Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida’s School Prayer Law – The Devil Is In the Details, Literally

Posted by   + Show Post

Florida’s School Prayer Law – The Devil Is In the Details, Literally

2013/01/17
By

A rally is being planned for January 25th in Tallahassee, Florida to support a law that Governor Rick Scott signed into law less than a year ago. The Inspirational Messages law essentially allows prayer in school. In the carefully worded final version, the law allows school districts to adopt a policy allowing for the reading of inspirational messages. To make sure that there’s not undue influence by school personnel, the students are the sole determinants of the message and the messenger. However, the authors had no idea that the message would be one that Satan might approve of.

While the mention of Satan might seem like the antithesis of the original intent of the law, Overlord Lucien Graves, a spokesperson for the Satanic Temple, told a reporter for the Palm Beach Post that his group actually promotes many of the same ideas that major religions do.

Satan does ask us to do good among each other and follow our own path to happiness as long as it doesn’t encroach on others.

The group’s website explains its tenets, which do seem similar to many mainstream religions, with the one exception. They believe that God sent Satan as a proxy. The group is planning the rally as a way to promote themselves via the newly enacted law. Surely the authors of the bill never saw this one coming.

Even though the bill was successfully passed, many organizations urged the Governor not to sign the bill. They knew that even though the bill did not have the specific language “school prayer,” it could face a costly court battle under the First Amendment’s separation of church and state. They know that a case settled over 50 years ago banned this type of type of law. While several states have tested the ruling, it’s been struck down every time.

Only time will tell whether this new twist on an old theme will make the Governor rethink his support of such a law. Perhaps he’ll pause a bit the next time, and wonder if Satan is hiding in the next bill on religion. But maybe it’s not such a bad thing. After all, they only want to promote happiness. What’s wrong with that?

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
parentalrights1
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Everytime an article is posted about religion someone with a persecution complex has to show up and call the OP a Christian basher
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM
How is she bashing faith? The law is real, as is the proposed rally. This is the reality those who want religion in school have to comprehend.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

You seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on faith bashing posts.  Doesn't anything else interest you?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Apparently some believe only articles praising Christianity should be allowed.

Quoting parentalrights1:

Everytime an article is posted about religion someone with a persecution complex has to show up and call the OP a Christian basher

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM

This was the first thing I thought of when I read the OP, and I wondered if you had read this already.  lol

Quoting Arroree:

LOL

~"Dream the dreams of others and you will be no one's rival." ~

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM

The satanic temple...lol

dawnie1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:38 AM

My state (FL) is getting weirder & weirder! Granted, we've always attracted those a bit left of center, but as a fourth gen. native I feel quite safe in saying we are just passing strange.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Yoy would spit nails and say, "you are so hateful" at anyone who posted, say "Catholic Vatican ... lol" but again you demand respect for your faith you are unwilling To show to anyone else. *SMDH* Do You have any undertanding of what "do unto others as you would have Done unto you" means?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

The satanic temple...lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM

No I'm laughing because Atheists don't question the logic and reason of people who follow religions like the satanic temple.  

Do you think FFR will be rushing out to put up billboards mocking Satan?  

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Yoy would spit nails and say, "you are so hateful" at anyone who posted, say "Catholic Vatican ... lol" but again you demand respect for your faith you are unwilling To show to anyone else. *SMDH* Do You have any undertanding of what "do unto others as you would have Done unto you" means?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

The satanic temple...lol

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Satanists are not trying to force their religion into all aspects of government. You still refuse To understand THAT is what is objectionable, NOT your faith. If you would stop trying to turn every government building into a shrine to your god and stop Insisting we base civil law on YOUR holy text, the objections would cease.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

No I'm laughing because Atheists don't question the logic and reason of people who follow religions like the satanic temple.  

Do you think FFR will be rushing out to put up billboards mocking Satan?  

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

The satanic temple...lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM

The federal government allows states to enact their own laws.  I never quite understood this honestly,  I find it completely confusing and hypocritical.  There are inspiration messages in EVERY faith, but they won't draw from every faith.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured