Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Y'all come to Texas, state official tells New York gun owners

Posted by   + Show Post

(Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has a message for New York gun owners: Come to Texas, and bring your guns with you.

"Texas is better than New York, and New York just gave us another excuse to say that," Abbott, a Republican, said on Thursday, after ads extolling Texas appeared on several media websites.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, signed sweeping gun-control legislation earlier this week expanding the state's ban on assault weapons and putting limits on ammunition capacity in the wake of last month's school shootings in Connecticut.

Abbott, a possible candidate for governor of Texas in next year's election, used campaign money to buy ads on websites of news organizations in New York City and Albany.

One ad says in classic Western script: "WANTED: Law abiding New York gun owners seeking lower taxes and greater opportunities."

Clicking on the ad leads to a Facebook page touting the virtues of Texas, including the fact that the state has no income tax so "you'll be able to keep more of what you earn and use that extra money to buy more ammo."

Abbott told Reuters the ads are a "way to tweak our liberal friends up in the Northeast."

"It is tongue in cheek, but there is a deeper message here," he said. "Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country. Over the last decade, more than 4 million people moved to this state, and one reason is freedom and one reason is economic opportunity."

Abbott has said he will file a federal lawsuit to throw out any nationwide gun restrictions implemented by Congress.

A Cuomo spokesman did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

(Editing by Corrie MacLaggan and Jackie Frank)

source

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (21-30):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM
4 moms liked this

Now that is a very tempting offer!  Not only are the gun laws less restrictive...but there is NO state income tax..the state runs on a balanced budget and somehow managed to put 8 billion dollars in the bank last year.

I just love Texas...my home state.

LoganTroyMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I don't even own a gun and I would love to move to Texas, aka The Gun Totin' Republic of Jesus (ROFL that was so funny)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM

It is crazy what i have to go through to own a gun here in NY. Its crazy. Luckily for me my gun is still legal here. Though not sure for how long. The clips i have for it hold 13 rounds. So we shall see. 

viv212
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I thought t, you said it.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM
7 moms liked this
Racism, pushing religion down people's throats, bad education, guns in every house, ...

-----
You are truly ill informed. Basically what you're doing is judging an entire state on a very small segment of our population. I find it funny you say you come from one of the most educated states and yet you're saying the things you do.

You're apparently from New Jersey, there are tons of stereotypes associated with your state that came along well before jersey shore and I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I constantly grouped you into a small minority and put down your and your state in the process.

One thing that sets us apart from other states is pride in our state, it's something that's ingrained in us from an early age so yes when you insult out state you are in essences insulting each and every one of us and we will defend our state.

Now I can understand your negative view, the media loves to show the worst of everyone because that's what sells but I think if you were to expand your mind and research more you'd see that for the most part texans are a good bunch of people.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Oh god, relax.  No one is talking about you or your children.  I have a few friends that moved to Texas.  They are wonderful lovely people ... but agree that a good portion of the population there is bat shit crazy, and so are a bunch of the legislators.  Why are you taking this like a personal affront?  I don't get upset when people say Jersy is gross because they've watched Jersey shore.  I live in one of the best educated and lowest amount of poverty states.  I'm good with that.

As for hate, it's not a part of my life.  Which is why there is entirely too much of it in Texas, and I wouldn't want to show my children that.  Racism, pushing religion down people's throats, bad education, guns in every house, ... just not something I would want my family to be around.  And there in lies the beauty of this country ... we don't have to agree, and we don't have to be neighbors. 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Good for you. I don't want a hateful person such are yourself any where near my children.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Quoting romalove:

That article is not specific abou where that crime is happening. The further south you go, it will be dangerous. Gangs are more numerous the closer you get to the border. Also, a little thin called a cartel. All of this is a Mexican Govt problem that is spilling over to our side or the border. (Please note that I sad Mexican Govt. NOT Mexican people)
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

We are former military. Dh is an officer on an army base for the DOD. But we were both born and raised in south tx.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting pansyprincess:

OMG this made me laugh out loud!  Texas is like the joke of this country ... between their textbooks for school, their constant desire to secede, their insane law makers ... hahah ... you are too funny!

We'll keep Austin ... the rest of Texas can go!

Quoting pvtjokerus:

"Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country."

Another fine American education speaking here I see.  If Texas leaves they won't just take Texas....they will also take part of New Mexico, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas and Wyoming....what they came with.

The US would lose the leaders in 7 major industries...the largest exporter in the country and the state with the 2nd highest gdp.   But go ahead...keep showing your brilliance.

Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Texans are always talking about how they want to
-----
No we aren't. There are some that do think that but it is not all texans or even a majority.

They have actually done studies showing what would happen if Texas was to secede and the studies all point to Texas doing just fine as its own country, especially when we can sell things like oil at a premium.

Quoting pansyprincess:

I know that Texas can't secede.  Geesh ... I was saying it as a joke since Texans are always talking about how they want to ... I also think Texas would suffer WAY more than the rest of the US if they seceded. 

Quoting Roxygurl:

First, that will never happen. People THINK we can just up and leave that it's written in our constitution when it really isn't. We can't leave.

Second, IF it was possible the rest of the US would suffer and no it's not my Texas pride saying that. We have either the most or 2nd most (Cali is the other state) of oil refineries. Imagine how much higher a gallon of gas would be if we were no longer part of the US. Have you heard of the strategic oil reserves? Yup some of that is here as well.

Our GDP rivals that of small countries. Once again imagine if the things we make and grow here were no longer as cheap, like beef.

The rest of the country would suffer if we left.

Your comment is sadly biased and while I don't agree with some of the things our attorney general has said your comment is down right silly.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting romalove:

That article is not specific abou where that crime is happening. The further south you go, it will be dangerous. Gangs are more numerous the closer you get to the border. Also, a little thin called a cartel. All of this is a Mexican Govt problem that is spilling over to our side or the border. (Please note that I sad Mexican Govt. NOT Mexican people)

Be aware that I'm not anti-Texas or anti-gun, I'm just looking at statistics.  I live in NJ; crime stats where I live are incredibly low but they are much higher in Camden.  I "get" that this is always a local phenomenon.

The reason the stats are important, though, is because when we talk about gun control and the effects that it has or doesn't have, I hear over and over again how much having everyone armed makes everyone safer.  I have yet to see compelling evidence to that effect, and I am actively looking for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN