Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

OT-bucket lists

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

After learning I have epilepsy (This past Monday) and if anyone rememebers I posted the fangirl post hehe...I also started a bucket list. It isn't a super extravagate list. But it is some things that I feel I should do before I kick it. One of the things was writing a fan letter to someone I admire. I did it. I wrote my fan girl crush a letter HA. OMG was I a wreck at the post office. My friend was really supportive. My letter was not creapy thank god. My specific bullet point on the bucket list was to tell someone you admire that you do and why you do. So I wrote a letter complimenting him on his work and why I liked his work and specifically what works and why (kept it one page). 

I felt like a giddy kid. And of course the dang post office guy just happend to know who this was and was like I'm excited for the new star trek movie...ug. But I feel pretty good about. 29 years old I finally wrote a fan letter. HA! Maybe I'll get an autograph...

Anyone ever done this?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Can't say I have, but kudos for doing it.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM

LOL! Thats fun, the last time I wrote a fan letter I was in 5th grade and it was to Michael Jordan, LOL!

BTW, my son has epilepsy. It's a tough road at times. We are fundraising for a seizure response dog :)

pittawadda
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
It was fun! I was giddy but happy. I feel like he is about to become wry popular so I am happy I got to say how good he is before he is very well known. And I was complimenting work that wasn't well known especially in America.

I am fortunate I haven't had a tonic clonic(sp?) yet. I discovered it early enough I think. The goal is to get it controlled before I have one. I have tle and get simple to partial complex seizures.

Quoting Mipsy:

LOL! Thats fun, the last time I wrote a fan letter I was in 5th grade and it was to Michael Jordan, LOL!

BTW, my son has epilepsy. It's a tough road at times. We are fundraising for a seizure response dog :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I wrote to Kevin Zegers years ago. I got a signed picture back.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM

You will have to update if he writes you back!

My sons are tonic cloncs and absenc seziures, he used to have complex partials but we haven't seen one of those in a couple years now.

Quoting pittawadda:

It was fun! I was giddy but happy. I feel like he is about to become wry popular so I am happy I got to say how good he is before he is very well known. And I was complimenting work that wasn't well known especially in America.

I am fortunate I haven't had a tonic clonic(sp?) yet. I discovered it early enough I think. The goal is to get it controlled before I have one. I have tle and get simple to partial complex seizures.

Quoting Mipsy:

Saphira1207
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I wrote to George Clooney and Matthew Perry.  Never got a response but I didn't care. :)

And I used to have epilepsy.  Mine was caused by a brain tumor.  Once that was removed I stopped having seizures.  It's been 28 years since my last seizure.  I have to have MRI's now and then to be sure the cyst in my brain isn't doing anything funky, but otherwise it's all good.

What I'm trying to say with that is :  You can have a life and have seizures.  It was much, much worse back then.  You were on drugs that really doped you up and they didn't always work like they were supposed to.  And the tests!  ugh, they were aweful.

It was really hard being an epileptic in an era of massive misunderstanding.  At least now when you tell people you are an epileptic they won't look at you like you're possessed by the devil.  Literally, people looked at me like that and wouldn't have anything to do with me.  Back then, epileptics were ostracized.  Now you're more mainstream.  And the drugs to control it have a come a long way.

:D  Good luck!

pittawadda
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM
I *think mine is from a 10yr old head injury. However it's too hard too say.
I'm not at the right dose yet so I have to wait and see. We shall see in 3 months! It's weird sometimes as I talk to people when I'm like oh sorry I just had a seizure and they look at me weird bc I wasn't convulsing. People usually think of convulsing.

Quoting Saphira1207:

I wrote to George Clooney and Matthew Perry.  Never got a response but I didn't care. :)

And I used to have epilepsy.  Mine was caused by a brain tumor.  Once that was removed I stopped having seizures.  It's been 28 years since my last seizure.  I have to have MRI's now and then to be sure the cyst in my brain isn't doing anything funky, but otherwise it's all good.

What I'm trying to say with that is :  You can have a life and have seizures.  It was much, much worse back then.  You were on drugs that really doped you up and they didn't always work like they were supposed to.  And the tests!  ugh, they were aweful.

It was really hard being an epileptic in an era of massive misunderstanding.  At least now when you tell people you are an epileptic they won't look at you like you're possessed by the devil.  Literally, people looked at me like that and wouldn't have anything to do with me.  Back then, epileptics were ostracized.  Now you're more mainstream.  And the drugs to control it have a come a long way.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I wrote on Liam Neesons wall lol.

pittawadda
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Haha, yeah this guy doesn't have FB or twitter or anything! So I wrote a 1 page handwritten letter. I didn't leave any contact info, but I did include a self addressed 8x10 envelope. I did say stamped then realized that since it was going to the UK, I was like der, they use a different mail system so I can't stamp it. Ug..then I realized I was putting a lot of thought into it and started to feel crazy....

But I did it and felt better after it was done.

I still have the customs form reciept as a little scrapbook token or something...

Quoting survivorinohio:

I wrote on Liam Neesons wall lol.

Saphira1207
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Yeah, they do.  Petit mal seizures are not nearly as well known as grand mal, but they can be just as devastating in the right (wrong?) circumstances.  they're harder to see when someone is having one and they tend to make people think you're just zoning out.  I had my son checked for them when he told me he was blacking out at home and school.  Nothing showed up on the eeg but I still wonder.

ADD can look a lot like petit mal seizures so I'm wondering how much of that is what's really wrong with kids.  I knew to check him because of my own experiences, but what about all the other kids who do the same things and whose parents & doctors don't think to check that?

Quoting pittawadda:

I *think mine is from a 10yr old head injury. However it's too hard too say.
I'm not at the right dose yet so I have to wait and see. We shall see in 3 months! It's weird sometimes as I talk to people when I'm like oh sorry I just had a seizure and they look at me weird bc I wasn't convulsing. People usually think of convulsing.

Quoting Saphira1207:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN