Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pro-gun activists plan rallies to oppose Obama's proposals

Posted by   + Show Post

(Reuters) - Angered and afraid that President Barack Obama's proposals to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines are a ploy to strip them of their right to own weapons, pro-gun activists plan to rally across America on Saturday.

Using Facebook and other social media, a group called Guns Across America plans rallies in 49 states, mostly at state capitols and all at "high noon" local time.

"There is no question in my mind that if the federal government could get away with it they would keep passing gun laws until the Second Amendment has gone," said Eric Reed, an airline pilot in Texas who launched the group. "We as a people have to stand together on this."

The contentious debate over American gun rights was revived in December when a gunman used an assault weapon to kill 20 young school children in Newtown, Connecticut.

In the wake of the mass killing, Obama and gun control advocates have begun a push for an assault weapon ban. Gun control advocates say American civilians have no justifiable need for assault weapons or high-capacity magazines.

The reaction has been fierce from gun supporters such as the National Rifle Association, who have long argued that their right to bear arms is enshrined in the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Reed, 38, said he had an epiphany on December 14 after hearing President Obama talk about gun control on the day of the massacre at Sandy Hook.

"I thought if all American gun owners and freedom lovers could come out on the day, it would send a strong message to Washington," he said.

Reed will attend an event in Austin, Texas, whose speakers will include the head of the Waco Tea Party. He said the only state with no organizer for a rally is Alaska.

As of Friday afternoon, the national Facebook page for Guns Across America listed more than 18,000 people who have confirmed they would attend events.

Don Dobyns, 56, a former police office who is organizing an event outside Colorado's capitol building in Denver, said the last estimate he had was that 1,500 people would attend on Saturday.

"But now I don't have a clue because this has exploded," he said. "I can't even keep up with the emails and phone calls."

"A lot of people are afraid that this is nothing more than a power grab by the government."

In Idaho, Russell Thruston, 27, said that when he spotted the Guns Across America Facebook page two weeks ago, he "watched it for a few days."

"When no one volunteered to organize an event in Boise, I thought 'why not me?,'" said Thruston, an electrician, who added that 384 people so far had confirmed on the state event's Facebook page that they would attend. "Gun control is a very slippery slope that we need to avoid."

While Guns Across America has the hallmarks of a grassroots effort, Reed and other organizers say they are unpaid volunteers, a Washington-based Republican consulting firm called Political Media has launched Gun Appreciation Day.

The Washington-based group also uses social media, and its Facebook page includes a number of statewide events, plus rallies at smaller venues including the Montgomery County courthouse in Norristown, Pennsylvania.

(Reporting By Nick Carey; Editing by Neil Stempleman)

source

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Replies (21-30):
blondekosmic15
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Quoting candlegal:

You have no idea what you are talking about.   I guarantee they won't fail.  There are many in the military that would not take part in that.

Thank you candlegal. My sentiments exactly....

Quoting samurai_chica:

If there was a militia who felt they needed to rise up against the government and actually tried...they would fail miserably....

Quoting candlegal:

I wouldn't bet my house on that one.  

Quoting samurai_chica:

The majority of people i know who own guns are FOR GUN CONTROL.

It's only the super anti-obama folks who are freaking out right now. My FIL seriously thinks obama is going to take everyone's guns away ...like ALL of them...leaving us with no way to protect ourselves from the tyrannical government who is secretly trying to take over the world & take EVERYONE's rights away...lol...and they're probably going to kill all repubicans too...lol...

Anyhow...there aren't enough militia to ever combat the government. We have the largest military in the world who are MORE than proud to serve for their government & their country...who do these militia folk think they are? Fucking X-men? No matter how many guns you have the government will kick your ass whether you like it or not. It's all a bunch of crazy bullshit...people are being big ole cry babies when there are much bigger things to be crying about in the world....

The paranoia & craziness is out of control.

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Many of us just gathered at gun shows, gun stores and shooting ranges today. We all took pictures to post in various places. There is a better organized and larger movement for Feb. 8th at 10am at all the state capitols.

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Quoting samurai_chica:

If the order is unlawful, they do not have to follow it. Their first priority is to follow the constitution. If the order the president gives goes against the constitution they do not, and a great number of them will not follow.

From my former marine husband.
lga1965
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I agree with rallying and freedom of speech and objecting. These people have the right to rally all over America .

Its a pretty sure thing that all it will accomplish is allowing them to vent and dress up like George Washington or carry signs with obscene messages. They can vent,they can feel strong and manly.

They can worry out loud about the Constitution being changed. They can protest  the President with personal insults having nothing to do with policy.....because ...they just don't like him.But all that will do is satisfy their need to express their prejudices.

But it won't make any difference at all. It won't because the  majority of gun owners also believe in gun control and more gun regs and strict requirements for owning guns. and most either buy a small , non military style weapon for home defense or a hunting rifle because they like to hunt .

But if it makes the people feel better who wish to own large military style weapons and the people who sell these weapons ( it is a big business and they capitalize off tragedies that encourage people to rush to buy guns and ammo) then good for them. If it makes them feel better to vent their insecurities , anger and fears, then they can do it because the Constitution allows them to do so. Personally, they are just going to make themselves look bad...immature and paranoid. I will laugh.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM

You can laugh all you want, but I can pretty much guarantee there won't be much to laugh at.  I wonder how much time you spent laughing last year when the OWS was out in full force, raping and pillaging and defacating on cars.  They made the left look pretty bad but I am sure you have all kinds of excuses for what they did.

Quoting lga1965:

I agree with rallying and freedom of speech and objecting. These people have the right to rally all over America .

Its a pretty sure thing that all it will accomplish is allowing them to vent and ress up like George Washington or carry signs with obscene messages. They can vent,they can feel strong and manly.

They can worry out loud about the Constitution being changed. They can protest  the President with personal insults having nothing to do with policy.....because ...they just don't like him.But all that will do is satisfy their need to express their prejudices.

But it won't make any difference at all. It won't because the  maajority of gun owners also believe in gun control and more gun regs and strict requirements for owning guns. and most either buy a small , non military style weapon for home defense or a hunting rifle because they like to hunt .

But if it makes them feel better to vent their insecurities , anger and fears, then they can do it because the Constitution allows them to do so. Personally, they are just going to make themselves look bad...immature and paranoid. I will laugh.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I would be willing to bet she has never heard of the oathkeepers and doesn't know what they stand for or the vow they have taken.

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting samurai_chica:

If the order is unlawful, they do not have to follow it. Their first priority is to follow the constitution. If the order the president gives goes against the constitution they do not, and a great number of them will not follow.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey blonde, good to see you in here again.   I have missed you.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting candlegal:

You have no idea what you are talking about.   I guarantee they won't fail.  There are many in the military that would not take part in that.

Quoting samurai_chica:

If there was a militia who felt they needed to rise up against the government and actually tried...they would fail miserably....

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting samurai_chica:

It's only the super anti-obama folks who are freaking out right now. My FIL seriously thinks obama is going to take everyone's guns away ...like ALL of them...leaving us with no way to protect ourselves from the tyrannical government who is secretly trying to take over the world & take EVERYONE's rights away...lol...and they're probably going to kill all repubicans too...lol...

Anyhow...there aren't enough militia to ever combat the government. We have the largest military in the world who are MORE than proud to serve for their government & their country...who do these militia folk think they are? Fucking X-men? No matter how many guns you have the government will kick your ass whether you like it or not. It's all a bunch of crazy bullshit...people are being big ole cry babies when there are much bigger things to be crying about in the world....

lga1965
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I have gone to the Oath Keeprs' Website. I have researched news items about them. They might be members of all the military branches, and others such as police,etc.etc. but they are not the average members. They are radical and they are seem to say thay want to piss on the Government and the president.They always have been radical and have no respect for anyone. They are disgusting.  I have a feeling that most military members are embarassed by this organization.

I have to laugh when you talk about me and pretend I "don't know anything" when I have been researching and reading for many years,. probably longer than most of you have been alive.  But of it boosts your ego and self esteem by putting me down then I am glad I have been able to help you.

Quoting candlegal:

I would be willing to bet she has never heard of the oathkeepers and doesn't know what they stand for or the vow they have taken.

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting samurai_chica:

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Funny cause I wasn't responding to you on this one.  If you are going to talk about somone laughing and you and putting you down, at least be on the right post.

Quoting lga1965:

I have gone to the Oath Keeprs' Website. I have researched news items about them. They might be members of all the military branches, and others such as police,etc.etc. but they are not the average members. They are radical and they are seem to say thay want to piss on the Government and the president.They always have been radical and have no respect for anyone. They are disgusting.  I have a feeling that most military members are embarassed by this organization.

I have to laugh when you talk about me and pretend I "don't know anything" when I have been researching and reading for many years,. probably longer than most of you have been alive.  But of it boosts your ego and self esteem by putting me down then I am glad I have been able to help you.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting samurai_chica:

blondekosmic15
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Quoting candlegal:

Hey blonde, good to see you in here again.   I have missed you.

Thank you candlegal. I peek in sometimes but my time is limited on the net. Busy on another debate forum. I've never deleted my membership to CEHT. Your post popped up on my pg. Thought I would stop by :} Interesting post. Thx.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting samurai_chica:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting samurai_chica:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)