Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you expect your kids to do house chores? If so, What and at what age?

Posted by   + Show Post

My kids do chores...we explain that it is part of being in a family.

Daily, my 8 yo empties the dishwasher, makes her bed, puts away her laundry feeds the dog dinner, helps walk the dog, dresses herself and is responsible for her daily hygiene. My 3yo feeds the dog breakfast, helps walk him, picks up her toys, brushes her teeth and dresses herself. Both of them help set and clear the table. They also help prepare and serve meals.

On Saturday mornings, we spend about 45 min as a family cleaning the whole house...anything that gets skipped during the week and other general stuff. My 3 yo and 8 yo sweep the house, and 8yo mops. She loves the swiffer.

When talking with my friends, it seems most kids my children's age do nothing, or a very small part of this...

Just wondering what goes on in other homes.

Naughty Wittle Puppy

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Replies (81-87):
lazyd
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I should make my kids do more.  Lots of the times its easier just for me to do it cuz i have OCD and nuthin is ever clean enough for me!  :)

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I expected my kids to cooperate at home.

I didn't expect them to do more than I was doing, nor did I think of any of the work in our home to be 'beneath' me, nor their responsibility. I also didn't expect them to live according to a more-structured schedule of chores than I was willing to, by which I mean 'imposed by someone else, to someone else's standards.'

Reepicheep.CSL
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM
My sons 6,7, 8 & 10 are responsible for cleaning their rooms, making their beds, stripping their beds once a week, putting dirty laundry into the laundry room, putting clean laundry away, putting dishes in the dish washer, dusting furniture and base boards, sweeping and vacuuming their rooms.
My 2 year old puts her clothes in the basket, cleans her toy and puts her dishes in the sink.
If they want to earn money they have to do more than that.
When my ds turns 12 he can start doing laundry too.
jlo1313
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I started mine with chores as soon as they started following me around wanting to "help mommy" clean and they are now 11 and 8 and they have things they know need to be done, things they are just expected to do without being told and on Saturday mornings, they know that when I wake up, the shit-storm of chores is going to begin and the sooner it is done, the sooner they can go back to doing what they please.

NiCo86
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Most definitely my boys, 11 and 3, have chores!

11 year old: AM: feed dogs, let dogs out, take out trash, get self ready for school. After School: Sweep Floors in Kitchen. do homework. PM: clear dinner table, feed dogs. Get self ready for bed (including showering). Saturday: Clean his bathroom. Sunday: Do his laundry.

3 year old: Throughout the day: pick up his messes (at least help), set the dinner table, feed the fish, clean his room before bed, help fold his laundry (he likes to match socks and fold his pants), help vacuum. Sometimes he feeds the dogs after dinner, and he knows how to put the dogs on their leads.

timeforprogress
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I have been using this list as a guide for my son. 

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM

My kids have chores and there is no allowance for doing them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)