Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mother Arrested for Using 13-yr-old as Babysitter

Posted by   + Show Post

Mother Arrested for Using 13-yr-old as Babysitter

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 by Kim Shannon from Buzzworthy Bulletins

When does one become qualified to babysit? Is there a specific age or grade level that accurately measures the aptness of a sitter?

A 39-year-old woman was arrested for leaving her four children – ages 13, 10, 4, and 1 1/2 – alone at home while she attended church. According to this article, she left the children in the care of her eldest child; but when a neighbor called the police, stating that the 4-year-old wandered into the yard across the street alone, this mother was charged with “risk of injury to a minor.”

Some people are criticizing the mom, while others are pointing fingers at the neighbor, “accusing her of acting in anything but a neighborly way.”

When I was 13 years old, my parents felt I was qualified enough to be entrusted with my 9-year old sister and 5-year-old brother while my mom went to the grocery store, or while my parents went out to dinner for a Friday-evening date. I don’t know if they would have done the same if I’d had an even younger sibling; but regardless, they were never gone that long, and they were never too far away. If my younger brother had wandered out into a neighbor’s yard, I think that neighbor would’ve walked him back over to my house and then, perhaps, stayed until my parents returned. Or, that neighbor may have just returned him and scolded me, warning me about the possible dangers, and would’ve later told my parents what had happened.

I also don’t think my little brother would’ve wandered off without my knowledge. I was a bossy 13-year-old, and I loved authority and responsibility. My siblings probably hated when I was left in charge. I was a helicopter babysitter, just as I am a helicopter mom (I make no apologies for my hover-hover-hovering).

Times have definitely changed since I was 13 and children wandering out in streets or into neighbors’ yards can lead to much more dangerous situations than they once would have; but have the times changed so much that using a 13-year-old babysitter is considered child neglect, or “risk of injury to a minor”?

When does one become qualified to babysit? What do you think?

http://www.everydayfamily.com/blog/mother-arrested-for-using-13-yr-old-as-babysitter/

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Replies (31-40):
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Thank you!

Quoting Paperfishies:

Obviously the 13 year old isnt mature or responsible enough to be in charge of 3 children, If the 4 year old was wondering around outside.

I agree, the mother should have been arrested.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Proud2BWeird
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Spoken like a truly self-righteous woman with a strange idea of reality. God knows things like this would NEVER happen when a responsible person is watching the kids!

My parents were wonderful, loving, careful people. It didn't stop my brother from "playing Houdini" and getting outside when their backs were turned.

This is ridiculous! No way should this woman have been arrested! She needs to talk to the 13 year old about being more attentive, and not leave her babysitting until she proves herself.

The neighbor is a bitch.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Obviously the 13 year old isnt mature or responsible enough to be in charge of 3 children, If the 4 year old was wondering around outside.

Mama2JoshKatie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Oh they would have loved my Mom then! lol She let me start babysitting when I was 11, and it was other people's kids (I don't have younger siblings). Mind you this was 25 years ago, but I still think 13 is plenty old enough to babysit, especially younger siblings. Still I wonder what this 13 year old was doing while the 4 year old was wandering around outside?

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM
The title is wrong. She was charged with a crime, not because she left the children with her eldest daughter who was only 13yo. She was charged with risk of injury to a minor. There was clearly a risk of injury to a minor when a 4yo crossed a street alone! Read the article! Further, the blog/article never says she was arrested. Its possible that only CPS/child welfare is involved & no arrest was made.
Kaya529
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I was watching my 1 year old sister and 10 year old brother with no issues. I also watched the neighbors 4 kids, the youngest was 2. Oddly, when I watched them the youngest never wandered but when the mom was home we were constantly taking him back after he escaped...lol.

Proud2BWeird
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM
So you're stating that no responsible person has ever had something like this happen?

I guess "the state"needs to arrest any parent whose children have been killed when struck by a car. After all, it must mean they were behaving irresponsibly.

It's nice you want to live in a Big Brother state. Most of us don't, so count us out!

BTW- "they" can't guarantee our or our children's safety any better than we can. Worse, actually, since in reality they don't give a flying f.

Quoting Bookwormy:

My big issue isn't the age of the babysitter. Its the irresponsibility of this particular babysitter, whom the mom has known for 13 yrs! What if the 4yo had gotten hit & killed by a vehicle? Honestly, I think that a wandering 4yo crossing a street is lethal & terrifying. I'm stunned how few of you agree. I think the state has every right to get involved. They need to make sure all the children are safe. & now y'all are going to threaten to not support me when my DD wanders off, chas v'shalom. Okey dokey then.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I babysat regularly at 12 years old.  I watched my little brother at sister at 11 for short periods of time.  At 13 I would regularly watch my little brother and sister after school, make supper and keep the house picked up until my mom got home from classes.  (She was finishing a college degree and often didn't get home until 6 or 7pm.)  

I don't agree with charging the mother with anything.  

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh shut the fuck up lady. Im ultra proactive when it comes to my kids getting "loose". My autistic 2 year old is an escape artist who has no fear, we go the extra mile to ensure our kids aren't roaming the streets like lost puppies.

The neighbor did the right thing, for all you or I know the kid has gotten out before and the mother is a negligent fool. A parent knows if their teen is responsible enough to be fully responsible for 3 younger siblings, obviously this teen is not but the mom left her in charge anyway.
This 4 year old could have been hit by a car or taken. I would have brought the 4 year old in and called the police as well. Too many parents are careless fucking losers, who's children end up paying a price for their parent's carelessness.

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Spoken like a truly self-righteous woman with a strange idea of reality. God knows things like this would NEVER happen when a responsible person is watching the kids!

My parents were wonderful, loving, careful people. It didn't stop my brother from "playing Houdini" and getting outside when their backs were turned.

This is ridiculous! No way should this woman have been arrested! She needs to talk to the 13 year old about being more attentive, and not leave her babysitting until she proves herself.

The neighbor is a bitch.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Proud2BWeird
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Wow, nice language. I hope you don't talk like that in front of your kids.

I hope your child never gets out when your attention is elsewhere. I'm curious, would you turn yourself in for neglect if he did?

Have a marvelous night.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Oh shut the fuck up lady. Im ultra proactive when it comes to my kids getting "loose". My autistic 2 year old is an escape artist who has no fear, we go the extra mile to ensure our kids aren't roaming the streets like lost puppies.

The neighbor did the right thing, for all you or I know the kid has gotten out before and the mother is a negligent fool. A parent knows if their teen is responsible enough to be fully responsible for 3 younger siblings, obviously this teen is not but the mom left her in charge anyway.
This 4 year old could have been hit by a car or taken. I would have brought the 4 year old in and called the police as well. Too many parents are careless fucking losers, who's children end up paying a price for their parent's carelessness.

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

The neighbor is a bitch.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Lol.

i would seriously question my parenting and would have to have a come to Jesus meeting with myself about pulling my head out of my ass and being a better and more attentive parent.  Would you turn yourself in for going 5 MPH over the speed limit?  

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Wow, nice language. I hope you don't talk like that in front of your kids.

I hope your child never gets out when your attention is elsewhere. I'm curious, would you turn yourself in for neglect if he did?

Have a marvelous night.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

The neighbor is a bitch.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN