Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not sure if this is really the right group for this post or not but....... do any of you ladies personally know any physicians assistants or nurse practitioners? I want to return to school and both occupations are very similar so I am conflicted as to which to pursue. If I go the way of PA, I don't think I can work while schooling. If I go nursing, I can work while I get my MSN but then I have to work a few years for experience before returning to earn my NP degree. So I'm hoping some of you might have info/opinions on either career that I can use to help weigh my decision.  

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Replies (31-36):
LindaClement
by Linda on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM

That sucks!

Quoting fireangel5:

Exactly!! I was conflicted before as to whether to pursue nursing or teaching HS science. I chose teaching and I kick myself almost daily. 

Quoting LindaClement:

I think it depends more on what it is you actually want to DO... maybe a job shadow for a week in each will clarify it.

No point in taking the short trip through school to get a job you dislike intensely...

Quoting fireangel5:

My only real confusion is how much time do I want before I become what I want to grow up and be lol and working while in school. I've become used to a salary lol

Quoting LindaClement:

Interestion question.

I have no idea.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Quoting fireangel5:

I actually enjoy school and I don't mind hard work. I wish I had gone the nursing route rather than teaching when I went back to school after my cancer treatments. I don't want to make the wrong choice again. 

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I have no real input---we are friends with our pediatrician and his wife, also a pediatrician.  She left practice to focus on the kids after a younger was born to them a little later in life.  Long hard hours...she felt it best to be a mom. 

I have several nurse friends---again a lot of schooling and hard work. 

Sounds like you're ready to fly!  :)
Good luck with your new venture. 

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:41 PM
I work with both. Np's are basically their own boss, PA, unless they get a really good doc, is the physician's bitch, albeit, a highly paid one :)

Quoting fireangel5:

How come? Methodology? Training?

Quoting Stephanie329:

I know both. Personally I'd go the NP route.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM

After all of that time on the ambo and several years in the classroom, I'm kinda used to working on my own so maybe NP is the way to go. Plus another poster commented that they are pushing for DNPs now, my oldest is going to Pharm school, youngest is going pre med, we could all be Dr. lol. Not too shabby for a single mom :)

Quoting Stephanie329:

I work with both. Np's are basically their own boss, PA, unless they get a really good doc, is the physician's bitch, albeit, a highly paid one :)

Quoting fireangel5:

How come? Methodology? Training?

Quoting Stephanie329:

I know both. Personally I'd go the NP route.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I always forget to ask you - who is that very pretty boy in your avi?

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Jared Padalecki from Supernatural. He is very very nice to look at!!

Quoting LauraKW:

I always forget to ask you - who is that very pretty boy in your avi?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured