Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I'm not sure if this is really the right group for this post or not but....... do any of you ladies personally know any physicians assistants or nurse practitioners? I want to return to school and both occupations are very similar so I am conflicted as to which to pursue. If I go the way of PA, I don't think I can work while schooling. If I go nursing, I can work while I get my MSN but then I have to work a few years for experience before returning to earn my NP degree. So I'm hoping some of you might have info/opinions on either career that I can use to help weigh my decision.  

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM
My spervisor (respiratory therapy department) is also a RN working in the ICU to get in her experience. She plans on continuing to work while in NP school.

Quoting fireangel5:

My only real confusion is how much time do I want before I become what I want to grow up and be lol and working while in school. I've become used to a salary lol

Quoting LindaClement:

Interestion question.

I have no idea.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I have a few friends that are PA's and NP's but I am clueless on what all the rules are.. Sorry

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I don't know any PA's personally except at my Dr.s office and I won't be there for awhile :-/

Quoting pamelax3:

I have a few friends that are PA's and NP's but I am clueless on what all the rules are.. Sorry

LilrockerMama
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM
I'd rather be a PA than NP. PA have more of variety I guess. If you want to do ER for a few years then go to oncology you can and you don't have to go back to school like you would for NP.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM

How come? Methodology? Training?

Quoting Stephanie329:

I know both. Personally I'd go the NP route.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Exactly!! I was conflicted before as to whether to pursue nursing or teaching HS science. I chose teaching and I kick myself almost daily. 

Quoting LindaClement:

I think it depends more on what it is you actually want to DO... maybe a job shadow for a week in each will clarify it.

No point in taking the short trip through school to get a job you dislike intensely...

Quoting fireangel5:

My only real confusion is how much time do I want before I become what I want to grow up and be lol and working while in school. I've become used to a salary lol

Quoting LindaClement:

Interestion question.

I have no idea.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Really? So you are trained more as a generalist who can move from department to department? 

Quoting LilrockerMama:

I'd rather be a PA than NP. PA have more of variety I guess. If you want to do ER for a few years then go to oncology you can and you don't have to go back to school like you would for NP.

LilrockerMama
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Yes

Quoting fireangel5:

Really? So you are trained more as a generalist who can move from department to department? 

Quoting LilrockerMama:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Toadstoolmama
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM
I want to go for PA.

I'm a medical laboratory scientist right now. I want more patient contact. PAs can do anything a doctor can, but they work under the supervision of a MD.

We have a few PAs at the hospital I work at. One works in the ER. The other that I know of works in the NICU. I am going to job shadow one of them to make sure it is really what I want.

I'm still debating on if I should go to med school.

Decisions decisions. Luckily I'm only 23 so I've got some time to think about it!

I still need a few prerequisites for either choice either way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

You have loads of time. I'm 45 so time is ticking lol. I wanted to go to med school when I was your age. If you can afford it, think about med school. If $/loans is a consideration, go PA, You can be working in 2 years :)

Quoting Toadstoolmama:

I want to go for PA.

I'm a medical laboratory scientist right now. I want more patient contact. PAs can do anything a doctor can, but they work under the supervision of a MD.

We have a few PAs at the hospital I work at. One works in the ER. The other that I know of works in the NICU. I am going to job shadow one of them to make sure it is really what I want.

I'm still debating on if I should go to med school.

Decisions decisions. Luckily I'm only 23 so I've got some time to think about it!

I still need a few prerequisites for either choice either way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)