Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

picture of a man in JCPenney with a rifle goes viral **pic added**

RIVERDALE — The gun debate continues to rage, and one man has gained a lot of attention. A picture of him wearing a rifle inside the Riverdale JC Penney has gone viral.

The picture received more than 10,000 comments on the KSL Facebook page with people wondering who the man is and why he carried a rifle into a public store.

The man is Joseph Kelley, and he says he did it to show that weapons aren't that bad, but he didn't expect this type of reaction.

Cindy Yorgason took the picture while she was waiting in line to return an item at JC Penney on Thursday. She saw him and noticed other people looking at him, so she snapped a picture on her cell phone. She posted the picture on her Facebook page and people went crazy.

Yorgason says she never felt threatened by the man, but believes a place like JC Penney is an inappropriate place to bring a weapon.

"There are just other ways that are a better way to take a stance," Yorgason said.

Other people that commented on the picture had different opinions about the man carrying his rifle in public. Joe Herbalist says that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. He also says that he is a peace abiding citizen.

Mike Ford says, "If he's going to carry his weapon around he needs to be mindful about not just his own safety, but others around him."

Kelley was not asked to leave the store, and he was not arrested. Riverdale police said that they never received one phone call about the man being in the store with a gun.

This is from ksl.com

little.worthen

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Replies (201-210):
funglemuggle
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM
You do not know anything about me.
And ftr I live in a pretty safe area and have adt.
They still kicked in my door. It took the police 25 minutes to arrive. By then they stole what they needed and were gone.
A security system does nothing when someone is there. In your home.
You could live in the most upscale area and someone could still kick in your door.
But continue living in your a security system and a nice neighborhood will protect me world..I was you once.

And PS. I do have a dog. Know what they did? Put him in his cage.

Quoting lga1965:

How about having a SECURITY SYSTEM and living in a nice peaceful area?That's too easy,huh?

Quoting funglemuggle:

Makes no sense. People still break into homes and people still want to kill people.

I hope you're never smack dab in the middle of someone tryig to harm you.

I have been a victim of a home invasion. Its a helpless feeling. I wish I had a gun then. Now I do. Oh well

Quoting lga1965:

Finally, someone one who makes sense!

Most everything is illogical that comes out of gun owners' mouths. Anything to defend their ownership of guns. Doesn't matter that we no longer need  Militias whose members have the right to bear arms......

Quoting momto3B:

Can we please end the "car / gun" comparisions?

A car is a tool created with the intention of transporting people and things, that can be used intentionally or accidentally as a weapon.

A gun on the other hand is a tool created with the intended purpose of  killing, be it animals or people either in self defense or acts of aggression. 

The comparison is illogical. 

Quoting funglemuggle:

Guns are not dangerous. Its the person that uses them in bad ways that are

Just like its not the car that kills but the reckless driver that does.

Quoting nb34:

Oh and he did it "to show that weapons aren't that bad"? Why doesn't somebody use that weapon on him to show him exactly how bad weapons are? Asshole!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
starri33
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you Fuglemuggle, your right, a nice neighborhood (if you can find one now adays) and a alarm system isn't going to stop a criminal, your dog could have been a trained attack dog, they probably would have killed him, not put him in his cage.

I believe people are entitled to feel the way they do, either for guns or against them, that is everyones rights, be they written in a constitution or not.

Gracesgma
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I guess I would have to ask if the gun was loaded.  Interesting little article in the paper today about a man who brought a rifle to a gun show in NC to sell privately and, as he was unzipping the gun bag for inspection, the gun went off, shot the security guard in the hand and shot two bystanders. Obviously this was not a responsible gun owner or he would have made sure the gun wasn't loaded and the safety was on.  If the gun owner at Riverdale had not checked his gun to make sure it wasn't loaded and safety on, the same may have happened at JC Pennys..and who carries an unloaded gun in public, the issue being the gun is there to protect the owner from harm, I assume, so it would have had to be loaded.  Not too responsible to me.

Gracesgma
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Me too.  Actually I don't go to shopping centers which house JC Pennys.  We've had shootings at our local Mall and I don't feel safe there anymore.  I might shop at JC Pennys on line, but never at the mall, and I rarely shop in stores that allow guns. Too scary.

babie113
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Why on earth would you bring a rifle to jcp? What's he doing hunting clothes?

If I need to protect myself I use pepper spray.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting lga1965:

Excellent!  True---what would have happened here if the guy at JCPenney was BLACK?

Good points!

Well for one, he was in Utah.  Black people in Utah? 

But serously what if a black man was armed and in front of a polling place, no, not in the 1960s but as recent s the 2008 and 2012 elections.

Course this being Cafemom, the black man would have been celebrated

Listen, lga1965 we all know you are deathly afraid of anything that even resembles a gun and would be the first to call the police if you saw kids running around the playground with a pointed finger going "pew-pew"   Try not to let your irrational fear get the better of you.

That was so damn stupid of you, words fail me......surprised

So I will borrow from Stephen Colbert:

"Dr. King would be pro-gun just as surely as Jesus would be pro-nail." -- Stephen Colbert

funglemuggle
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:30 AM
You're right. However she started attacking gun owners earlier in this thread. People have a right to an opinion. They don't have the right to hurl insults..

But then again this is cafemom and we all know insults are pretty common place around Herr.

Quoting starri33:

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you Fuglemuggle, your right, a nice neighborhood (if you can find one now adays) and a alarm system isn't going to stop a criminal, your dog could have been a trained attack dog, they probably would have killed him, not put him in his cage.

I believe people are entitled to feel the way they do, either for guns or against them, that is everyones rights, be they written in a constitution or not.

starri33
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I kinda figured it had started earlier,  hurling the insults? I don't get offended anymore by them,  it just simply shows me the personality, this kinda stuff you'll find on every group online, there are people out there who just join up with groups to do nothing but start chaos on a site.

I hoped that this one would be different, as it's CafeMom, being mom's I would think we'd watch our behavior a little closer.  I personally would not want to teach my child to not be civil in a conversation.

Quoting funglemuggle:

You're right. However she started attacking gun owners earlier in this thread. People have a right to an opinion. They don't have the right to hurl insults..

But then again this is cafemom and we all know insults are pretty common place around Herr.

Quoting starri33:

ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Lady, he walked in, was not waving the gun at anyone, conducted his business as usual, and left. How does that make him a loser? Are you anti-gun? That's the only explanation I can find for you to have a problem with this.
Granted, walking around in public carrying a gun, not concealed, wasn't his smartest move... But I totally defend his reason. Guns don't kill people, people who don't practice safe gun ownership kill people. I haven't read anywhere that says whether he did or didn't have the gun loaded. But I would be willing to bet it was not. so, tell me what the problem is... Btw your accusation carry no real foundation... You sound like a not job anti-gun activist. No one takes those people seriously.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting ramonafrog:

I think all gun owners should be allowed to open carry. There would be a lot less nuts out there killing people if they knew the penalty was gonna be return fire.
I would say I'm shocked at the negative comments bashing the guy, but I'm not.

wellllll....sorry, but walking into a JC Penney and seeing a guy with a BIG gun slung over his body is bizarre. Totally an example of a socially inept mental midget.If you know anyone like this guy, run...run  in the opposite direction. And please don't defend this guy or guys like him. He's a LOSER. Losers get bashed. Get used to it.

ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Stephen Colbert? THAT'S where you're getting your info from? Oh gawd... He's a idiot

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting lga1965:

Excellent!  True---what would have happened here if the guy at JCPenney was BLACK?

Good points!

Well for one, he was in Utah.  Black people in Utah? 

But serously what if a black man was armed and in front of a polling place, no, not in the 1960s but as recent s the 2008 and 2012 elections.

Course this being Cafemom, the black man would have been celebrated

Listen, lga1965 we all know you are deathly afraid of anything that even resembles a gun and would be the first to call the police if you saw kids running around the playground with a pointed finger going "pew-pew"   Try not to let your irrational fear get the better of you.

That was so damn stupid of you, words fail me......surprised

So I will borrow from Stephen Colbert:

"Dr. King would be pro-gun just as surely as Jesus would be pro-nail." -- Stephen Colbert

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured