Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Is Pushing Creationism So Damn Important to Wingnuts?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is a title from an article which you can read if you click on the link:

Why Is Pushing Creationism So Damn Important to Wingnuts?

However I wanted to discuss the actual question.  Why is it so important for some to push Creationism and to deny Evolution?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Replies (481-486):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM

clapping

I cannot believe you're forging through this unbelievably dense underbrush. You have more fortitude than I, ma'am!

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting cammibear:

What you assess as reliable or unreliable is based on your presuppositions. Why do you deny that?

The reliability of a process is objective not subjective.   You can stick a number on it, and different people can agree on the number.

Suppose you want to compare two methods of predicting which side will win a battle.

Method One - count the number of soldiers on each side, and predict the side with more soldiers will win

Method Two - look at the shape of the clouds, and search for cloud formation that look like symbols of victory near formations that look similar to the national symbols of one of the two sides in the battle

Take 10 groups, train them identically in how to use both methods, then set each group to predict the outcome of 10 different battles by each method (giving you 100 predictions in total, for each method).

After the battles are all over, count up how many predictions were correct, for each method.    There should be a fair degree of agreement, between all 10 of your trained groups, on how reliable each of the two methods is.

cammibear
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Lol I suppose I should be intimidated by all the snarky comments from you and others.

But I'm not. Nothing you say can undermine the rationality and consistency of my worldview. :)

Quoting LindaClement:

clapping

I cannot believe you're forging through this unbelievably dense underbrush. You have more fortitude than I, ma'am!

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting cammibear:

What you assess as reliable or unreliable is based on your presuppositions. Why do you deny that?

The reliability of a process is objective not subjective.   You can stick a number on it, and different people can agree on the number.

Suppose you want to compare two methods of predicting which side will win a battle.

Method One - count the number of soldiers on each side, and predict the side with more soldiers will win

Method Two - look at the shape of the clouds, and search for cloud formation that look like symbols of victory near formations that look similar to the national symbols of one of the two sides in the battle

Take 10 groups, train them identically in how to use both methods, then set each group to predict the outcome of 10 different battles by each method (giving you 100 predictions in total, for each method).

After the battles are all over, count up how many predictions were correct, for each method.    There should be a fair degree of agreement, between all 10 of your trained groups, on how reliable each of the two methods is.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
froggyfreak330
by Member on Sep. 9, 2015 at 5:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Evolution doesnt claim that life and the earth just appeared from nothing. It simply states that after life on earth came to be, it evolved. It does not delve into the origins of life in general. In other words, it doesnt disprove the existence of a god or intelligent design. Why is it not possible that God had a hand in our evolution? The planet is billions of years old, which could very well be 7 days to God. I was always taught in catholic school that the bible is to be taken figuratively, not literally.

Quoting cammibear: Actually my faith gets stronger as I see the evidence support what I know to be true. There is a certain amount of faith whether you believe in a creator God, or if you believe in something from nothing evolution.
Quoting Goodwoman614:

I think that, deep down, religionists know that their faith is flimsy. 

And getting weaker, faster as time marches on. 

The earth is not flat, nor the center of the universe. 

How many other things have come to pass as understood fact, oh but still with

resistance resistance resistance from organized hypnosis/fantasy/religion 

there will always be the small minded, the scared, the ignorant, 

but it's becoming harder and harder for them to cling to and insist

Insist!! That their unproven superstition, falsified foundations

of their faith should still hold sway, still hold any influence or

power in the public sphere, however waning

IMO a Catch-22, the product of ever-scarier new times:

advances in science and understandings across spectra technological 

means ever more frightfulness of challenge to cling cling cling 

to that fantastical story, that sage herder of sheep

whew! & it's such a relief!!! Now I won't have to look

i won't have to see/wonder....question....th-th-think -

Nooooooo! My faith! My faith is my comfort!

i will not be swayed! 

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 9, 2015 at 5:38 PM
Both have very little evidence.

Quoting cammibear: Wrong. Evolution has zero evidence for origins. It takes way more faith to believe in evolution theories than creation theories, especially when laws of nature point to creation. But keep trying to explain away God.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting cammibear:Maybe because evolution is so dang important to stupid leftwing Marxists...

It is and should be important because unlike creationism, there is science to back it up but I see the religious like to ignore fact for fantasy because it's just easier to write 'god' in the blank and call it a day.

froggyfreak330
by Member on Sep. 9, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Im not religious but had a thought regarding intelligent design.

If humans(who, as far as I know, consider themselves "intelligent") "designed" dogs through thousands of years of selective breeding, would that be considered intelligent design through evolution? Dogs did evolve from wolves. lol Im sorry, I just had to. :)

Quoting TCgirlatheart: OMG! "Dirty" should "deity". Darn auto-correct! Sorry! The very fact that they are taught the same way, does, in fact, indicate that the ID is supposed to be a deity. It is disingenuous to claim it does not.
Quoting ambermario4ever:

And as I said they may be taught the same way. But intelligent design is still not religious. 

Quoting TCgirlatheart:I see you're skipping the part where they just change the verbiage. Changing verbiage, doesn't make it less about a dirty. It certainly doesn't make it scientific.
Quoting ambermario4ever:

They may be taught the same way but creationism says specifically that God created the world and people therefore it is religious. But intelligent design it just says there is a creator of higher intelligence and is not in any way religious. 

Quoting TCgirlatheart:Intelligent design is Creationism with a different name. There was a case in Pennsylvania where they found that the ID books were identical to the former Creationism books, except that the word "creator" was replaced with "designer". I'm on mobile at the moment. I will look it up as soon as I can though.
Quoting ambermario4ever:

They can teach intelligent design which has nothing to do with religion but they don't.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:You can teach whatever you want in your home. Public schools can not teach religion, and certainly not As science.
Quoting ambermario4ever:

Oh I know I have had this talk with people on here before and I am used to being attacked for my beliefs. But the thing is evolution is not a fact only a scientific theory. We can't afford private school and we are not happy with the job the public school has done this year with our daughter so next year I will be homeschooling and I will be teaching my children about both.

Quoting littlesippycup:

Shhh...you should keep that a secret. Everyone is about to attack you for thinking we might have more well rounded people if we covered a variety of beliefs and the basis for them in a factual manner. Ya know since it's not a fact and evolution is. I think that's silly. That doesn't keep people from believing in something. Maybe people would be more excepting if they learned tolerance for others beliefs. That's generally taught. I see schools offer plenty of useless topics....Just throwing that out there.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting littlesippycup:

Why can't we just teach it all? It could be a semester class that briefly covers everything in a factual manner.

I wish they would teach it all.

LGA1165
by on Sep. 9, 2015 at 11:58 PM
Well said !
Thank you đŸ˜‰

Quoting froggyfreak330:

Evolution doesnt claim that life and the earth just appeared from nothing. It simply states that after life on earth came to be, it evolved. It does not delve into the origins of life in general. In other words, it doesnt disprove the existence of a god or intelligent design. Why is it not possible that God had a hand in our evolution? The planet is billions of years old, which could very well be 7 days to God. I was always taught in catholic school that the bible is to be taken figuratively, not literally.

Quoting cammibear: Actually my faith gets stronger as I see the evidence support what I know to be true. There is a certain amount of faith whether you believe in a creator God, or if you believe in something from nothing evolution.
Quoting Goodwoman614:

I think that, deep down, religionists know that their faith is flimsy. 

And getting weaker, faster as time marches on. 

The earth is not flat, nor the center of the universe. 

How many other things have come to pass as understood fact, oh but still with

resistance resistance resistance from organized hypnosis/fantasy/religion 

there will always be the small minded, the scared, the ignorant, 

but it's becoming harder and harder for them to cling to and insist

Insist!! That their unproven superstition, falsified foundations

of their faith should still hold sway, still hold any influence or

power in the public sphere, however waning

IMO a Catch-22, the product of ever-scarier new times:

advances in science and understandings across spectra technological 

means ever more frightfulness of challenge to cling cling cling 

to that fantastical story, that sage herder of sheep

whew! & it's such a relief!!! Now I won't have to look

i won't have to see/wonder....question....th-th-think -

Nooooooo! My faith! My faith is my comfort!

i will not be swayed! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN