Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Please teach your children....

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

how to react in an emergency situation.

There was a code red at my child's school (high school) and the kids panicked and tried to run out into the halls even after the doors were locked. That was really bad. It had nothing to do with guns btw.

Have you discussed a course of action and how to react in an emergency?

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep we have an action plan for several scenarios.  And the kids' school does emergency drills, even before December. We live on a military base, and their school is here, so disaster preparedness is a routine thing.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes we did, most important was where to meet up in the event of an emergency. If they were at school they were to meet up at a certain spot on campus, no excuses. They then had emergency places/homes around the school they could go to if a parent was unable to physically get to them.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

We're discussing it with our son, but my  daughter isn't quite 2 yet.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

yes we have and yes we do have emergency plans

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I've talked to my kids about what they should do.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:31 AM

JW, but what did the teachers or staff say that made the kids panick? We had drills and threats all the time in high school and we never once panicked, we even had a kid bring a gun to school and he was planning to kill another student. I can't even begin to count how many times we had been locked into our classrooms even had police and dogs come.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Code Red was called and it was "not a drill". A large portion of the student body also did not attend Friday. 

Quoting Mipsy:

JW, but what did the teachers or staff say that made the kids panick? We had drills and threats all the time in high school and we never once panicked, we even had a kid bring a gun to school and he was planning to kill another student. I can't even begin to count how many times we had been locked into our classrooms even had police and dogs come.

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I do not have high schoolers, but at the elementary school they have various drills for various codes. Do high schools not do that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Yes but many panicked none the less when the threat became real. It wasn't a logical reaction considering the amount of incidents in this town and they have a bomb threat every few months. Many of the classes are designed to withstand bombs as well and the students know that. 

Quoting rfurlongg:

I do not have high schoolers, but at the elementary school they have various drills for various codes. Do high schools not do that?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM

My son has a Therapist with him and is only in K, so I've not discussed it with him.

My daughter is 7 and in 2nd grade. The school does lock downs and various drills. It is something I've been meaning to do. I worry about her classroom in case of a school emergency. Her teacher has 2 of her own children at that school and I have wondered how she(the teacher) would react if there was an emergency. Would she take care of her students or would her instinct be to run to her children's classroom?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN