Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pro-gun activists plan rallies to oppose Obama's proposals

Posted by   + Show Post

(Reuters) - Angered and afraid that President Barack Obama's proposals to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines are a ploy to strip them of their right to own weapons, pro-gun activists plan to rally across America on Saturday.

Using Facebook and other social media, a group called Guns Across America plans rallies in 49 states, mostly at state capitols and all at "high noon" local time.

"There is no question in my mind that if the federal government could get away with it they would keep passing gun laws until the Second Amendment has gone," said Eric Reed, an airline pilot in Texas who launched the group. "We as a people have to stand together on this."

The contentious debate over American gun rights was revived in December when a gunman used an assault weapon to kill 20 young school children in Newtown, Connecticut.

In the wake of the mass killing, Obama and gun control advocates have begun a push for an assault weapon ban. Gun control advocates say American civilians have no justifiable need for assault weapons or high-capacity magazines.

The reaction has been fierce from gun supporters such as the National Rifle Association, who have long argued that their right to bear arms is enshrined in the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Reed, 38, said he had an epiphany on December 14 after hearing President Obama talk about gun control on the day of the massacre at Sandy Hook.

"I thought if all American gun owners and freedom lovers could come out on the day, it would send a strong message to Washington," he said.

Reed will attend an event in Austin, Texas, whose speakers will include the head of the Waco Tea Party. He said the only state with no organizer for a rally is Alaska.

As of Friday afternoon, the national Facebook page for Guns Across America listed more than 18,000 people who have confirmed they would attend events.

Don Dobyns, 56, a former police office who is organizing an event outside Colorado's capitol building in Denver, said the last estimate he had was that 1,500 people would attend on Saturday.

"But now I don't have a clue because this has exploded," he said. "I can't even keep up with the emails and phone calls."

"A lot of people are afraid that this is nothing more than a power grab by the government."

In Idaho, Russell Thruston, 27, said that when he spotted the Guns Across America Facebook page two weeks ago, he "watched it for a few days."

"When no one volunteered to organize an event in Boise, I thought 'why not me?,'" said Thruston, an electrician, who added that 384 people so far had confirmed on the state event's Facebook page that they would attend. "Gun control is a very slippery slope that we need to avoid."

While Guns Across America has the hallmarks of a grassroots effort, Reed and other organizers say they are unpaid volunteers, a Washington-based Republican consulting firm called Political Media has launched Gun Appreciation Day.

The Washington-based group also uses social media, and its Facebook page includes a number of statewide events, plus rallies at smaller venues including the Montgomery County courthouse in Norristown, Pennsylvania.

(Reporting By Nick Carey; Editing by Neil Stempleman)

source

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I'm 100% for gun rights, but some people are going a bit crazy.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

You did at least agree that people have a right to make their voices heard, and without calling labeling them as 'crazy'. That is appreciated. I apologize for the generalization. I'm rather fed up with the mommies here telling those who own guns that they need to just suck things up, deal with bans, etc. as though they already have no rights ~ and particularly with the ones who actually don't know the difference between a handgun, a shotgun, a rifle, or a military weapon (not one that is dressed up to 'look' like one), etc. If a person has no clue what they are talking about and is screaming their opinion based on complete ignorance and personal feelings (and can't be bothered with actually educating themselves or only sneers at others because they do know) it gets annoying.

I'm out of here ~ time for the rally.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

As the author of the third reply, I disagree. Try not to generalize.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Sounds to me as though a lot of you (at least the first 7 replies) aren't at all happy with the possibility that those polls you keep citing showing that most people favor gun control will be proven wrong if the turn out is big enough ... or that those who have been elected into office to do the bidding of their constituents may very well get the message that if they vote wrong on this they are voting themselves right out of a job.

I have no problem with making sure that people who purchase guns are mentally stable. I absolutely believe that people who own guns should know how to use them and practice frequently. The real control that I want to see is very severe punishment for everyone that uses a weapon to commit any crime, and with regards to mental health care (and not a tattle tale system that causes people to avoid care). Since O has seen fit to shove health care down our throats and dictate things that must be covered, then he should be dictating that insurance companies cover ALL mental health issues as well.

And ~ for anyone interested ~ yes, I will be at my state's rally.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM
4 moms liked this

Personally I find it a bit strange that people are all for regulations and laws in areas such as seat belts; bike helmets; car seats; speed limits; pretty much all areas of life and have advocated for such things as the removal of swings, merry-go-rounds, etc. from school yards right down to some schools banning playing tag. All in the name of public safety and the safety of our children, but when it comes to weaponery, some of these same people don't want any regulations at all and some are against such things as universal background checks, especially if those checks have access to mental health records. They claim that it would discourage those who need help from seeking it. Well, in order to seek help, one first needs to admit a need for it and just like many alcoholics don't get help because they refuse to see they have a problem, those who need mental health help often really don't believe they do. I wonder just how far some of these people are willing to go, if they, at any point, would say "no one needs that type of weapon" or if they just fully believe that all should be able to obtain any type of weapon they desire. IMO, if someone doesn't like the idea of a full background check, perhaps that person shouldn't be purchasing a weapon to begin with and if access to mental health records as part of a background check helps to keep weapons out of the hands of the mentally unstable, I don't see it as a bad thing.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this

It's nice to see people getting together to rally and stand up for their beliefs.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

When you get back, let us know how the rally was.

Quoting Farmlady09:

You did at least agree that people have a right to make their voices heard, and without calling labeling them as 'crazy'. That is appreciated. I apologize for the generalization. I'm rather fed up with the mommies here telling those who own guns that they need to just suck things up, deal with bans, etc. as though they already have no rights ~ and particularly with the ones who actually don't know the difference between a handgun, a shotgun, a rifle, or a military weapon (not one that is dressed up to 'look' like one), etc. If a person has no clue what they are talking about and is screaming their opinion based on complete ignorance and personal feelings (and can't be bothered with actually educating themselves or only sneers at others because they do know) it gets annoying.

I'm out of here ~ time for the rally.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

As the author of the third reply, I disagree. Try not to generalize.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Sounds to me as though a lot of you (at least the first 7 replies) aren't at all happy with the possibility that those polls you keep citing showing that most people favor gun control will be proven wrong if the turn out is big enough ... or that those who have been elected into office to do the bidding of their constituents may very well get the message that if they vote wrong on this they are voting themselves right out of a job.

I have no problem with making sure that people who purchase guns are mentally stable. I absolutely believe that people who own guns should know how to use them and practice frequently. The real control that I want to see is very severe punishment for everyone that uses a weapon to commit any crime, and with regards to mental health care (and not a tattle tale system that causes people to avoid care). Since O has seen fit to shove health care down our throats and dictate things that must be covered, then he should be dictating that insurance companies cover ALL mental health issues as well.

And ~ for anyone interested ~ yes, I will be at my state's rally.

samurai_chica
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM
2 moms liked this

The majority of people i know who own guns are FOR GUN CONTROL.

It's only the super anti-obama folks who are freaking out right now. My FIL seriously thinks obama is going to take everyone's guns away ...like ALL of them...leaving us with no way to protect ourselves from the tyrannical government who is secretly trying to take over the world & take EVERYONE's rights away...lol...and they're probably going to kill all repubicans too...lol...

Anyhow...there aren't enough militia to ever combat the government. We have the largest military in the world who are MORE than proud to serve for their government & their country...who do these militia folk think they are? Fucking X-men? No matter how many guns you have the government will kick your ass whether you like it or not. It's all a bunch of crazy bullshit...people are being big ole cry babies when there are much bigger things to be crying about in the world....

The paranoia & craziness is out of control.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't bet my house on that one.  

Quoting samurai_chica:

It's only the super anti-obama folks who are freaking out right now. My FIL seriously thinks obama is going to take everyone's guns away ...like ALL of them...leaving us with no way to protect ourselves from the tyrannical government who is secretly trying to take over the world & take EVERYONE's rights away...lol...and they're probably going to kill all repubicans too...lol...

Anyhow...there aren't enough militia to ever combat the government. We have the largest military in the world who are MORE than proud to serve for their government & their country...who do these militia folk think they are? Fucking X-men? No matter how many guns you have the government will kick your ass whether you like it or not. It's all a bunch of crazy bullshit...people are being big ole cry babies when there are much bigger things to be crying about in the world....

samurai_chica
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM

If there was a militia who felt they needed to rise up against the government and actually tried...they would fail miserably....

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting samurai_chica:

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM

You have no idea what you are talking about.   I guarantee they won't fail.  There are many in the military that would not take part in that.

Quoting samurai_chica:

If there was a militia who felt they needed to rise up against the government and actually tried...they would fail miserably....

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting samurai_chica:

samurai_chica
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

The military does as they are told. They took that oath when they joined. If they could just "not take part" in things they may not agree with, some wouldn't be out at war doing what the government is telling them to do....risking their life & risking the lives of innocent people. They would be in military jail for not following orders. Anyway, they wouldn't have joined in the first place if there was something they "would not take part in".  Anyone who has that thought is not meant for the military. That is not a good argument on your part. Once you join the military, you belong to the government. And people who join are aware of that & take an oath & honor it because they are good American citizens.

Also....militia does not have the arsenal the government has. If you think any lame militia has a chance against the government, you are living in a dream world.

You are the one does not know what she is talking about here....it's quite comical that someone actually believes a tyrannical militia could stand a chance against our government....lol...very funny.

Quoting candlegal:

You have no idea what you are talking about.   I guarantee they won't fail.  There are many in the military that would not take part in that.

Quoting samurai_chica:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting samurai_chica:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)