Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for info/opinions

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 36 Replies

I'm not sure if this is really the right group for this post or not but....... do any of you ladies personally know any physicians assistants or nurse practitioners? I want to return to school and both occupations are very similar so I am conflicted as to which to pursue. If I go the way of PA, I don't think I can work while schooling. If I go nursing, I can work while I get my MSN but then I have to work a few years for experience before returning to earn my NP degree. So I'm hoping some of you might have info/opinions on either career that I can use to help weigh my decision.  

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM

What is your background, education and what do you do for a living now?

How old are you?... that will make a difference in terms of schooling, costs and return based on the # of years you will work post education-

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Paramedic with CFD for 20 years, BS in biology/secondary ed. Just turned 45. If I go for PA, 18 months straight thru. Probably can't work during tho. Accelerated MSN is about 15 months, great deal of it online so I could teach next year and bring in some $. BUT then I would have to work a year or two before starting school for NP. I worry about income while in school. And job availability. Not sure how the two compare for that. 

Quoting Sisteract:

How old are you?... that will make a difference in terms of schooling, costs and return based on the # of years you will work post education-

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:24 AM

How would you survive if you could not work during PA education? I would probably go that route. Your age will work against you if you need to work as a nurse before entering a NP program.

I have been looking for a new job for about 2 years, and am about 10 years older than you, few places want to take on an over 50 year old clinical nurse. I was very lucky and just landed a great new PT position, but it's in a facility where I previously worked for 20 years, and am well known to the unit manager...I am going home :)

Quoting fireangel5:

Paramedic with CFD for 20 years, BS in biology/secondary ed. Just turned 45. If I go for PA, 18 months straight thru. Probably can't work during tho. Accelerated MSN is about 15 months, great deal of it online so I could teach next year and bring in some $. BUT then I would have to work a year or two before starting school for NP. I worry about income while in school. And job availability. Not sure how the two compare for that. 

Quoting Sisteract:

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I'd sell my house and move in with my parents if need be, tap my deferred comp and work weekends and a few nites a week teaching CPR , PALS and ACLS. The boys will both be in college so no Catholic schoo tuittion any more. I know places like CVS and those minute clinic type places hire NPs and St Xavier clinic for the community is all NPs. Thinking NPs and PA are gonna be a bigger force in medicine in the future 

Quoting Sisteract:

How would you survive if you could not work during PA education? I would probably go that route. Your age will work against you if you need to work as a nurse before entering a NP program.

I have been looking for a new job for about 2 years, and am about 10 years older than you, few places want to take on an over 50 year old clinical nurse. I was very lucky and just landed a great new PT position, but it's in a facility where I previously worked for 20 years, and am well known to the unit manager...I am going home :)

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting Sisteract:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I agree.

My mom would rather see the NP- she thinks she is more thorough and open-minded than the MD. I am far more familiar with CNSs, as I have worked with many in my near 35 year career-

PA is kinda the new kid on the block. We have no PAs or NPs in our unit.

Quoting fireangel5:

I'd sell my house and move in with my parents if need be, tap my deferred comp and work weekends and a few nites a week teaching CPR , PALS and ACLS. The boys will both be in college so no Catholic schoo tuittion any more. I know places like CVS and those minute clinic type places hire NPs and St Xavier clinic for the community is all NPs. Thinking NPs and PA are gonna be a bigger force in medicine in the future 

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting Sisteract:

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

My OB/GYN has a NP that I request to see over the MD also. I think both PA and NP do the same thing with slightly different approaches. My surgical oncologist has a PA that I see and I really like her. She told me she had 4 job offers before she was even done with school. 

Quoting Sisteract:

I agree.

My mom would rather see the NP- she thinks she is more thorough and open-minded than the MD. I am far more familiar with CNSs, as I have worked with many in my near 35 year career-

PA is kinda the new kid on the block. We have no PAs or NPs in our unit.

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting Sisteract:

timeforprogress
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM
My MIL is an NP. She graduated when she was 52.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Only nurses get into NP school so you would have to go to nursing school then apply for NP school. In the next couple of years, there will no longer be an NP only DNP. NP have more attonomy, can write scripts and do not have to be under the supervision of a Dr. PA on the other hand, must be under a Dr. Anyone with a science bacjkground can apply to PA school. Both programs are extremely competitive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I was looking into the accelerated MSN program here. As long as I have a bachelors degee, I can enter that program then work a year or two before entering the NP program. I am completely unfamiliar with DNP. Same type of program? I was leaning toward the NP program due to the fact that they have more autonomy, even tho both occupations do similar things. I think I would like the nursing approach better, I was just concerned about the amount of time for me to reach that goal :-/

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Only nurses get into NP school so you would have to go to nursing school then apply for NP school. In the next couple of years, there will no longer be an NP only DNP. NP have more attonomy, can write scripts and do not have to be under the supervision of a Dr. PA on the other hand, must be under a Dr. Anyone with a science bacjkground can apply to PA school. Both programs are extremely competitive.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I like hearing stories like this. I currently teach HS science after years on the ambulance but to be honest, I prefer medicine. And I really like having that medical knowledge. My kids will be gone next year and it will just be me here at home so I'm looking to not only change careers but occupy my time and mind lol. First time in over 20 years that I will be home alone day after day :-/

Quoting timeforprogress:

My MIL is an NP. She graduated when she was 52.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured