Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

PLEASE NOTE:

MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24.com. The stories here come from users.

Hanjo

Comments: 822
Article views: 12837

Latest Badges:

View all Hanjo's badges.

What if God was the evil one?

25 October 2012, 08:38

Firstly, I can’t take any credit for the writing you see below. I received a link on Facebook to this piece, which was originally a ‘Facebook note’ written by an American. (so excuse the references to American situations)  I got in contact with the author and received his consent to share it on MyNews24. 

I share this article mainly because I found it to be a very enjoyable and thought provoking read, I also agree with the author’s views completely and feel this is an interesting angle on the usual ‘theist vs atheist’ debate.

So Enjoy.

How does anybody know God is more moral than Satan? If it’s because the bible says so, then that is arbitrary and followers of the bible are basically just listening to God saying “I’m the good one, follow me.” If it’s due to observing actions and judging god’s actions to be better, then can’t we just use those standards to judge our actions, making god unnecessary? Besides, Satan hasn't even bothered authoring a book and telling his side of the story.

What if God was actually the evil one and Satan was in fact good? After all, God is responsible for 250 million deaths, while Satan is responsible for only 10, all of which God commanded of him. If something bad happens like an earthquake or a Tsunami, we tend to call it 'an act of god' not an 'act of the devil'. Why?

Read the rest here

Photo: What do you think about this? I think it's beautiful.
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Replies (111-119):
Redwall
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM
OMG! This is a joke, right?
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Nope.

Quoting Redwall:

OMG! This is a joke, right?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Peanutx3:

You know what struck me the other day?  I realized that God is not infallible.  If you subscribe to the idea that God created us and we have a sinful nature then we are not perfect correct?  This leads to God creating something that is not perfect therefore he is not infallible.

How are you defining infallible?  God creating humans with the ability to make choices doesn't make God not infallible.  

God created us with a sinful nature.  Why would this have been his intention when he created us?  I see making us with a sinful nature as a mistake on God's part.

in·fal·li·ble  

/inˈfaləbəl/
Adjective
  1. Incapable of making mistakes or being wrong.
  2. Never failing; always effective: "infallible cures".

How are you determining he created us WITH a sinful nature as opposed to WITH the free will to choose sin?  Sin is defined as not following Gods will.

I define sin as:

sin  

/sin/
Noun
An immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.

I don't see sin as defined as not following Gods will but going against his law.  I see God's will and God's law as two different things.  You can choose to go against God's will without necesarrily sinning.  God's will for you could be for you to go into missions but you choose not to.  This doesn't equal sin in my eyes this equals free will. 

So how are you defining God's will?

I define God's will as his plan for us.  God's law would be the 10 commandments.

I'm just guessing his plan for us would be to follow his laws....

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MomTiara19:

I practiced witch craft in my 20s.Lets just say....I ran for my life to God.There is a God...and evil belongs to Satan.

o.O

and I practiced Christianity in my teens.. I ran far away from that.. for my life.

TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Okay -I'm just SHOCKED that google is wrong.  That never happens.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I promise you Alanis didn't sing that song. She did do a naked video but it was for the song Thank You.

Quoting TerriAnne2606:

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it was Alanis Morriset (I'm going spell her name differently each time - this way I'll eventually get it correct)?

Actually - I googled and although I don't think I've ever head of Joan Osborne, it came up first.  But, I clearely remember Morriset singing in back in the late 80's or early 90's - wasn't that the naked video?  only her hair covering her?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

That wasn't Alanis, it was Joan Osborne.

Quoting TerriAnne2606:

I'm sorry - I can even read this - I keep hearing Alison Morriset in my head "what if God was one of us..." :)

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Google isn't wrong. It is Joan Osborne. You said she was the first person who came up. This song came out in 1995, I was a senior in high school. It even has it's own Wiki page. 

Quoting TerriAnne2606:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I promise you Alanis didn't sing that song. She did do a naked video but it was for the song Thank You.

Quoting TerriAnne2606:

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it was Alanis Morriset (I'm going spell her name differently each time - this way I'll eventually get it correct)?

Actually - I googled and although I don't think I've ever head of Joan Osborne, it came up first.  But, I clearely remember Morriset singing in back in the late 80's or early 90's - wasn't that the naked video?  only her hair covering her?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting TerriAnne2606:

I'm sorry - I can even read this - I keep hearing Alison Morriset in my head "what if God was one of us..." :)

TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Yes, but there are MANY, MANY, MANY more links to Alanis Morissette singing the song, you tube, lyrics, etc.  I was being fasceious.  That doens't seem to come across in writing for some reason.  

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Google isn't wrong. It is Joan Osborne. You said she was the first person who came up. This song came out in 1995, I was a senior in high school. It even has it's own Wiki page. 

Quoting TerriAnne2606:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting TerriAnne2606:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting TerriAnne2606:

lancet98
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM

In Gnosticism, the God who created the world is flawed, and created a flawed world.  

And in a sense, there are two gods.

If it were possible to generalize, it might be said that the basic idea of Gnosticism is to find the higher God that is not flawed.

In some religions there isn't this sharp dichotomy between good and evil, but at the same time, those religions don't condone evil acts in humans.

I

religions that have a devil that opposses god, there is definitely a very sharp dichotomy between good and evil, and that is NOT just about 'making a good story'.   There's a very strong desire in some cultures for a good and evil.

In Hinduism, the various gods that relate closely to people, like Krishna, Kali, etc, are flawed but they aren't actually viewed as flawed.   Their foibles are a part of what makes them love-able and someone people can relate to.   Krishna, for example, stole butter when he was a baby, and while stealing is not condoned, with Krishna it was a part of childhood innocense.   That Krishna urged Arjun to war, was chiefly a lesson in fulfilling one's duty in life as a primary responsibility.   Krishna isn't considered to be 'bad' because of that.  Kali is shown decked out in bloody skulls, but is not a murderer, but a powerful foe of God's enemies.

The higher god, that does not have a personality or traits or characteristics, is beyond the dinstiction between good and evil, creating and destroying and recreating the universe isn't seen as evil but rather necessary and inevitable; this god exists on a much higher level, and is more of an infinite energy.

Redwall
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM

When my grandpa died, I was just devastated.  I asked a friend who happened to be a Seventh Day Adventist and she said, "People die.  That just the way life works.  People are born and then they die.  It has nothing to do with God.  God gave us free will.  How we deal with it us up to us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN