Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Grrrrr grocery shopping (somewhat fluff...)

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM
  • 41 Replies

My husband was pretty happy to leave Hawaii.. mainly because of prices and gas. I can't blame him. However, I went grocery shopping today and noticed... all of the stuff was either the same price or more expensive.

I bought the same amount of stuff as I did in Hawaii.. even some generic (even though Dh hates generic) and still ended up spending more. 

I thought mainland was supposed to be cheaper?

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I've always heard that food prices in Hawaii were higher, but maybe not? I can tell you that in my area, prices are going up. I noticed the first time I went to the grocery store after the new year, prices had gone up on almost everything I usually buy, even generics. The Kroger brand of Mac n cheese I usually buy, went up by $.10, just as everything else did. Big Sigh, there just is no getting ahead.

krysstizzle
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I thought so, too :) but I've never been to Hawaii, much less grocery shopped there, so I have *no* basis for comparison.

I do know that I can pay almost double for groceries depending where I shop. Albertson's is at least twice as much overall compared to Lowe's, and that's in the same town. It's ridiculous. 

eta: *no*

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Quoting gludwig2000:

I've always heard that food prices in Hawaii were higher, but maybe not? I can tell you that in my area, prices are going up. I noticed the first time I went to the grocery store after the new year, prices had gone up on almost everything I usually buy, even generics. The Kroger brand of Mac n cheese I usually buy, went up by $.10, just as everything else did. Big Sigh, there just is no getting ahead.

It was when we left for Hawaii... But, at the commissary today, I spent 15$ more on a few things for DH's dinner... 30$ the other day at a local store.

Even the milk is the same price as in Hawaii.. and this is a ranch and farm state. *sigh* and I have to change my diet because of health reasons, this is going to kill us. 

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM
When did Texas become a dairy state?

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting gludwig2000:

It was when we left for Hawaii... But, at the commissary today, I spent 15$ more on a few things for DH's dinner... 30$ the other day at a local store.

Even the milk is the same price as in Hawaii.. and this is a ranch and farm state. *sigh* and I have to change my diet because of health reasons, this is going to kill us. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Quoting krysstizzle:

I thought so, too :) but I've never been to Hawaii, much less grocery shopped there, so I have basis for comparison.

I do know that I can pay almost double for groceries depending where I shop. Albertson's is at least twice as much overall compared to Lowe's, and that's in the same town. It's ridiculous. 

I went to the HEB for some things... commissary for others. I am sitting there like O.O because in hawaii, it didn't hit us as bad, we had COLA benefits. Here, none of that and I am paying more... 

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I said farming, period. either way, mainland, easier to ship. Hawaii... longer to ship.. unless you buy local, but that meant I had to go to a farmer's market

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting gludwig2000:

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Everything is going up. I have never been to Hawaii but I have always heard it is very expensive, sorry that you had to spend the same amount. Maybe one day items like groceries will go back down

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Our grocery prices have sky rocketed in the last 2 months. I try to shop sales as much as possible and stock up.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
You mentioned dairy. I asked a question. It really wouldn't matter how cheaper it is, you would find fault with every single thing in the state.

Quoting Sekirei:

I said farming, period. either way, mainland, easier to ship. Hawaii... longer to ship.. unless you buy local, but that meant I had to go to a farmer's market

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting gludwig2000:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Ugh

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN