Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why Is Pushing Creationism So Damn Important to Wingnuts?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is a title from an article which you can read if you click on the link:

Why Is Pushing Creationism So Damn Important to Wingnuts?

However I wanted to discuss the actual question.  Why is it so important for some to push Creationism and to deny Evolution?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Replies (441-450):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting DivingDiva:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

And evolution is a scientific theory. Not a fact. It has not been absolutly proven. And not all scientist agree with it.

Quoting parentalrights1:

And that's why religion needs to stay out of schools. People who will reject facts in favor of religion will have too much influence on our worlds future and its never going to I any further with people who flat out ignore facts trying to teach kids the same

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

My point is that everyone has the right to choose what they want to believe. And if they only teach one thing then they are takeing that choice away. And not even parents have the right to force their children to believe as they do. You should want your children to explore and choose for themselfs.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

I believe that evolution is bs.   And I have that right to my opinion.

Everyone has the right to hold an opinion.   However wrong or unfounded.

You don't have a right to have the opinion itself be shown respect, or even have others listen to it.

If you wish others to take your opinion seriously, then you need to more than just state it.   You need to produce evidence supporting your claims.

Do you have evidence that evolution is "bullshit" ?

bull·shit  (blsht) Vulgar Slang n.

false or ridiculous nonsense made up in an attempt to mislead or deceive

And now we find what the issue is.

You don't understand that public schools are not there to teach what people believe.

They are there to teach factual information.

Evolution, whether you believe in it or not, accept it or not, exists and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists on the planet.  That is why it is taught in public school science classrooms.

creationism and intelligent design are religious concepts that posit a higher unprovable creator.  Even your example of "maybe it was little green men from Mars" as the "intelligent designer" shows the problem with teaching such a concept in a public school science classroom.  You are positing a designer that you cannot prove or even know exists.

That's not science.

If you don't want your kids to learn science, homeschool them or private school them where they teach what you believe in.

You don't have the right to ask a public school to teach non-science in a science classroom where my child attends and is there to learn science only.

And you have the right to believe as you choose. I believe evolution is bs and creationism is real. And evolution is not fact. And again intelligent design is not religious. And I have the right to make sure my children get the best education they can even if they are going to a public school where your child goes. And to me that includes teaching all theories. And I will be homeschooling my children becuase public school are all crap and none of the teach enough of any subject. And I want better for my children than what I got.

Ridiculous.  It isn't up to you to decide what the public schools should teach based on your wants and whims.

It's not your either. And any parent has the right to make a case to any school board for thing they want in thier local schools. 

The same can be said for any scientific theory that exists.  Maybe we should just do away with science altogether and let other countries train the next generation of doctors and engineers. 

No we just need to teach all the possibilities and all the theories rather they are viewed by all as scientific or not.

No. We don't.

Because science is science and what you are speaking of is not. It isn't even universal. If YOU want it taught you have to do it yourself. It isn't your right to insist that everyone learn your what you've put your faith in.

Because it isn't science and it isn't universal.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:29 AM

500+ posts, quote trees galore, some brilliant educated women holding class

and still we have 

what we always have

imperviosity 

of religiosity

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:30 AM

It's sadly amusing isn't it?

Quoting Goodwoman614:

and still we have 

what we always have

imperviosity 

of religiosity

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:31 AM

because theyre stupid?

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Quoting cammibear:

You will never be able to explain where the information in DNA comes from. 

Of course we know how the information content of a species' gene pool can increase over time.

If you'll pick a single numeric calculable definition of the amount of information contained in a gene pool, and then stick with it, I'll be happy to explain it to you.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Goodwoman614:

and still we have 

what we always have

imperviosity 

of religiosity

Mostly just sad, to me.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I've learned to laugh at it. Otherwise I get too sad :(

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Goodwoman614:

and still we have 

what we always have

imperviosity 

of religiosity

Mostly just sad, to me.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Quoting cammibear:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting cammibear:

You assume evolution, and then use those assumptions to prove evolution. That's circular reasoning.

No.

Biologists started off by hypothesising evolution, then they made predictions based upon that, then they tested those predictions against reality.   It is the fact that reality successfully backed up those predictions by passing the tests that is the evidence.

Only if you assume millions of years

No.

Geologists started off by hypothesising an age of the Earth that is in the billions of years, then they made predictions based upon that, then they tested those predictions against reality.   It is the fact that reality successfully backed up those predictions by passing the tests that is the evidence.

You don't 'get' how science works, do you?

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Quoting cammibear:

You will never be able to explain knowledge and the ability to reason and think logically. Saying things like "we just haven't discovered it yet" is just arbitrary wishful thinking or better *gasp* blind faith.

Is that a firm predictions?

If I demonstrate to you how an ability to reason could evolve, will you consider creationism to have been falsified?

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Quoting cammibear:

And let me just say this again for those that missed it the first time. Using evidence for microevolution and saying it is evidence for macroevolution and then saying creationists deny evolution is blantantly dishonest.

29+ Evidences  for Macroevolution The Scientific Case for Common Descent

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN