Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Y'all come to Texas, state official tells New York gun owners

Posted by   + Show Post

(Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has a message for New York gun owners: Come to Texas, and bring your guns with you.

"Texas is better than New York, and New York just gave us another excuse to say that," Abbott, a Republican, said on Thursday, after ads extolling Texas appeared on several media websites.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, signed sweeping gun-control legislation earlier this week expanding the state's ban on assault weapons and putting limits on ammunition capacity in the wake of last month's school shootings in Connecticut.

Abbott, a possible candidate for governor of Texas in next year's election, used campaign money to buy ads on websites of news organizations in New York City and Albany.

One ad says in classic Western script: "WANTED: Law abiding New York gun owners seeking lower taxes and greater opportunities."

Clicking on the ad leads to a Facebook page touting the virtues of Texas, including the fact that the state has no income tax so "you'll be able to keep more of what you earn and use that extra money to buy more ammo."

Abbott told Reuters the ads are a "way to tweak our liberal friends up in the Northeast."

"It is tongue in cheek, but there is a deeper message here," he said. "Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country. Over the last decade, more than 4 million people moved to this state, and one reason is freedom and one reason is economic opportunity."

Abbott has said he will file a federal lawsuit to throw out any nationwide gun restrictions implemented by Congress.

A Cuomo spokesman did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

(Editing by Corrie MacLaggan and Jackie Frank)

source

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (141-150):
juju40
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I'm sure it is..every state in US has it's bad cities..I'm sure New York has its bad cities just like TX

Quoting Erinelizz:

NY is not completely made up of NYC.  The state is quite safe.

Quoting juju40:

Texas is very safe at least my city is...New York safe?they only throw people off the subway and half of the police force is corrupt no thank you

Quoting greenie63:

Roma, I have to say thank you for being one of the most logical, kind, and factual Cafe moms I've ever encountered here! I think I love you lol. I am sad that my state made #10, so maybe I'll head to New York where it's safe, but at least it's safer than Texas! 

Quoting Erinelizz:

Thanks Roma. I actually thought it was 10th, but I see it's up to #6 now. I think I'll stay out of Louisiana and Tennesee too.
I love New York!

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Erinelizz:

Lol, I think I'll stay here in NY! I'm pretty sure Texas made the list of top 10 most dangerous states in the US. I posted these numbers on another thread, but I think they fit nicely here too;

In overall firearms deaths, Texas is 26th highest, while NY is 46th highest. In overall violent crime, Texas is the 13th highest, NY is the 25th. Texas is 21st highest in rapes, NY is number 50. In burglary, Texas is 11th highest, while NY is 48th.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/10-most-violent-states_n_848317.html#s263598&title=6_Texas

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM
I am sure you never stereotype citizens from other states right? Like maybe NY?

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Actually, no, no we aren't. There is a very small, very loud group of people who are misinformed who hell about it. The majority of us texans realize that secession is not a possibility, and that any secession by any state will lead to another civil war.

But you go ahead and believe the stereotypes if it makes you sleep better at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Ugh. And ugh to everyone who insists on assuming all 25,674,681 of us are them same. 

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Quoting Sisteract:

Actually I make a point not to. When I think NY I think of broadway. I actually want to make it up there sometime. I would love to see Wicked and Les Mis on actual broadway and now just the tour. I wouldn't want to live there though. Too crowded.
GLWerth
by Gina on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Every time he's there, there's a new toxic waste dump discovered (local news coverage).

Air quality is bad, worse than Shanghai, he says.

People are rude and nasty, even before they hear him speak, after he speaks, they are even worse because he's clearly "not from around here" and a "yankee".

He just hates having to go down to Dallas, though he likes Austin and says Houston isn't bad.

Quoting Ultra_:

It's the worst ever based on what?

Quoting GLWerth:

They can declare themselves the "Gun totin' Republic of Jesusland" and we can arrange an airlift for the sane people to get out before all hell breaks loose in there.

Though, I'd feel sorry for those in neighboring states, as their air quality would suffer quite a bit as there would be no regulations in the GTRoJ and there would be a lot of toxic runoff into the Gulf.

DH is in Dallas right now and he says it is the most awful city he's ever been in....and that includes Bangkok, Mexico City, and Shanghai.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Why?  Texas is constantly saying how they want to secede ... I saw let 'em! 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?

Wow. That's a jerk move.

GLWerth
by Gina on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Dallas and Mexico City have been the only places he's really, really disliked. He travels for work, so his like/dislike is based on business travel.

In Mexico City his tools were stolen between Customs and his hotel and his luggage went missing and he wasn't allowed to leave his hotel due to safety concerns.

Dallas, well, I just answered someone else why he doesn't like it.

I think his perception was also colored by the enormous amount of road construction to navigate, but he found other cities down there to be fine. He just doesn't like Dallas.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

I live near Dallas and it's a beautiful city, with mostly friendly, intelligent, progressive and successful people.

I have travelled to many countries on every continent on this Earth. Every place has it's unique charm. I'm sorry that your DH can't see that.

Quoting GLWerth:

They can declare themselves the "Gun totin' Republic of Jesusland" and we can arrange an airlift for the sane people to get out before all hell breaks loose in there.

Though, I'd feel sorry for those in neighboring states, as their air quality would suffer quite a bit as there would be no regulations in the GTRoJ and there would be a lot of toxic runoff into the Gulf.

DH is in Dallas right now and he says it is the most awful city he's ever been in....and that includes Bangkok, Mexico City, and Shanghai.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Why?  Texas is constantly saying how they want to secede ... I saw let 'em! 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?

Wow. That's a jerk move.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Well, with the exception of that ridiculously overreaching order Rick Perry issued to mandate Gardasil vaccines, I agree. 

In Texas, landlords can just kick nonpaying tenants out themselves. 

Quoting pvtjokerus:

"Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country."

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM

My husband said the same thing. He was in Dallas about 2 monthes ago on a business trip, and it took him almost an hour to find his way back to his hotel even though he was using our GPS.  That is how confusing the streets are. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I just got back from Texas and the worst thing I can say about it is the highway system is the most confusing POS backasswards thing ever! Other than that I can't say ONE single negative thing. I was there for my son's basic military graduation. People were friendly, helpful, kind, and gracious at every turn, I'm not talking about on the military base either. I'm not sure maybe it's just a San Antonio thing but I had a great time with some great people.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
There's no left hand turns lol! You miss your turn, you have to loop around ...and around. Our GPS was mocking us in a Texas twang "ya'll missed yer turn again, yer gonna have to loop again"

Quoting WesternNYmom:

My husband said the same thing. He was in Dallas about 2 monthes ago on a business trip, and it took him almost an hour to find his way back to his hotel even though he was using our GPS.  That is how confusing the streets are. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I just got back from Texas and the worst thing I can say about it is the highway system is the most confusing POS backasswards thing ever! Other than that I can't say ONE single negative thing. I was there for my son's basic military graduation. People were friendly, helpful, kind, and gracious at every turn, I'm not talking about on the military base either. I'm not sure maybe it's just a San Antonio thing but I had a great time with some great people.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a TEXAN. Just because our elected official says something that doesn't mean I agree with his laws and ideas. It only means a majority of the people who bothered to vote agree. (maybe. there has always been voter fraud) I am an American and I don't agree with the laws and ideas of my president.

If the bashing was because of our race and not where we live, people would be screaming RACIST!!!

PS. Don't come to Texas. We just might secede and you will have to work for your living...

Quoting pansyprincess:

haha ... You couldn't pay me to live in Texas.  I live about as far as I can ... and I'm very happy to never go anywhere near it.  No, of course not EVERY person wants to secede, and not EVERY person is a gun totin' republican who wants to see them teach the bible in school and deny evolution ... but how many DO?  It's the people YOU ALL elect that are putting forth these types of laws and ideas ... so a damn good amount of y'all must agree.

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Actually, no, no we aren't. There is a very small, very loud group of people who are misinformed who hell about it. The majority of us texans realize that secession is not a possibility, and that any secession by any state will lead to another civil war.

But you go ahead and believe the stereotypes if it makes you sleep better at night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured