Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

picture of a man in JCPenney with a rifle goes viral **pic added**

RIVERDALE — The gun debate continues to rage, and one man has gained a lot of attention. A picture of him wearing a rifle inside the Riverdale JC Penney has gone viral.

The picture received more than 10,000 comments on the KSL Facebook page with people wondering who the man is and why he carried a rifle into a public store.

The man is Joseph Kelley, and he says he did it to show that weapons aren't that bad, but he didn't expect this type of reaction.

Cindy Yorgason took the picture while she was waiting in line to return an item at JC Penney on Thursday. She saw him and noticed other people looking at him, so she snapped a picture on her cell phone. She posted the picture on her Facebook page and people went crazy.

Yorgason says she never felt threatened by the man, but believes a place like JC Penney is an inappropriate place to bring a weapon.

"There are just other ways that are a better way to take a stance," Yorgason said.

Other people that commented on the picture had different opinions about the man carrying his rifle in public. Joe Herbalist says that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. He also says that he is a peace abiding citizen.

Mike Ford says, "If he's going to carry his weapon around he needs to be mindful about not just his own safety, but others around him."

Kelley was not asked to leave the store, and he was not arrested. Riverdale police said that they never received one phone call about the man being in the store with a gun.

This is from ksl.com

little.worthen

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

If his local and state laws allow for this why the big deal? He was NO threat to anyone. Not any more than I am with mine on my hip. The difference is that I am a woman with concealed weapon and I have two little kids so I LOOK innocent. The people who carry openly aren't the ones people should fear, it's the sneaky ones who are not legal and can't carry for fear of being questioned and arrested.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree. He's obviously a rapist, because he has a penis...whose only purpose is vaginal entry.

Quoting momto3B:

Can we please end the "car / gun" comparisions?

A car is a tool created with the intention of transporting people and things, that can be used intentionally or accidentally as a weapon.

A gun on the other hand is a tool created with the intended purpose of  killing, be it animals or people either in self defense or acts of aggression. 

The comparison is illogical. 

Quoting funglemuggle:

Guns are not dangerous. Its the person that uses them in bad ways that are

Just like its not the car that kills but the reckless driver that does.

Quoting nb34:

Oh and he did it "to show that weapons aren't that bad"? Why doesn't somebody use that weapon on him to show him exactly how bad weapons are? Asshole!

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Ultra_
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I might need to try that, Lol.

Quoting Angelica46:

That's a huge gun. Wonder if he was there returning something and the cashier felt pressured to oblige?

momto3B
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry, did you just have a stroke? There could be no other reason for an unimpaired person to make a statement so devoid of intelligence or logic. 

But,  a penis IS more like a car then it is like a gun. 

The intended purpose of a penis is both elimination and sex, A penis can be used for rape but is not intended for rape.

The intended purpose of a gun is to kill, whether in self defense or an act of aggression. Waving a gun around and scaring people is not the intended purpose but a happy side effect if killing people is not really what you want. 

Quoting Woodbabe:

I agree. He's obviously a rapist, because he has a penis...whose only purpose is vaginal entry.

Quoting momto3B:

A car is a tool created with the intention of transporting people and things, that can be used intentionally or accidentally as a weapon.

A gun on the other hand is a tool created with the intended purpose of  killing, be it animals or people either in self defense or acts of aggression. 

Quoting funglemuggle:

Quoting nb34:

Oh and he did it "to show that weapons aren't that bad"? Why doesn't somebody use that weapon on him to show him exactly how bad weapons are? Asshole!

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Quoting ashellbell:

Why does one need a rifle at JC Penny?

Good question.

Nobody does.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Finally, someone one who makes sense!

Most everything is illogical that comes out of gun owners' mouths. Anything to defend their ownership of guns. Doesn't matter that we no longer need  Militias whose members have the right to bear arms......

Quoting momto3B:

Quoting funglemuggle:

Quoting nb34:

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Kinda like nobody ever suggested ALL gun owners are responsible.

Quoting krysstizzle:

I've never suggested gun prohibition. Ever. Where do you read that in my reply?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

So unless EVERYBODY who utilizes A thing acts responsibly with It, we remove it from ALL? Gee, I hope You Do not drive a Car, or fly, Or Take the bus Or metro, or ... well Pretty much do anything other tham Sit On your floor in an empty room staring At Blank Walls all day.

Quoting krysstizzle:

So, does anyone else see some scenario where two separate people who are armed both go to the same place, making a point with a rifle, and disaster ensues? 

Can people be responsible gun owners? Yes.

Are all gun owners responsible and sensible? NO. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:11 PM
What an incrediby hateful statement. I hope you don't claim you are open-minded and tolerant because you are the exact opposite.

Quoting nb34:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM

A lady posted that in confessions a few days ago, saying she took the picture.

funglemuggle
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
My IQ is just fine.

Unlike you I don't hurl insults like a 8 year old on a schoolyard when an arguement doesn't go my way

Never said I was fearful. Did I? Nope. However it is my right as a person to be able to defend myself.

I hope you're never thrown in a position where all that stands between you and a person who wants to harm you your family or your property.Insults will only get you so far..

Quoting momto3B:

I cited killing in "self defense"..   The intended purpose of a gun remains to kill, which in no way makes it comparable to a car. 

I am sorry you are so fearful, you might want to get that checked. Although you might want to get your  IQ checked first if you don't understand the difference between a gun and a car.

"One of these things is not like the other" is a basic concept that they cover on Sesame Street or in preschool.  

Quoting funglemuggle:

The comparison makes perfect sense to me. It only makes no sense to you because you view guns as evil and cruel.

As for me I like knowing I can defend myself aganist someone who may harm me with something more than a baseball bat.

Quoting momto3B:

Quoting funglemuggle:

Quoting nb34:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured