Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Y'all come to Texas, state official tells New York gun owners

Posted by   + Show Post

(Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has a message for New York gun owners: Come to Texas, and bring your guns with you.

"Texas is better than New York, and New York just gave us another excuse to say that," Abbott, a Republican, said on Thursday, after ads extolling Texas appeared on several media websites.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, signed sweeping gun-control legislation earlier this week expanding the state's ban on assault weapons and putting limits on ammunition capacity in the wake of last month's school shootings in Connecticut.

Abbott, a possible candidate for governor of Texas in next year's election, used campaign money to buy ads on websites of news organizations in New York City and Albany.

One ad says in classic Western script: "WANTED: Law abiding New York gun owners seeking lower taxes and greater opportunities."

Clicking on the ad leads to a Facebook page touting the virtues of Texas, including the fact that the state has no income tax so "you'll be able to keep more of what you earn and use that extra money to buy more ammo."

Abbott told Reuters the ads are a "way to tweak our liberal friends up in the Northeast."

"It is tongue in cheek, but there is a deeper message here," he said. "Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country. Over the last decade, more than 4 million people moved to this state, and one reason is freedom and one reason is economic opportunity."

Abbott has said he will file a federal lawsuit to throw out any nationwide gun restrictions implemented by Congress.

A Cuomo spokesman did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

(Editing by Corrie MacLaggan and Jackie Frank)

source

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (41-50):
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Where did you get this information? I would really like too see what these numbers are based on

Quoting Erinelizz:

Lol, I think I'll stay here in NY! I'm pretty sure Texas made the list of top 10 most dangerous states in the US. I posted these numbers on another thread, but I think they fit nicely here too;

In overall firearms deaths, Texas is 26th highest, while NY is 46th highest. In overall violent crime, Texas is the 13th highest, NY is the 25th. Texas is 21st highest in rapes, NY is number 50. In burglary, Texas is 11th highest, while NY is 48th.

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I take offense to that. Oklahoma is not bad at all! Texas has some good freedom loving neighbors with low taxes and little crime!

Quoting candlegal:

Yes it does and right now seems to be a really good time to be in Texas.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

"Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country."

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

We are former military. Dh is an officer on an army base for the DOD. But we were both born and raised in south tx.

South Texas is where I live it is wonderful, but the cartels are getting bad

Mystres
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM

If my husband didnt have a good job, I would be willing to move.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Can I leave Texass now??

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/
Then I click on the state I'm interested in where it says "United States: Uniform Crime Report -- State Statistics from 1960 - 2011"

(Sorry I can't make it clicky, I'm on mobile.)

Quoting pamelax3:

Where did you get this information? I would really like too see what these numbers are based on

Quoting Erinelizz:

Lol, I think I'll stay here in NY! I'm pretty sure Texas made the list of top 10 most dangerous states in the US. I posted these numbers on another thread, but I think they fit nicely here too;

In overall firearms deaths, Texas is 26th highest, while NY is 46th highest. In overall violent crime, Texas is the 13th highest, NY is the 25th. Texas is 21st highest in rapes, NY is number 50. In burglary, Texas is 11th highest, while NY is 48th.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Erinelizz:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/10-most-violent-states_n_848317.html#s263598&title=6_Texas

This list is seriously skewed according to the FBI statistics.  I prefer those to some done by someone Huffo drags up.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-5

bellaamore
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Texas has less gun rights fir their citizens than louisiana and oklahoma, who both tie at number one in the ountry. Lol

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Yes the heat can be awful, it takes some getting use too.. I have been here my entire life and I am still not accustomed to some of the heat waves

Quoting Phoebe-81:

I will. But I don't have anything against Texans, I just can't handle the heat. I also wouldn't move back to Florida or anywhere in the south. (Not that we don't get heat, but it's typically short lived.)

Quoting pamelax3:

Good stay in New York

Quoting Phoebe-81:

While I don't agree with the governor, I'd still rather live in NY than TX.

KTU
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I have lived in Arizona, California and Texas. I will take Texas any day over the others, though I did love Arizona.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured