Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I'm not sure if this is really the right group for this post or not but....... do any of you ladies personally know any physicians assistants or nurse practitioners? I want to return to school and both occupations are very similar so I am conflicted as to which to pursue. If I go the way of PA, I don't think I can work while schooling. If I go nursing, I can work while I get my MSN but then I have to work a few years for experience before returning to earn my NP degree. So I'm hoping some of you might have info/opinions on either career that I can use to help weigh my decision.  

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM
DNP is a doctorate of nursing practice. It is replacing the NP program. My DH is an NP working towards DNP.

It does take a lot of time but it also goes by so fast. You really get to pick your job when you graduate. The health field wants more PAs and NP, they are cheaper and can do so much.

Quoting fireangel5:

I was looking into the accelerated MSN program here. As long as I have a bachelors degee, I can enter that program then work a year or two before entering the NP program. I am completely unfamiliar with DNP. Same type of program? I was leaning toward the NP program due to the fact that they have more autonomy, even tho both occupations do similar things. I think I would like the nursing approach better, I was just concerned about the amount of time for me to reach that goal :-/

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Only nurses get into NP school so you would have to go to nursing school then apply for NP school. In the next couple of years, there will no longer be an NP only DNP. NP have more attonomy, can write scripts and do not have to be under the supervision of a Dr. PA on the other hand, must be under a Dr. Anyone with a science bacjkground can apply to PA school. Both programs are extremely competitive.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM

So is that like another 2 years or so to receive his DNP? I definitely think NPs and PAs are the future of medicine. NPs are in the CVS minute clinics, doctors offices, etc. The university near me has a clinic not only for the college kids but also the surrounding community. It is staffed completely by NPs. I've taken my sons there for school/sports physicals, minor illnesses/injuries etc.  

I really like the idea of being able to work while starting my MSN, makes life a little easier. 

Quoting illegallyblonde:

DNP is a doctorate of nursing practice. It is replacing the NP program. My DH is an NP working towards DNP.

It does take a lot of time but it also goes by so fast. You really get to pick your job when you graduate. The health field wants more PAs and NP, they are cheaper and can do so much.

Quoting fireangel5:

I was looking into the accelerated MSN program here. As long as I have a bachelors degee, I can enter that program then work a year or two before entering the NP program. I am completely unfamiliar with DNP. Same type of program? I was leaning toward the NP program due to the fact that they have more autonomy, even tho both occupations do similar things. I think I would like the nursing approach better, I was just concerned about the amount of time for me to reach that goal :-/

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Only nurses get into NP school so you would have to go to nursing school then apply for NP school. In the next couple of years, there will no longer be an NP only DNP. NP have more attonomy, can write scripts and do not have to be under the supervision of a Dr. PA on the other hand, must be under a Dr. Anyone with a science bacjkground can apply to PA school. Both programs are extremely competitive.

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Yes.

Quoting fireangel5:

So is that like another 2 years or so to receive his DNP? I definitely think NPs and PAs are the future of medicine. NPs are in the CVS minute clinics, doctors offices, etc. The university near me has a clinic not only for the college kids but also the surrounding community. It is staffed completely by NPs. I've taken my sons there for school/sports physicals, minor illnesses/injuries etc.  

I really like the idea of being able to work while starting my MSN, makes life a little easier. 

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I have no real input---we are friends with our pediatrician and his wife, also a pediatrician.  She left practice to focus on the kids after a younger was born to them a little later in life.  Long hard hours...she felt it best to be a mom. 

I have several nurse friends---again a lot of schooling and hard work. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM

bump

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I actually enjoy school and I don't mind hard work. I wish I had gone the nursing route rather than teaching when I went back to school after my cancer treatments. I don't want to make the wrong choice again. 

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I have no real input---we are friends with our pediatrician and his wife, also a pediatrician.  She left practice to focus on the kids after a younger was born to them a little later in life.  Long hard hours...she felt it best to be a mom. 

I have several nurse friends---again a lot of schooling and hard work. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Interestion question.

I have no idea.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

My only real confusion is how much time do I want before I become what I want to grow up and be lol and working while in school. I've become used to a salary lol

Quoting LindaClement:

Interestion question.

I have no idea.

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I know both. Personally I'd go the NP route.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I think it depends more on what it is you actually want to DO... maybe a job shadow for a week in each will clarify it.

No point in taking the short trip through school to get a job you dislike intensely...

Quoting fireangel5:

My only real confusion is how much time do I want before I become what I want to grow up and be lol and working while in school. I've become used to a salary lol

Quoting LindaClement:

Interestion question.

I have no idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN