Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mother Arrested for Using 13-yr-old as Babysitter

Posted by   + Show Post

Mother Arrested for Using 13-yr-old as Babysitter

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 by Kim Shannon from Buzzworthy Bulletins

When does one become qualified to babysit? Is there a specific age or grade level that accurately measures the aptness of a sitter?

A 39-year-old woman was arrested for leaving her four children – ages 13, 10, 4, and 1 1/2 – alone at home while she attended church. According to this article, she left the children in the care of her eldest child; but when a neighbor called the police, stating that the 4-year-old wandered into the yard across the street alone, this mother was charged with “risk of injury to a minor.”

Some people are criticizing the mom, while others are pointing fingers at the neighbor, “accusing her of acting in anything but a neighborly way.”

When I was 13 years old, my parents felt I was qualified enough to be entrusted with my 9-year old sister and 5-year-old brother while my mom went to the grocery store, or while my parents went out to dinner for a Friday-evening date. I don’t know if they would have done the same if I’d had an even younger sibling; but regardless, they were never gone that long, and they were never too far away. If my younger brother had wandered out into a neighbor’s yard, I think that neighbor would’ve walked him back over to my house and then, perhaps, stayed until my parents returned. Or, that neighbor may have just returned him and scolded me, warning me about the possible dangers, and would’ve later told my parents what had happened.

I also don’t think my little brother would’ve wandered off without my knowledge. I was a bossy 13-year-old, and I loved authority and responsibility. My siblings probably hated when I was left in charge. I was a helicopter babysitter, just as I am a helicopter mom (I make no apologies for my hover-hover-hovering).

Times have definitely changed since I was 13 and children wandering out in streets or into neighbors’ yards can lead to much more dangerous situations than they once would have; but have the times changed so much that using a 13-year-old babysitter is considered child neglect, or “risk of injury to a minor”?

When does one become qualified to babysit? What do you think?

http://www.everydayfamily.com/blog/mother-arrested-for-using-13-yr-old-as-babysitter/

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Replies (21-30):
opal10161973
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Ridiculous! In the state of FL, they only need to be 13 and to have taken a Class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:20 AM
2 moms liked this
The four year old crossed the street alone & no one was aware where he was! Why does it matter that mom was at church? Clearly this 13yo was irresponsible. Which makes this mom irresponsible. What if the 4yo had been hit & killed by a vehicle? Would it not be the mom's fault because she was in church?

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

She was at church not in a truck doing drugs! I was raising my brother going on three years by the time I was 13! Do they not have better things to charge folks with?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM
The 4yo crossed a street alone & no one was aware of where he was. Clearly this 13yo was irresponsible, which makes mom irresponsible. If the 4yo had been killed by oncoming traffic would that make your response different?

Quoting opal10161973:

Ridiculous! In the state of FL, they only need to be 13 and to have taken a Class.

DonnaPinitonya
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

This poor mom! IF her 13 yr old did not watch well that is between her and her child not the police! 

LaceNBklyn
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM
I think 16
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM
My big issue isn't the age of the babysitter. Its the irresponsibility of this particular babysitter, whom the mom has known for 13 yrs! What if the 4yo had gotten hit & killed by a vehicle? Honestly, I think that a wandering 4yo crossing a street is lethal & terrifying. I'm stunned how few of you agree. I think the state has every right to get involved. They need to make sure all the children are safe. & now y'all are going to threaten to not support me when my DD wanders off, chas v'shalom. Okey dokey then.
opal10161973
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh the prejudgement today! My brother would run the neighborhood at 7yo. People are so judgemental nowadays. Sometimes, kids play or wait until you are busy, to get away. It happens. Once is an accident. Twice is neglect. Idk, was it only the one time?

Quoting Bookwormy:

The four year old crossed the street alone & no one was aware where he was! Why does it matter that mom was at church? Clearly this 13yo was irresponsible. Which makes this mom irresponsible. What if the 4yo had been hit & killed by a vehicle? Would it not be the mom's fault because she was in church?

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

She was at church not in a truck doing drugs! I was raising my brother going on three years by the time I was 13! Do they not have better things to charge folks with?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I think 13 is plenty old enough but she may have been overwhelmed with 3 young kids or just not quite mature enough...

Every kid is differnet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Strange, considering the Red Cross certifies at the age of 12. And I know a considerable amount of states don't even have age limits for children to be left unattended.
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM
I don't particularly like a 7yo doing that. A 4yo is very different developmentally than a 7yo & that is absolutely unacceptable, in both my personal & professional opinion. Seriously though, mom & child are both lucky that he wasn't hit by oncoming traffic. Crossing a street for a 4yo, all alone, often is lethal. It may sound judgemental. So be it. I'm a social worker & safety is the ultimate #1 priority. I'd much rather be safe than sorry.

My DD just turned 6yo, is very mature, knows to look both ways, & I would still freak if she crossed a street by herself, with no one knowing where she was. I know an immature 4yo & I would be scared for his life & hyperactive limbs if he crossed a street by himself & no one knew where he was!

Quoting opal10161973:

Oh the prejudgement today! My brother would run the neighborhood at 7yo. People are so judgemental nowadays. Sometimes, kids play or wait until you are busy, to get away. It happens. Once is an accident. Twice is neglect. Idk, was it only the one time?

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured