Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Y'all come to Texas, state official tells New York gun owners

Posted by   + Show Post

(Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has a message for New York gun owners: Come to Texas, and bring your guns with you.

"Texas is better than New York, and New York just gave us another excuse to say that," Abbott, a Republican, said on Thursday, after ads extolling Texas appeared on several media websites.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, signed sweeping gun-control legislation earlier this week expanding the state's ban on assault weapons and putting limits on ammunition capacity in the wake of last month's school shootings in Connecticut.

Abbott, a possible candidate for governor of Texas in next year's election, used campaign money to buy ads on websites of news organizations in New York City and Albany.

One ad says in classic Western script: "WANTED: Law abiding New York gun owners seeking lower taxes and greater opportunities."

Clicking on the ad leads to a Facebook page touting the virtues of Texas, including the fact that the state has no income tax so "you'll be able to keep more of what you earn and use that extra money to buy more ammo."

Abbott told Reuters the ads are a "way to tweak our liberal friends up in the Northeast."

"It is tongue in cheek, but there is a deeper message here," he said. "Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country. Over the last decade, more than 4 million people moved to this state, and one reason is freedom and one reason is economic opportunity."

Abbott has said he will file a federal lawsuit to throw out any nationwide gun restrictions implemented by Congress.

A Cuomo spokesman did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

(Editing by Corrie MacLaggan and Jackie Frank)

source

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (131-140):
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Seriously. haha. People think NY and only see NYC. Which is an amazing city. But they forget about the Adirondacks ... :)
Quoting Erinelizz:

NY is not completely made up of NYC.  The state is quite safe.

Quoting juju40:

Texas is very safe at least my city is...New York safe?they only throw people off the subway and half of the police force is corrupt no thank you

Quoting greenie63:

Roma, I have to say thank you for being one of the most logical, kind, and factual Cafe moms I've ever encountered here! I think I love you lol. I am sad that my state made #10, so maybe I'll head to New York where it's safe, but at least it's safer than Texas! 

Quoting Erinelizz:

Thanks Roma. I actually thought it was 10th, but I see it's up to #6 now. I think I'll stay out of Louisiana and Tennesee too.
I love New York!

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Erinelizz:

Lol, I think I'll stay here in NY! I'm pretty sure Texas made the list of top 10 most dangerous states in the US. I posted these numbers on another thread, but I think they fit nicely here too;

In overall firearms deaths, Texas is 26th highest, while NY is 46th highest. In overall violent crime, Texas is the 13th highest, NY is the 25th. Texas is 21st highest in rapes, NY is number 50. In burglary, Texas is 11th highest, while NY is 48th.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/10-most-violent-states_n_848317.html#s263598&title=6_Texas

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I grew up on the East Coast.   I spent many years traveling New England.   I loved it, it was beautiful.   As far as living there, I have been to both places long enough to know I wouldn't live on the east coast again.  I will take texas any day.   Massachetts has gotten ridiculous and so has most of east coast.  You can have it.  You can have the land of liberal secularism, I had enough of it to last me a lifetime.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Anyone who is in love with texas the way that you are wouldn't fair well in NYC.  They are like two different worlds.  To say Texas is better than NY is dependent on what makes something "better".  Given that the two groups of people probably have a different definition of "better" I'm not sure there will be any agreement on that.  I would only move to Texas if I was poor.  Otherwise I am happy to live in the land of liberal secularism.

Quoting candlegal:

I can guarantee you Texans don't really give a crap.  Texas is way better than New York.   Gov. Cuomo is a joke.

Quoting greenie63:

I doubt New Yorkers will appreciate the comment "Texas is better than New York." 

Yay to Gov. Cuomo for taking a stand against violence! 

Emilytrademark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I live near Dallas and it's a beautiful city, with mostly friendly, intelligent, progressive and successful people.

I have travelled to many countries on every continent on this Earth. Every place has it's unique charm. I'm sorry that your DH can't see that.

Quoting GLWerth:

They can declare themselves the "Gun totin' Republic of Jesusland" and we can arrange an airlift for the sane people to get out before all hell breaks loose in there.

Though, I'd feel sorry for those in neighboring states, as their air quality would suffer quite a bit as there would be no regulations in the GTRoJ and there would be a lot of toxic runoff into the Gulf.

DH is in Dallas right now and he says it is the most awful city he's ever been in....and that includes Bangkok, Mexico City, and Shanghai.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Why?  Texas is constantly saying how they want to secede ... I saw let 'em! 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?

Wow. That's a jerk move.

BabyFruit Ticker
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM
That was exactly my point from early. A liberal free spirit atheist like myself LOVES it here. Someone like you will not. This area is much better suited for me. Not for you. That's doesn't make Texas BETTER ... it makes it better for you. But when it comes to things like education, facts don't lie. NY and NJ (where I am) are better educated states.
Quoting candlegal:

I grew up on the East Coast.   I spent many years traveling New England.   I loved it, it was beautiful.   As far as living there, I have been to both places long enough to know I wouldn't live on the east coast again.  I will take texas any day.   Massachetts has gotten ridiculous and so has most of east coast.  You can have it.  You can have the land of liberal secularism, I had enough of it to last me a lifetime.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Anyone who is in love with texas the way that you are wouldn't fair well in NYC.  They are like two different worlds.  To say Texas is better than NY is dependent on what makes something "better".  Given that the two groups of people probably have a different definition of "better" I'm not sure there will be any agreement on that.  I would only move to Texas if I was poor.  Otherwise I am happy to live in the land of liberal secularism.

Quoting candlegal:

I can guarantee you Texans don't really give a crap.  Texas is way better than New York.   Gov. Cuomo is a joke.

Quoting greenie63:

I doubt New Yorkers will appreciate the comment "Texas is better than New York." 

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM

That told me everything I needed to know.  And yes, Texas is better

Quoting pansyprincess:

That was exactly my point from early. A liberal free spirit atheist like myself LOVES it here. Someone like you will not. This area is much better suited for me. Not for you. That's doesn't make Texas BETTER ... it makes it better for you. But when it comes to things like education, facts don't lie. NY and NJ (where I am) are better educated states.
Quoting candlegal:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting greenie63:

krisd336
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I was born and raised in Texas <3 I currently live in Oklahoma and would love nothing more than to eventually move home. I support the 2nd amendment, so does my great state. Yes, we're loud and proud, I've traveled quite a bit (stateside) and have never been anywhere where I've seen half as much state pride. I just find it interesting that for some people who have never lived there or even visited to have such negative opinions of the state and its people. But that's part of living in America... we are all entitled to our own opinions :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kokoscold
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Because if you don't think like them, its ok to mock you, group you together, stereotype all they want and be outright nasty. Now if you think JUST like the rest, you're all good.  Sometimes it's entertaining as all hell to see the "tolerance" here, other times it's just frustrating. 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Ya know. After reading the hateful replies from women on here about us Texans, I am so embarrassed to be an American. How can a country move forward and prosper when there is so much hatred and infighting? It's stupid. And I am at the point where I just want to tell then all to go screw themselves. I am NOT at joke. My family it not a joke and how dare you insult me.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I use the term as a slam to a bunch of overpaid, underworked elected officials because our actual 'government' is a fiasco imo. It doesn't deserve the more respectful term of 'government'.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I had to Urban Dictionary that one lol

Quoting Farmlady09:

I lived in TX for a few years and it was a good place to live ... but entirely too hot for me. We retired from the military in SC and it has it's pluses and minuses, but at this point we're looking seriously at Alaska. SC is just as hot as TX, and humid as well (we were in west TX). I can handle cold, and I can handle long winters ... but I'm sick to death of the laws, the codes, the red tape, the taxes, and patting criminals on the head and telling them it's ok ~ mixed up with a bunch of pansies that seem to think that letting the gov't., cops, and criminals have guns (but no one else) is a wonderful thing. I'd rather deal with the grizzlies than the meth heads, the illegals, and the suicidal gun control fans.

I won't be able to see Russia lol, but I can buy property that will allow me to watch the whales play. There's no state tax, a nice kickback for permanent residents, and hardly any neighbors unless you live in one of the three major cities. That works for me ... not to mention the rest of the people who live there actually appreciate others who are capable and don't need a gubmint nanny holding their hand.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM

All 5 of our boys (we're a blended family) are grown and living on their own, so we don't have anyone to really consider outside of DH's parents. My parents have sadly both passed away over the past two years, and our boys are scattered between WA, MT, PA, SC, and Italy (and they all like to travel lol). I figure any state that will allow me to buy 20 acres of land with a distant ocean view for under $10 grand, build any home I like on it (as long as the roof is properly secured), and where I can still plant my garden and raise my animals is a good place to be. The fact that people in AK are not only in favor of guns (as ONLY a place where grizzlies tear up the front porch if you don't dissuade them) but support the Constitution ... and I'm not finding a downside (even with my RA issues!).

I know I'd have been happier if I'd been born in the 1700's lol. Life today lacks any sort of challenge, and I'm not into the superficial consumer hobbies. We live sustainably, already have solar/live off grid, and raise or grow all of our own food. I have no doubt that we'll be quite happy there.

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting Farmlady09:

I lived in TX for a few years and it was a good place to live ... but entirely too hot for me. We retired from the military in SC and it has it's pluses and minuses, but at this point we're looking seriously at Alaska. SC is just as hot as TX, and humid as well (we were in west TX). I can handle cold, and I can handle long winters ... but I'm sick to death of the laws, the codes, the red tape, the taxes, and patting criminals on the head and telling them it's ok ~ mixed up with a bunch of pansies that seem to think that letting the gov't., cops, and criminals have guns (but no one else) is a wonderful thing. I'd rather deal with the grizzlies than the meth heads, the illegals, and the suicidal gun control fans.

I won't be able to see Russia lol, but I can buy property that will allow me to watch the whales play. There's no state tax, a nice kickback for permanent residents, and hardly any neighbors unless you live in one of the three major cities. That works for me ... not to mention the rest of the people who live there actually appreciate others who are capable and don't need a gubmint nanny holding their hand.

If we didn't have to go to court to be allowed to move (bio dad issues with the kids) dh would pack us up in a heartbeat and move us to Alaska. He could get a pretty decent job there through the federal government (park police) and we could live in so much more peace. And see snow my kids have never seen snow, and I've only seen it once. Only downfall is we would have to find jobs for my parents and sister because I would drag them with me. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured