Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher To Carry Weapon At Orrville High School

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM
  • 5 Replies

Teacher To Carry Weapon At Orrville High School

Written by  Amani Abraham

The Orrville school board unanimously approved arming a teacher who is also a Lawrence Twp. officer.

The Beacon Journal reports the board voted to allow the veteran teacher and police officer to carry a concealed firearm in the high school following the deadly shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.

School officials say they have had a lot of support from the community, but some people still have reservations about the decision to arm Bill Yerman.

The school board president says this is a unique situation and believes he will be less "intimidating" in comparison to the average police officer.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I think it is a good idea to have at least one person armed in a school

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM

bump

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Quoting Euphoric:

bump

So what do you think?  l think having a teacher armed could be a great thing if it were someone who had the skill training and psychological make up to use it wisely/  Thats a lot of ifs though...

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I'm largely against arming regular school staff.

However, I think the PERFECT compromise is something like this (in the article).

My dd's fourth grade teacher (when she was still in brick and mortar school) was a semi-retired police officer with over 20 years on the force. I know he was semi retired and not fully retired because he often missed school when he needed to be in court, lol.

I would have had NO reservations about him carrying a weapon on him.

Okay. One reservation. Especially on a high school level. I would be concerned that this teacher wouldn't be able to carefully guard his weapon AND teach. Let's face it, there are some very troubled teens out there.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Euphoric:

bump

So what do you think?  l think having a teacher armed could be a great thing if it were someone who had the skill training and psychological make up to use it wisely/  Thats a lot of ifs though...

I agree.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)