Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Y'all come to Texas, state official tells New York gun owners

Posted by   + Show Post

(Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has a message for New York gun owners: Come to Texas, and bring your guns with you.

"Texas is better than New York, and New York just gave us another excuse to say that," Abbott, a Republican, said on Thursday, after ads extolling Texas appeared on several media websites.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, signed sweeping gun-control legislation earlier this week expanding the state's ban on assault weapons and putting limits on ammunition capacity in the wake of last month's school shootings in Connecticut.

Abbott, a possible candidate for governor of Texas in next year's election, used campaign money to buy ads on websites of news organizations in New York City and Albany.

One ad says in classic Western script: "WANTED: Law abiding New York gun owners seeking lower taxes and greater opportunities."

Clicking on the ad leads to a Facebook page touting the virtues of Texas, including the fact that the state has no income tax so "you'll be able to keep more of what you earn and use that extra money to buy more ammo."

Abbott told Reuters the ads are a "way to tweak our liberal friends up in the Northeast."

"It is tongue in cheek, but there is a deeper message here," he said. "Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country. Over the last decade, more than 4 million people moved to this state, and one reason is freedom and one reason is economic opportunity."

Abbott has said he will file a federal lawsuit to throw out any nationwide gun restrictions implemented by Congress.

A Cuomo spokesman did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

(Editing by Corrie MacLaggan and Jackie Frank)

source

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (151-160):
Ultra_
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM

That's weird. I haven't experienced any of that in Dallas more than any other place. The comments they make, aren't likely meant to be rude. Some southern people just joke like that.

Quoting GLWerth:

Every time he's there, there's a new toxic waste dump discovered (local news coverage).

Air quality is bad, worse than Shanghai, he says.

People are rude and nasty, even before they hear him speak, after he speaks, they are even worse because he's clearly "not from around here" and a "yankee".

He just hates having to go down to Dallas, though he likes Austin and says Houston isn't bad.

Quoting Ultra_:

It's the worst ever based on what?

Quoting GLWerth:

They can declare themselves the "Gun totin' Republic of Jesusland" and we can arrange an airlift for the sane people to get out before all hell breaks loose in there.

Though, I'd feel sorry for those in neighboring states, as their air quality would suffer quite a bit as there would be no regulations in the GTRoJ and there would be a lot of toxic runoff into the Gulf.

DH is in Dallas right now and he says it is the most awful city he's ever been in....and that includes Bangkok, Mexico City, and Shanghai.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Why?  Texas is constantly saying how they want to secede ... I saw let 'em! 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?

Wow. That's a jerk move.

SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM

No, we do not what you here. This state already has exceeded it's limit on stupid. And Abbott is No. 2 behind Ricky Dick.

And that article is full fo shit. That "extra" income? Yeah, you're going to pay through the nose in outrageous property tax, 8.25% sales tax and tons of expensive "fees." Utilities - twice as much as any where in the country. And insurance is hysterically expensive.

SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

No, they're being rude. The funny thing is, most of them aren't even real Texans.

And Dallas IS nasty and polluted. Drive down the freeway headed toward downtown from the easty or north and you can see a layer of puke green topped with a layer of gross brown. 

GLWerth's husband must be talking about the pigs' blood that's dumped into the Trinity River creek. Yeah, that really happens.

Quoting Ultra_:

That's weird. I haven't experienced any of that in Dallas more than any other place. The comments they make, aren't likely meant to be rude. Some southern people just joke like that.

Quoting GLWerth:

Every time he's there, there's a new toxic waste dump discovered (local news coverage).

Air quality is bad, worse than Shanghai, he says.

People are rude and nasty, even before they hear him speak, after he speaks, they are even worse because he's clearly "not from around here" and a "yankee".

He just hates having to go down to Dallas, though he likes Austin and says Houston isn't bad.

Quoting Ultra_:

It's the worst ever based on what?

Quoting GLWerth:

They can declare themselves the "Gun totin' Republic of Jesusland" and we can arrange an airlift for the sane people to get out before all hell breaks loose in there.

Though, I'd feel sorry for those in neighboring states, as their air quality would suffer quite a bit as there would be no regulations in the GTRoJ and there would be a lot of toxic runoff into the Gulf.

DH is in Dallas right now and he says it is the most awful city he's ever been in....and that includes Bangkok, Mexico City, and Shanghai.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Why?  Texas is constantly saying how they want to secede ... I saw let 'em! 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?

Wow. That's a jerk move.

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:30 AM

"Texas is better than New York...."   Why do I hear, nah, nah ,nah, nah nah, after that?

New Yorkers a little too....high-brow??.... for TX.

I'm going to TX in the morning, to visit my husband.  I just keep remembering how much they're paying him to be there, b/c that place....................

LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM
No thanks. Not for me.

But Texas is perfect for someone else, just not my place.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
INYOUISEEME
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Yes  Texas or Idaho...Great States

tambrathegreat
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Oh, good!   Another reason to hate Texas.  I hate that these crazies are below my state geographically speaking.

CityofRosesMama
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Our neighbors moved to Texas about 5 years ago. They bought a house even bigger than the one they had here in Oregon. I miss her. She said we were the nicest neighbors she ever had... She seemed like she was homesick for Oregon. All the friends I've had from Texas are nice, too. I'm from Ca., so I have a bit more tolerance for all kinds of people.
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:34 PM

First of all, I said like 3 times that not EVERYONE may agree with the elected officials, but enough for them to be elected.  So basically the same thing you said. 

You couldn't pay me to come to Texas.  Quite literally, as I would never get my salary there that I get here.  And why you think I don't work for my living is really bizarre ... do you assume all democrats don't work?  The responses in this thread have decidely confirmed the stereotypes about Texas ...

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

I am a TEXAN. Just because our elected official says something that doesn't mean I agree with his laws and ideas. It only means a majority of the people who bothered to vote agree. (maybe. there has always been voter fraud) I am an American and I don't agree with the laws and ideas of my president.

If the bashing was because of our race and not where we live, people would be screaming RACIST!!!

PS. Don't come to Texas. We just might secede and you will have to work for your living...

Quoting pansyprincess:

haha ... You couldn't pay me to live in Texas.  I live about as far as I can ... and I'm very happy to never go anywhere near it.  No, of course not EVERY person wants to secede, and not EVERY person is a gun totin' republican who wants to see them teach the bible in school and deny evolution ... but how many DO?  It's the people YOU ALL elect that are putting forth these types of laws and ideas ... so a damn good amount of y'all must agree.

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Actually, no, no we aren't. There is a very small, very loud group of people who are misinformed who hell about it. The majority of us texans realize that secession is not a possibility, and that any secession by any state will lead to another civil war.

But you go ahead and believe the stereotypes if it makes you sleep better at night.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Exactly.  I wouldn't fit into Texas because it's a bunch of conservative, bible thumping, gun totin' crazies.  That's why I'm proud to not fit into a place like that.  :)

Quoting candlegal:

That told me everything I needed to know.  And yes, Texas is better

Quoting pansyprincess:

That was exactly my point from early. A liberal free spirit atheist like myself LOVES it here. Someone like you will not. This area is much better suited for me. Not for you. That's doesn't make Texas BETTER ... it makes it better for you. But when it comes to things like education, facts don't lie. NY and NJ (where I am) are better educated states.
Quoting candlegal:

I grew up on the East Coast.   I spent many years traveling New England.   I loved it, it was beautiful.   As far as living there, I have been to both places long enough to know I wouldn't live on the east coast again.  I will take texas any day.   Massachetts has gotten ridiculous and so has most of east coast.  You can have it.  You can have the land of liberal secularism, I had enough of it to last me a lifetime.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Anyone who is in love with texas the way that you are wouldn't fair well in NYC.  They are like two different worlds.  To say Texas is better than NY is dependent on what makes something "better".  Given that the two groups of people probably have a different definition of "better" I'm not sure there will be any agreement on that.  I would only move to Texas if I was poor.  Otherwise I am happy to live in the land of liberal secularism.

Quoting candlegal:

I can guarantee you Texans don't really give a crap.  Texas is way better than New York.   Gov. Cuomo is a joke.

Quoting greenie63:

I doubt New Yorkers will appreciate the comment "Texas is better than New York." 

Yay to Gov. Cuomo for taking a stand against violence! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured