Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Metro derailed by culture of complacence, incompetence, lack of diversity

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM
  • 123 Replies

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/26/metro-derailed-by-culture-of-complacence-incompete/?page=4

Ninety-seven percent of the bus and train operators at the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority are black, with only six white women out of more than 3,000 drivers, according to Metro documents - a lack of diversity at one of the region's largest employers that has led to an acknowledgment of failure in affirmative-action documents and spawned a series of lawsuits...

Click the link to read it in full, here are some poignant and eye opening excerpts:

"Of a dozen senior supervisors overseeing the rail division in 2007, 10 were black and two were white, and five black supervisors, all with less than a year of tenure in the position, were paid more than both whites, who had more seniority - one with 20 years - personnel records obtained by The Times show."

"
Dozens said white workers, especially women, were openly subject to racist and sexist remarks without repercussion - behavior that drove many targets to seek transfers or leave the agency. All said they have been inexplicably passed over hundreds of times for promotions to positions such as station manager while others with less seniority passed them by.

"I was the only white woman in car maintenance out of 338, and they made my life miserable," Ms. Whorton said, adding that colleagues once electrified a track circuit on which she was working and laughed. "Nothing happened to them."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a spin-off for those who claimed, in THIS post, that the instances of white people being passed over in employment positions, because they are white, just doesn't happen. Clearly, it does.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM

"Union leaders sometimes invoke racial language, including Mrs. Jeter, who heads the $20 million union with her husband, Roland Jeter, second in command. Graphics on the union’s website have depicted her in her role as union president alongside photos of civil rights leaders Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X.

A flier circulated as Mrs. Jeter was running for election claimed she worried that “too many whites might end up in charge. She also told me she was sick and tired of hearing about the Latino Caucus.”

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Incredible that this interests no one.

Most HERE probably think "well poor white people not getting jobs, about time!"

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
3 moms liked this
It is interesting to me that there is reverse racism & discrimination there, &, of course, disappointing, as racism always is. However, it is also very saddening to me that after all these years this is the career to which so many African-Americans aspire. I would have hoped for something requiring much more advanced education by now. Perhaps this is indicative of traditional racism & discrimination as well?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IntactivistMama
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Hiring based on skin colour is stupid. Passing someone over for the same reason is equally stupid.
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM

bump

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Not at all here. And that is a ridiculous assumption! I read it as soon as I saw it.

Quoting Radarma:

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM
3 moms liked this

Not too many care about whites being passed over.  There  is that white priviledge going on.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Not so ridiculous when you realize how much this board, as a whole, cares when a minority is being oppressed.

Not so ridiculous at all.

**shrugs**

Quoting Bookwormy:

Not at all here. And that is a ridiculous assumption! I read it as soon as I saw it.

Quoting Radarma:

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Quoting Bookwormy:

It is interesting to me that there is reverse racism & discrimination there, &, of course, disappointing, as racism always is. However, it is also very saddening to me that after all these years this is the career to which so many African-Americans aspire. I would have hoped for something requiring much more advanced education by now. Perhaps this is indicative of traditional racism & discrimination as well?

It's because the deck is stacked against them, of course. :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN