Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Florida’s School Prayer Law – The Devil Is In the Details, Literally

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 25 Replies

Florida’s School Prayer Law – The Devil Is In the Details, Literally

2013/01/17
By

A rally is being planned for January 25th in Tallahassee, Florida to support a law that Governor Rick Scott signed into law less than a year ago. The Inspirational Messages law essentially allows prayer in school. In the carefully worded final version, the law allows school districts to adopt a policy allowing for the reading of inspirational messages. To make sure that there’s not undue influence by school personnel, the students are the sole determinants of the message and the messenger. However, the authors had no idea that the message would be one that Satan might approve of.

While the mention of Satan might seem like the antithesis of the original intent of the law, Overlord Lucien Graves, a spokesperson for the Satanic Temple, told a reporter for the Palm Beach Post that his group actually promotes many of the same ideas that major religions do.

Satan does ask us to do good among each other and follow our own path to happiness as long as it doesn’t encroach on others.

The group’s website explains its tenets, which do seem similar to many mainstream religions, with the one exception. They believe that God sent Satan as a proxy. The group is planning the rally as a way to promote themselves via the newly enacted law. Surely the authors of the bill never saw this one coming.

Even though the bill was successfully passed, many organizations urged the Governor not to sign the bill. They knew that even though the bill did not have the specific language “school prayer,” it could face a costly court battle under the First Amendment’s separation of church and state. They know that a case settled over 50 years ago banned this type of type of law. While several states have tested the ruling, it’s been struck down every time.

Only time will tell whether this new twist on an old theme will make the Governor rethink his support of such a law. Perhaps he’ll pause a bit the next time, and wonder if Satan is hiding in the next bill on religion. But maybe it’s not such a bad thing. After all, they only want to promote happiness. What’s wrong with that?

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM

bump

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM
7 moms liked this

LOL

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Such stupidity.  I can't wait to read the first lawsuit filed by someone when "their" inspirational message is denied because TPTB don't like it.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

This is where laws like this go wrong and we should not have them.

I certainly do not want my daughter hearing that crap from some Satan follower, or otherwise, so keep all biblical  or 'inspirational' messages that stem from the Bible, out of school.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Quoting Arroree:

LOL

LOL

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

gigglesnort

Quoting Arroree:

LOL

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

You seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on faith bashing posts.  Doesn't anything else interest you?

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

You seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on faith bashing posts.  Doesn't anything else interest you?

Not my fault there are insurmountable negative things about religion- I post what I find in the news. Also, I have posted other things today that have nothing to do with religion, so go have a gander at those.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM

There does seem to be an unlimited supply of silliness of this type in the media --perhaps someone needs to see to their PR?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

GLWerth
by Gina on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I was just thinking that if one has a title, "Overlord" would be a good one!

I'm sure they'll amend the law to say "Christian Prayer or Inspiration only".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN