Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Y'all come to Texas, state official tells New York gun owners

Posted by   + Show Post

(Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has a message for New York gun owners: Come to Texas, and bring your guns with you.

"Texas is better than New York, and New York just gave us another excuse to say that," Abbott, a Republican, said on Thursday, after ads extolling Texas appeared on several media websites.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, signed sweeping gun-control legislation earlier this week expanding the state's ban on assault weapons and putting limits on ammunition capacity in the wake of last month's school shootings in Connecticut.

Abbott, a possible candidate for governor of Texas in next year's election, used campaign money to buy ads on websites of news organizations in New York City and Albany.

One ad says in classic Western script: "WANTED: Law abiding New York gun owners seeking lower taxes and greater opportunities."

Clicking on the ad leads to a Facebook page touting the virtues of Texas, including the fact that the state has no income tax so "you'll be able to keep more of what you earn and use that extra money to buy more ammo."

Abbott told Reuters the ads are a "way to tweak our liberal friends up in the Northeast."

"It is tongue in cheek, but there is a deeper message here," he said. "Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country. Over the last decade, more than 4 million people moved to this state, and one reason is freedom and one reason is economic opportunity."

Abbott has said he will file a federal lawsuit to throw out any nationwide gun restrictions implemented by Congress.

A Cuomo spokesman did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

(Editing by Corrie MacLaggan and Jackie Frank)

source

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (31-40):
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

First of all, I wouldn't be offended by anything you said about Jersey.  I am not the entire state, just one family in it.  If the stereotypes don't apply to me, why would I be offended.  I said it before, and I'll say it again, NOT EVERY SINGLE PERSON in Texas is like that.  So if it doesn't apply to you, why do you care?

Yes, the news shows the extremes ... but a lot of these extremes are coming from your elected officials.  So, obviously a lot of people agree with them if they elected them.

FYI, bad education isn't a stereotype.  It's statistically shown.  So is high level of violence.  And high level of gun ownership.  So is changing the Texas textbooks to include religion, or show evolution as an equal "theory" to creationism.  Those aren't stereotypes, those are facts. 

Quoting Roxygurl:

Racism, pushing religion down people's throats, bad education, guns in every house, ...

-----
You are truly ill informed. Basically what you're doing is judging an entire state on a very small segment of our population. I find it funny you say you come from one of the most educated states and yet you're saying the things you do.

You're apparently from New Jersey, there are tons of stereotypes associated with your state that came along well before jersey shore and I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I constantly grouped you into a small minority and put down your and your state in the process.

One thing that sets us apart from other states is pride in our state, it's something that's ingrained in us from an early age so yes when you insult out state you are in essences insulting each and every one of us and we will defend our state.

Now I can understand your negative view, the media loves to show the worst of everyone because that's what sells but I think if you were to expand your mind and research more you'd see that for the most part texans are a good bunch of people.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Oh god, relax.  No one is talking about you or your children.  I have a few friends that moved to Texas.  They are wonderful lovely people ... but agree that a good portion of the population there is bat shit crazy, and so are a bunch of the legislators.  Why are you taking this like a personal affront?  I don't get upset when people say Jersy is gross because they've watched Jersey shore.  I live in one of the best educated and lowest amount of poverty states.  I'm good with that.

As for hate, it's not a part of my life.  Which is why there is entirely too much of it in Texas, and I wouldn't want to show my children that.  Racism, pushing religion down people's throats, bad education, guns in every house, ... just not something I would want my family to be around.  And there in lies the beauty of this country ... we don't have to agree, and we don't have to be neighbors. 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Good for you. I don't want a hateful person such are yourself any where near my children.

Emilytrademark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Do you have any idea what that would do to the country?

Quoting pansyprincess:

Why?  Texas is constantly saying how they want to secede ... I saw let 'em! 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?

Wow. That's a jerk move.

BabyFruit Ticker
Joqui
by Joqui on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

People move to Texas because of economic opportunity I will give him that one. 

Anyway, no surprise... Texas thinks they are better than everyone any way... When we moved back from CA as soon as we hit Texas people asked where we were coming from and we go CA and they go "Well I'm so sorry you were there! Glad you made it back to a better state though!"

I swear it was like at every place we stopped at! It got to the point where I just said "Oh we would much rather be in CA right now" -__-

cmc638
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Go right ahead I live in new York own guns and you couldn't pay me enough to move to Texas

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Emilytrademark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Property is incredibly cheap here- I can have a nice house for $150K that would cost $500K+ up North. No state income tax, like you said, and lots of room to move and grow. You just have to deal with the Bible thumpers and Rick Perry, but everything has it's downfall.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Now that is a very tempting offer!  Not only are the gun laws less restrictive...but there is NO state income tax..the state runs on a balanced budget and somehow managed to put 8 billion dollars in the bank last year.

I just love Texas...my home state.

BabyFruit Ticker
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Quoting romalove:

I understand you aren't anti tx. Just didn't want someone who is to take this and run with it without All the facts.
Phoebe-81
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
While I don't agree with the governor, I'd still rather live in NY than TX.
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I am 100% Texan and have lived here my entire life.. Thank you both for standing up for our great state.. IMO the problem people have with Texas is we take care of each other and want to see our nations come together..

I am very proud to be from the state of Texas and I can guarantee you that me nor may family is a joke in anyway

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'm with you.

I love it here and its not a joke to live here. We're military and honestly this is our favorite place to live of the places we've been...

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Ya know. After reading the hateful replies from women on here about us Texans, I am so embarrassed to be an American. How can a country move forward and prosper when there is so much hatred and infighting? It's stupid. And I am at the point where I just want to tell then all to go screw themselves. I am NOT at joke. My family it not a joke and how dare you insult me.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Good stay in New York

Quoting Phoebe-81:

Phoebe-81
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I will. But I don't have anything against Texans, I just can't handle the heat. I also wouldn't move back to Florida or anywhere in the south. (Not that we don't get heat, but it's typically short lived.)

Quoting pamelax3:

Good stay in New York

Quoting Phoebe-81:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)