Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

picture of a man in JCPenney with a rifle goes viral **pic added**

RIVERDALE ‚ÄĒ The gun debate continues to rage, and one man has gained a lot of attention. A picture of him wearing a rifle inside the Riverdale JC Penney has gone viral.

The picture received more than 10,000 comments on the KSL Facebook page with people wondering who the man is and why he carried a rifle into a public store.

The man is Joseph Kelley, and he says he did it to show that weapons aren't that bad, but he didn't expect this type of reaction.

Cindy Yorgason took the picture while she was waiting in line to return an item at JC Penney on Thursday. She saw him and noticed other people looking at him, so she snapped a picture on her cell phone. She posted the picture on her Facebook page and people went crazy.

Yorgason says she never felt threatened by the man, but believes a place like JC Penney is an inappropriate place to bring a weapon.

"There are just other ways that are a better way to take a stance," Yorgason said.

Other people that commented on the picture had different opinions about the man carrying his rifle in public. Joe Herbalist says that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. He also says that he is a peace abiding citizen.

Mike Ford says, "If he's going to carry his weapon around he needs to be mindful about not just his own safety, but others around him."

Kelley was not asked to leave the store, and he was not arrested. Riverdale police said that they never received one phone call about the man being in the store with a gun.

This is from ksl.com

little.worthen

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Replies (231-240):
SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Sarcasim on my part, but yeah he's PWT

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Yeah know, that douche does look pretty menacing. I feel threatened. I'm afraid. I need to shoot him. 

I disagree. I think he looks like a Low IQ, Low class, trailer trash guy who needs a gun to feel like a real man.

ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:05 AM
In seriously at awe at the amount if energy you're wasting being concerned about me posting "poop". Apparently you're too stupid to realize that what that response meant was "I couldn't care less of your opinion concerning me, and you'd be wasting your time to continue responding with your asinine opinions and ramblings". I really didn't think I'd have to spell it out so vividly. Considering this is a mom site I assume all people responding are old enough to be smarter than you appear.

Quoting lga1965:

WHen someone replies as you did with the word "Poop", it kinda makes me think it is a school kid who is borrowing their Mom's computer.

Time for bed now little girl.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Yep. Poop. Congrats for being the most ridiculous and furthest "out there".

Quoting lga1965:

LOL, that was absolutely.......I can't say. I would be violating the Cafe Mom TOS.

But.....poop?That is your answer?

blank staregoing crazywow......

Quoting ramonafrog:

Meh, poop.

Quoting lga1965:

LOL, well there ya go! The fact that you think Stephen Colbert is an "idiot" is very revealing. That you don't know that he is  a very intelligent ,socially responsible and witty man has shown us  that you have no taste and no smarts. I suppose you think someone like Ted Nugent is someone to admire? LOL.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Stephen Colbert? THAT'S where you're getting your info from? Oh gawd... He's a idiot

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting lga1965:

Excellent!  True---what would have happened here if the guy at JCPenney was BLACK?

Good points!

Well for one, he was in Utah.  Black people in Utah? 

But serously what if a black man was armed and in front of a polling place, no, not in the 1960s but as recent s the 2008 and 2012 elections.

Course this being Cafemom, the black man would have been celebrated

Listen, lga1965 we all know you are deathly afraid of anything that even resembles a gun and would be the first to call the police if you saw kids running around the playground with a pointed finger going "pew-pew"   Try not to let your irrational fear get the better of you.

That was so damn stupid of you, words fail me......surprised

So I will borrow from Stephen Colbert:

"Dr. King would be pro-gun just as surely as Jesus would be pro-nail." -- Stephen Colbert

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by Jane on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this
My brain is not loose. It is safely contained within my skull.

Quoting nb34:

If I see any one with a rifle in a department store I will get the hell out of there asap. I won't stand around to see what happens next. Gun owners in this country are loosing their mind.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JacksMom1221
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Idk, my honest reaction is nervous. If I saw a person, any person, openly carrying a deadly weapon, I would be wary. Be it a gun, machete, whatever. I know he's making a point, not all gun owners are dangerous, but it would make my heart race and I would high tail it away from him. I'm a supporter of the 2nd amendment, but I see no need to bring a weapon of that size into a crowded mall. Just mpo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this
He called the police before doing so in order to let them know should they get any calls regarding him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
starri33
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM

It would be so nice if you were to really, really read what you just wrote, did you not read what funglemuggle wrote? she has a system, it worked as far as alerting someone to the crime in progress happening, where it didn't work is stopping it from happening.

Quoting lga1965:

I am guessing that you do not know how a Security System works .

Its wired into your home. It emits a high pitched, extremely loud sound from a siren  , an alert, if anyone tries to kick open a locked door or a window and the police are alerted and are there within minutes and by then the criminals know they have been discovered and they have alrrady left ....the systems WORK!

Really...I think most people know this but they prefer not to admit that they are efficient because they would rather own guns and use them.

Quoting funglemuggle:

You do not know anything about me.
And ftr I live in a pretty safe area and have adt.
They still kicked in my door. It took the police 25 minutes to I arrive. By then they stole what they needed and were gone.
A security system does nothing when someone is there. In your home.
You could live in the most upscale area and someone could still kick in your door.
But continue living in your a security system and a nice neighborhood will protect me world..I was you once.

And PS. I do have a dog. Know what they did? Put him in his cage.

Quoting lga1965:

How about having a SECURITY SYSTEM and living in a nice peaceful area?That's too easy,huh?

Quoting funglemuggle:

Makes no sense. People still break into homes and people still want to kill people.

I hope you're never smack dab in the middle of someone tryig to harm you.

I have been a victim of a home invasion. Its a helpless feeling. I wish I had a gun then. Now I do. Oh well

Quoting lga1965:

Finally, someone one who makes sense!

Most everything is illogical that comes out of gun owners' mouths. Anything to defend their ownership of guns. Doesn't matter that we no longer need  Militias whose members have the right to bear arms......

Quoting momto3B:

Can we please end the "car / gun" comparisions?

A car is a tool created with the intention of transporting people and things, that can be used intentionally or accidentally as a weapon.

A gun on the other hand is a tool created with the intended purpose of  killing, be it animals or people either in self defense or acts of aggression. 

The comparison is illogical. 

Quoting funglemuggle:

Guns are not dangerous. Its the person that uses them in bad ways that are

Just like its not the car that kills but the reckless driver that does.

Quoting nb34:

Oh and he did it "to show that weapons aren't that bad"? Why doesn't somebody use that weapon on him to show him exactly how bad weapons are? Asshole!

Aamy
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont see the issue ?? If its legal that he can open carry it ........ more power to him. I wish we had the same law here in NY. 

lga1965
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I read it but I find it hard to believe.

Quoting starri33:

It would be so nice if you were to really, really read what you just wrote, did you not read what funglemuggle wrote? she has a system, it worked as far as alerting someone to the crime in progress happening, where it didn't work is stopping it from happening.

Quoting lga1965:

Its wired into your home. It emits a high pitched, extremely loud sound from a siren  , an alert, if anyone tries to kick open a locked door or a window and the police are alerted and are there within minutes and by then the criminals know they have been discovered and they have alrrady left ....the systems WORK!

Really...I think most people know this but they prefer not to admit that they are efficient because they would rather own guns and use them.

Quoting funglemuggle:

They still kicked in my door. It took the police 25 minutes to I arrive. By then they stole what they needed and were gone.
You could live in the most upscale area and someone could still kick in your door.
But continue living in your a security system and a nice neighborhood will protect me world..I was you once.

Quoting lga1965:

How about having a SECURITY SYSTEM and living in a nice peaceful area?That's too easy,huh?

Quoting funglemuggle:

Makes no sense. People still break into homes and people still want to kill people.

I have been a victim of a home invasion. Its a helpless feeling. I wish I had a gun then. Now I do. Oh well

Quoting lga1965:

Most everything is illogical that comes out of gun owners' mouths. Anything to defend their ownership of guns. Doesn't matter that we no longer need  Militias whose members have the right to bear arms......

Quoting momto3B:

A car is a tool created with the intention of transporting people and things, that can be used intentionally or accidentally as a weapon.

A gun on the other hand is a tool created with the intended purpose of  killing, be it animals or people either in self defense or acts of aggression. 

Quoting funglemuggle:

Quoting nb34:

Oh and he did it "to show that weapons aren't that bad"? Why doesn't somebody use that weapon on him to show him exactly how bad weapons are? Asshole!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by Jane on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Burglars do not care about alarm systems. Even if there is a rapid police response in the area, 3-5 minutes is more than plenty of time for a burglar to get in and grab valubles.

Don't believe me, try it yourself. Time how long it takes from the time you open your door and run to all your valubles. A burglar who does it for a living will be efficient and have a good idea of the layout of the house (unless you have a really old or really custom built house) they do their homework. How long do you think it takes to smash a window? Unplug a TV? Pick up one of those little safes you can buy at walmart? Throw silverware in a bag?

Quoting lga1965:

I read it but I find it hard to believe.

Quoting starri33:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting funglemuggle:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting funglemuggle:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting momto3B:

Quoting funglemuggle:

Quoting nb34:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starri33
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Iga, I've responded in red like you did for me to your replies, hope it helps you to maybe read what the person wrote, in this case me ! Your posts are in black and flagged with ***

***LOL, well there ya go! The fact that you think Stephen Colbert is an "idiot" is very revealing. That you don't know that he is  a very intelligent ,socially responsible and witty man has shown us  that you have no taste and no smarts. I suppose you think someone like Ted Nugent is someone to admire? LOL.*** Personally, I do admire and respect Ted.  He's intelligent and funny and even better ? Thinks for himself, and doesn't have fear to express his own opinion and say it out loud, What do we want to bet Stevie there has armed body guards? maybe even pack himself.

*** I expect the stores where I shop to look like respectable and feature a relatively pleasant environment. A guy with a big gun slung over his body conveys an attitude of confrontation and makes the store look like a low class place of business.***

What are the stores you shop at ? Can you honestly say you have never in your life shopped at a JC Pennys, or God forbid a Walmart ? Your welcome to come check out our "high end" stores, biggest bunch of snobs I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.  You can be standing there waiting for assistance wearing a nice set of sweats and 6,000.00 and pass out from starvation before one of those people help and then it's maybe just to call 911.

***I am not a "not job anti gun activist" as you wrote....LOL....I expect more from people and you don't expect anything, obviously***

I asked yesterday for a list of gun's that you would approve of for a person to have? apparently you don't believe that a person should have any as you have failed to respond to my question.  Just for sh**'s and giggles, what kind of job do you have? Do you need me to provide you with a list of the guns out there? I'd be happy too.

LOL, that was absolutely.......I can't say. I would be violating the Cafe Mom TOS.

But.....poop?That is your answer?

WHen someone replies as you did with the word "Poop", it kinda makes me think it is a school kid who is borrowing their Mom's computer.

Time for bed now little girl.

Did you run through the house yelling "Mommy, Mommy, Ramona said "POOP", I noticed you didn't say anything about me saying "CRAP" that has to be worse than POOP.  little girl, I think it's time for you to grow up, get a grip and do like the Bible tells you, to love your neighbor as you do yourself, or are you only Christian on Weds and Sundays?

*** I disagree. I think he looks like a Low IQ, Low class, trailer trash guy who needs a gun to feel like a real man.***

If I were to draw up a tub of water, would you show me how to walk on it? I find your "holier than thou attitude" absolutely hilarious. You MUST personally know this guy to be able to speak with such certainty of his IQ, Low Class standing (I wasn't aware we had one) Trailer Trash Guy (you must have partied at his house to know this)  just what pray tell makes a person who lives in a trailer/mobile home/mansion a trashy person?  I need to know this one as I figure I am going to have to get a Tee-Shirt made to warn people "I'm trailer Trash" because I live in a single wide in a area that trailers/mobile homes are the predominate housing.  When you live in the boonies like I do, it's the easiest way to get quick housing.  Oh, and what makes me even trashier? I also have a septic tank and well water.

surprise mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN