Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you expect your kids to do house chores? If so, What and at what age?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM
  • 87 Replies
2 moms liked this

My kids do chores...we explain that it is part of being in a family.

Daily, my 8 yo empties the dishwasher, makes her bed, puts away her laundry feeds the dog dinner, helps walk the dog, dresses herself and is responsible for her daily hygiene. My 3yo feeds the dog breakfast, helps walk him, picks up her toys, brushes her teeth and dresses herself. Both of them help set and clear the table. They also help prepare and serve meals.

On Saturday mornings, we spend about 45 min as a family cleaning the whole house...anything that gets skipped during the week and other general stuff. My 3 yo and 8 yo sweep the house, and 8yo mops. She loves the swiffer.

When talking with my friends, it seems most kids my children's age do nothing, or a very small part of this...

Just wondering what goes on in other homes.

Naughty Wittle Puppy

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids are both expected to pick up their toys when they are done playing with them. They are also expected to put away their clean clothes in their dresser drawers,  and put their dirty laundry in the hamper so it can be washed.  They are also expected to feed the fish every morning,  and put pick up their toys out in the yard after they are done with them and put them in the deck box on the patio.  They are also responsible for picking up their rooms and busing their plates after meals, rinsing them and putting them in the dishwasher.

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes indeed they do. 

They take turns putting up their laundry (they share a room). They both clean their room daily. My 11yo takes out the trashes and recycling whenever it's needed. They take turns setting the table and cleaning up afterward. They alternate cleaning their bathroom twice a week. Also twice a week: 11yo sweeps and mops, 8yo vacuums living room and their bedroom. 

They do various other stuff as it comes up. 

PEEK05
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. My almost 4 year old is responsible for her room and helps match the socks and put away laundry.

She helps other chores around the house, like cleaning her younger brother's bedroom or helping in the kitchen and bathroom (with no chemical cleaners). For going above and beyond her expected chores, she gets rewarded (with My Little Pony stickers) for these.

She is such a big help and LOVES to clean! It helps me out right now because I'm at the end of my pregnancy and it's getting harder and harder to do these things lol.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM
It can be a pain to teach them when they are small. but it is soooo worth it. I am beginning to realize the fruits of this effort and how helpful they really are.

Quoting PEEK05:

Yes. My almost 4 year old is responsible for her room and helps match the socks and put away laundry.

She helps other chores around the house, like cleaning her younger brother's bedroom or helping in the kitchen and bathroom (with no chemical cleaners). For going above and beyond her expected chores, she gets rewarded (with My Little Pony stickers) for these.

She is such a big help and LOVES to clean! It helps me out right now because I'm at the end of my pregnancy and it's getting harder and harder to do these things lol.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

My 4 and 5yr olds have to dress themselves, keep their dirty clothes picked up in their hampers. They put their own dishes in the dishwasher, brush their own teeth, pick up their toys and generally handle the kid stuff. They also help me unload the dishwasher and feed the pets. They carry the laundry soap down to the laundry room for hubs when he's doing the laundry lol.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
My 11 year old puts laundry away, empties the dishwasher, feeds the dog and helps with her brother. She is also expected to keep her room and the guest room clean.
Sometimes I will ask her to do other things, like dust and pick up in her brothers play room.

I make my 2 year old clean up his messes.
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, my kids are expected to do chores. My 5 year old is learning to put things away properly and not leave his things lying around. He puts his plate into the dishwasher after eating. Simple things like that. My 14 and 17 year olds help with all the chores. We all take turns cleaning the bathrooms, vacuuming, dusting, putting the dishes away, taking out the garbage, and so on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

We have the kids do chores but we don't believe in paying them for it.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM

They have an other duties as assign type chores. In other words, we assign work as it needs to be done.

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Neither do we. My kids don't get an allowance. Instead I let them earn things like trips to the dollar store,  or an outing at the zoo.  The catch is that they have to complete their assigned chores without being asked, or complaining for a month.  Some months it works and others it doesn't.  I also don't believe in paying kids with money for getting good grades in school. When my kids come home with excellent report cards, I will celebrate by making them a special dinner, where they get to pick what we eat. Usually its homemade pizza.  I will also take them up to the store and let them each pick a movie from Redbox to rent.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

We have the kids do chores but we don't believe in paying them for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured