansies that seem to think that letting the gov't., cops, and criminals have guns (but no one else) is a wonderful thing. I'd rather deal with the grizzlies than the meth heads, the illegals, and the suicidal gun control fans.

I won't be able to see Russia lol, but I can buy property that will allow me to watch the whales play. There's no state tax, a nice kickback for permanent residents, and hardly any neighbors unless you live in one of the three major cities. That works for me ... not to mention the rest of the people who live there actually appreciate others who are capable and don't need a gubmint nanny holding their hand.

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Quoting Farmlady09:

If we didn't have to go to court to be allowed to move (bio dad issues with the kids) dh would pack us up in a heartbeat and move us to Alaska. He could get a pretty decent job there through the federal government (park police) and we could live in so much more peace. And see snow my kids have never seen snow, and I've only seen it once. Only downfall is we would have to find jobs for my parents and sister because I would drag them with me. Lol
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Of course I am. 

Quoting juju40:

are you serious???STFU about Texas damn

Quoting pansyprincess:

OMG this made me laugh out loud!  Texas is like the joke of this country ... between their textbooks for school, their constant desire to secede, their insane law makers ... hahah ... you are too funny!

We'll keep Austin ... the rest of Texas can go!

Quoting pvtjokerus:

"Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured