Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mother Arrested for Using 13-yr-old as Babysitter

Posted by   + Show Post

Mother Arrested for Using 13-yr-old as Babysitter

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 by Kim Shannon from Buzzworthy Bulletins

When does one become qualified to babysit? Is there a specific age or grade level that accurately measures the aptness of a sitter?

A 39-year-old woman was arrested for leaving her four children – ages 13, 10, 4, and 1 1/2 – alone at home while she attended church. According to this article, she left the children in the care of her eldest child; but when a neighbor called the police, stating that the 4-year-old wandered into the yard across the street alone, this mother was charged with “risk of injury to a minor.”

Some people are criticizing the mom, while others are pointing fingers at the neighbor, “accusing her of acting in anything but a neighborly way.”

When I was 13 years old, my parents felt I was qualified enough to be entrusted with my 9-year old sister and 5-year-old brother while my mom went to the grocery store, or while my parents went out to dinner for a Friday-evening date. I don’t know if they would have done the same if I’d had an even younger sibling; but regardless, they were never gone that long, and they were never too far away. If my younger brother had wandered out into a neighbor’s yard, I think that neighbor would’ve walked him back over to my house and then, perhaps, stayed until my parents returned. Or, that neighbor may have just returned him and scolded me, warning me about the possible dangers, and would’ve later told my parents what had happened.

I also don’t think my little brother would’ve wandered off without my knowledge. I was a bossy 13-year-old, and I loved authority and responsibility. My siblings probably hated when I was left in charge. I was a helicopter babysitter, just as I am a helicopter mom (I make no apologies for my hover-hover-hovering).

Times have definitely changed since I was 13 and children wandering out in streets or into neighbors’ yards can lead to much more dangerous situations than they once would have; but have the times changed so much that using a 13-year-old babysitter is considered child neglect, or “risk of injury to a minor”?

When does one become qualified to babysit? What do you think?

http://www.everydayfamily.com/blog/mother-arrested-for-using-13-yr-old-as-babysitter/

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Replies (131-140):
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Thats bullshit. there are no laws here that i am aware off that limits who can babysit. 

HOWEVER, if the mom left the child with someone not capable of watching him/her then yes, that is neglectful. 

Homeschoolmom99
by Barb on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I think the neighbor was a bitch just saying

Quoting autodidact:

either a 13 year old is mature enough to sit, or not. if not, being in church shouldn't be a pass.

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

She was at church not in a truck doing drugs! I was raising my brother going on three years by the time I was 13! Do they not have better things to charge folks with?

nurbabe82
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Quoting desertlvn:

I think that many 13 yr olds are mature enought babysit. But this particular 13 yr old clearly isn't. I wouldn't charge the mom with a crime.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM

if it's not ok, church doesn't make it ok. 

Quoting mlg1989:

.......well to some people it IS okay.

Like I said in the first sentence, it's legal in most states for a 13 yr olds to watch their siblings.

Quoting autodidact:

wow. church just makes EVERYTHING ok. eye rolling

Quoting mlg1989:

In a lot if states 13 is the legal age you can babysit your own siblings anyway. :/ I think its ridiculous! She was at church not a club.

mlg1989
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Ok whatever you win. I'm too tired to explain how different people have different views. Ughh

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting mlg1989:

Like I said in the first sentence, it's legal in most states for a 13 yr olds to watch their siblings.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting mlg1989:

In a lot if states 13 is the legal age you can babysit your own siblings anyway. :/ I think its ridiculous! She was at church not a club.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcknitro
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I began babysitting for money at about 13 yrs.  She even had a 10yr old sibling which is plenty old enough to give a hand to the 13 yr old.  I think the neighbor sounded like an old hag to me. It seems that people are less neighborly than they used to be when I was young.  When I was young the neighbors would be calling the parents and letting them know what you were up to not the cops.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:24 PM

What does church have to do with it?  I don't care if the mother was at church, the bar down the street or out shopping.

Her daughter was irresponsible and they are damn lucky nothing happened to that little boy.

I don't know that she should have been arrested, as I stated earlier, but I also can't say I blame taking a look to ensure this was just a one time shot with a kiddo who is not ready for that type of responsibility.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Another thing, I've been thinking about this.........if i was to see a little one walking around, whom I did not know, I would keep an eye on him and call the police.  What am I going to do, go door to door?  No.

If I knew him, I would take him home and let his parents know they damn well better pay more attention.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I'm not arguing about the babysitters age, I just don't get why it matters that she was at church, as though that makes it okay. 

Quoting mlg1989:

Ok whatever you win. I'm too tired to explain how different people have different views. Ughh

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting mlg1989:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting mlg1989:

viv212
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Maybe this wasn't the first time and the neighbor noticed that the mom would leave the children often.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN