Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

picture of a man in JCPenney with a rifle goes viral **pic added**

RIVERDALE — The gun debate continues to rage, and one man has gained a lot of attention. A picture of him wearing a rifle inside the Riverdale JC Penney has gone viral.

The picture received more than 10,000 comments on the KSL Facebook page with people wondering who the man is and why he carried a rifle into a public store.

The man is Joseph Kelley, and he says he did it to show that weapons aren't that bad, but he didn't expect this type of reaction.

Cindy Yorgason took the picture while she was waiting in line to return an item at JC Penney on Thursday. She saw him and noticed other people looking at him, so she snapped a picture on her cell phone. She posted the picture on her Facebook page and people went crazy.

Yorgason says she never felt threatened by the man, but believes a place like JC Penney is an inappropriate place to bring a weapon.

"There are just other ways that are a better way to take a stance," Yorgason said.

Other people that commented on the picture had different opinions about the man carrying his rifle in public. Joe Herbalist says that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. He also says that he is a peace abiding citizen.

Mike Ford says, "If he's going to carry his weapon around he needs to be mindful about not just his own safety, but others around him."

Kelley was not asked to leave the store, and he was not arrested. Riverdale police said that they never received one phone call about the man being in the store with a gun.

This is from ksl.com

little.worthen

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Replies (221-230):
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I am guessing that you do not know how a Security System works .

Its wired into your home. It emits a high pitched, extremely loud sound from a siren  , an alert, if anyone tries to kick open a locked door or a window and the police are alerted and are there within minutes and by then the criminals know they have been discovered and they have alrrady left ....the systems WORK!

Really...I think most people know this but they prefer not to admit that they are efficient because they would rather own guns and use them.

Quoting funglemuggle:

You do not know anything about me.
And ftr I live in a pretty safe area and have adt.
They still kicked in my door. It took the police 25 minutes to arrive. By then they stole what they needed and were gone.
A security system does nothing when someone is there. In your home.
You could live in the most upscale area and someone could still kick in your door.
But continue living in your a security system and a nice neighborhood will protect me world..I was you once.

And PS. I do have a dog. Know what they did? Put him in his cage.

Quoting lga1965:

How about having a SECURITY SYSTEM and living in a nice peaceful area?That's too easy,huh?

Quoting funglemuggle:

Makes no sense. People still break into homes and people still want to kill people.

I hope you're never smack dab in the middle of someone tryig to harm you.

I have been a victim of a home invasion. Its a helpless feeling. I wish I had a gun then. Now I do. Oh well

Quoting lga1965:

Finally, someone one who makes sense!

Most everything is illogical that comes out of gun owners' mouths. Anything to defend their ownership of guns. Doesn't matter that we no longer need  Militias whose members have the right to bear arms......

Quoting momto3B:

Can we please end the "car / gun" comparisions?

A car is a tool created with the intention of transporting people and things, that can be used intentionally or accidentally as a weapon.

A gun on the other hand is a tool created with the intended purpose of  killing, be it animals or people either in self defense or acts of aggression. 

The comparison is illogical. 

Quoting funglemuggle:

Guns are not dangerous. Its the person that uses them in bad ways that are

Just like its not the car that kills but the reckless driver that does.

Quoting nb34:

Oh and he did it "to show that weapons aren't that bad"? Why doesn't somebody use that weapon on him to show him exactly how bad weapons are? Asshole!

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM

LOL, well there ya go! The fact that you think Stephen Colbert is an "idiot" is very revealing. That you don't know that he is  a very intelligent ,socially responsible and witty man has shown us  that you have no taste and no smarts. I suppose you think someone like Ted Nugent is someone to admire? LOL.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Stephen Colbert? THAT'S where you're getting your info from? Oh gawd... He's a idiot

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting lga1965:

Excellent!  True---what would have happened here if the guy at JCPenney was BLACK?

Good points!

Well for one, he was in Utah.  Black people in Utah? 

But serously what if a black man was armed and in front of a polling place, no, not in the 1960s but as recent s the 2008 and 2012 elections.

Course this being Cafemom, the black man would have been celebrated

Listen, lga1965 we all know you are deathly afraid of anything that even resembles a gun and would be the first to call the police if you saw kids running around the playground with a pointed finger going "pew-pew"   Try not to let your irrational fear get the better of you.

That was so damn stupid of you, words fail me......surprised

So I will borrow from Stephen Colbert:

"Dr. King would be pro-gun just as surely as Jesus would be pro-nail." -- Stephen Colbert

‎"I've long known rage was a life saver. I learned it from my mentor Rush Limbaugh, because every time you look at him you gotta ask, 'How is he still alive?'" -- Stephen Colbert
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I expect the stores where I shop to look like respectable and feature a relatively pleasant environment. A guy with a big gun slung over his body conveys an attitude of confrontation and makes the store look like a low class place of business.

I am not a "not job anti gun activist" as you wrote....LOL....I expect more from people and you don't expect anything, obviously.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Lady, he walked in, was not waving the gun at anyone, conducted his business as usual, and left. How does that make him a loser? Are you anti-gun? That's the only explanation I can find for you to have a problem with this.
Granted, walking around in public carrying a gun, not concealed, wasn't his smartest move... But I totally defend his reason. Guns don't kill people, people who don't practice safe gun ownership kill people. I haven't read anywhere that says whether he did or didn't have the gun loaded. But I would be willing to bet it was not. so, tell me what the problem is... Btw your accusation carry no real foundation... You sound like a not job anti-gun activist. No one takes those people seriously.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting ramonafrog:

I think all gun owners should be allowed to open carry. There would be a lot less nuts out there killing people if they knew the penalty was gonna be return fire.
I would say I'm shocked at the negative comments bashing the guy, but I'm not.

wellllll....sorry, but walking into a JC Penney and seeing a guy with a BIG gun slung over his body is bizarre. Totally an example of a socially inept mental midget.If you know anyone like this guy, run...run  in the opposite direction. And please don't defend this guy or guys like him. He's a LOSER. Losers get bashed. Get used to it.

‎"I've long known rage was a life saver. I learned it from my mentor Rush Limbaugh, because every time you look at him you gotta ask, 'How is he still alive?'" -- Stephen Colbert
ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Meh, poop.

Quoting lga1965:

LOL, well there ya go! The fact that you think Stephen Colbert is an "idiot" is very revealing. That you don't know that he is  a very intelligent ,socially responsible and witty man has shown us  that you have no taste and no smarts. I suppose you think someone like Ted Nugent is someone to admire? LOL.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Stephen Colbert? THAT'S where you're getting your info from? Oh gawd... He's a idiot

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting lga1965:

Excellent!  True---what would have happened here if the guy at JCPenney was BLACK?

Good points!

But serously what if a black man was armed and in front of a polling place, no, not in the 1960s but as recent s the 2008 and 2012 elections.

Listen, lga1965 we all know you are deathly afraid of anything that even resembles a gun and would be the first to call the police if you saw kids running around the playground with a pointed finger going "pew-pew"   Try not to let your irrational fear get the better of you.

"Dr. King would be pro-gun just as surely as Jesus would be pro-nail." -- Stephen Colbert

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Yeah know, that douche does look pretty menacing. I feel threatened. I'm afraid. I need to shoot him. 

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM

LOL, that was absolutely.......I can't say. I would be violating the Cafe Mom TOS.

But.....poop?That is your answer?

blank staregoing crazywow......

Quoting ramonafrog:

Meh, poop.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting lga1965:

Good points!

ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Whatever lady. First, I'm mobile. Second, as a responsible mom I tend to pay more attention to my kids than whether or not I misspell nutjob... And I most certainly don't have time to go around pointing out every little typo. Nonetheless, you knew what I meant and I stand by my previous statements.
Thanks btw for confirming my opinions about you... Guns = low class... Gotcha.

Quoting lga1965:

I expect the stores where I shop to look like respectable and feature a relatively pleasant environment. A guy with a big gun slung over his body conveys an attitude of confrontation and makes the store look like a low class place of business.

I am not a "not job anti gun activist" as you wrote....LOL....I expect more from people and you don't expect anything, obviously.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Lady, he walked in, was not waving the gun at anyone, conducted his business as usual, and left. How does that make him a loser? Are you anti-gun? That's the only explanation I can find for you to have a problem with this.
Granted, walking around in public carrying a gun, not concealed, wasn't his smartest move... But I totally defend his reason. Guns don't kill people, people who don't practice safe gun ownership kill people. I haven't read anywhere that says whether he did or didn't have the gun loaded. But I would be willing to bet it was not. so, tell me what the problem is... Btw your accusation carry no real foundation... You sound like a not job anti-gun activist. No one takes those people seriously.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting ramonafrog:

I think all gun owners should be allowed to open carry. There would be a lot less nuts out there killing people if they knew the penalty was gonna be return fire.
I would say I'm shocked at the negative comments bashing the guy, but I'm not.

wellllll....sorry, but walking into a JC Penney and seeing a guy with a BIG gun slung over his body is bizarre. Totally an example of a socially inept mental midget.If you know anyone like this guy, run...run  in the opposite direction. And please don't defend this guy or guys like him. He's a LOSER. Losers get bashed. Get used to it.

ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Yep. Poop. Congrats for being the most ridiculous and furthest "out there".

Quoting lga1965:

LOL, that was absolutely.......I can't say. I would be violating the Cafe Mom TOS.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Meh, poop.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting lga1965:

Good points!

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

WHen someone replies as you did with the word "Poop", it kinda makes me think it is a school kid who is borrowing their Mom's computer.

Time for bed now little girl.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Yep. Poop. Congrats for being the most ridiculous and furthest "out there".

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Meh, poop.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting lga1965:

Good points!

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SweetChild63:

Yeah know, that douche does look pretty menacing. I feel threatened. I'm afraid. I need to shoot him. 

I disagree. I think he looks like a Low IQ, Low class, trailer trash guy who needs a gun to feel like a real man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured