Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Thousands Join Pro-gun Rallies in State Capitals

Posted by   + Show Post

Thousands of gun advocates gathered peacefully Saturday at state capitals around the U.S. to rally against stricter limits on firearms, with demonstrators carrying rifles and pistols in some places while those elsewhere settled for waving hand-scrawled signs or screaming themselves hoarse.

The size of crowds at each location varied - from dozens of people in South Dakota to 2,000 in New York. Large crowds also turned out in Connecticut, Tennessee and Texas. Some demonstrators in Phoenix and Salem, Ore., came with holstered handguns or rifles on their backs. At the Kentucky Capitol in Frankfort, attendees gave a special round of applause for "the ladies that are packin'."

Activists promoted the "Guns Across America" rallies primarily through social media. They were being held just after President Barack Obama unveiled a sweeping package of federal gun-control proposals.

The crowd swelled to more than 800 amid balmy temperatures on the steps of the pink-hued Capitol in Austin, where speakers took the microphone under a giant Texas flag with "Independent" stamped across it. Homemade placards read "An Armed Society is a Polite Society," "The Second Amendment Comes from God" and "Hey King O., I'm keeping my guns and my religion."

"The thing that so angers me, and I think so angers you, is that this president is using children as a human shield to advance a very liberal agenda that will do nothing to protect them," said state Rep. Steve Toth, referencing last month's elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn.

Toth, a first-term Republican lawmaker from The Woodlands outside Houston, has introduced legislation banning within Texas any future federal limits on assault weapons or high-capacity magazines, though such a measure would violate the U.S. Constitution.

Rallies at statehouses nationwide were organized by Eric Reed, an airline captain from the Houston area who in November started a group called "More Gun Control (equals) More Crime." Its Facebook page has been "liked" by more than 17,000 people.

Texas law allows concealed handgun license-holders to carry firearms anywhere, but Reed said rally-goers shouldn't expose their weapons: "I don't want anyone to get arrested."

A man who identified himself only as "Texas Mob Father" carried a camouflaged assault rifle strapped to his back during the Austin rally, but he was believed to be the only one to display a gun. Radio personality Alan LaFrance told the crowd he brought a Glock 19, but he kept it out of sight.

At the New York state Capitol in Albany, about 2,000 people turned out for a chilly rally, where they chanted "We the People," "USA," and "Freedom." Many carried American flags and "Don't Tread On Me" banners. The event took place four days after Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the nation's toughest assault weapon and magazine restrictions.

Republican Assemblyman Steven McLaughlin said the new law was "abuse of power" by the governor. Some in the crowd carried "Impeach Cuomo" signs. Protester Robert Candea called the restrictions "an outrage against humanity."

In Connecticut, where task forces created by the Legislature and Democratic Gov. Dannel Malloy are considering changes to gun laws, police said about 1,000 people showed up on the Capitol grounds. One demonstrator at the rally in Maine, Joe Getchell of Pittsfield, said every law-abiding citizen has a right to bear arms.

Capitol rallies also took place in Michigan, Montana, Wisconsin, Missouri and North Carolina, among other states.

Back in Texas, Houston resident Robert Thompson attended the rally with his wife and children, ages 12, 5 and 4. Many in the family wore T-shirts reading: "The Second Amendment Protects the First."

"What we are facing now is an assault weapons ban, but if they do this, what will do they do next?" Thompson asked.

William Lawson drove more than four hours from Wichita Falls and held up a sign reading "Modern Musket" over the image of an assault rifle and the words, "An American Tradition since 1776."

"I'm not some wild-eyed person who wants to fight in the streets," Lawson said. "This is a country of laws. But I want to protect our Constitution."

Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson conceded that the Second Amendment sometimes leads to killings, but he told the crowd that the First Amendment can be just as dangerous. Patterson said news coverage of those responsible for mass shootings can spark copy-cat shootings.

"All of us here, together, are right about our liberty," Patterson said. "And we will not back down."

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM
What does one have to do with another?

Five people shot at Gun Appreciation Day events
January 19th, 2013 by Ryan Witt
Next article links
GUN APPRECIATION DAY
Next article

Credit: Getty Images
Today five people were shot at three separate Gun Appreciation Day events across the country.
Gun advocates organized events across the country as part of Gun Appreciation Day, but the day did unfold as they might have imagined. The events, including a number of gun shows, were supposed to demonstrate the safety of guns in the right hands. However, at the end of the day, five people were shot due to accidental discharges at various events.

Three people were shot at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh, North Carolina. Ironically, the shooting occurred at the “safety check-in booth” when a loaded 12-gauge shotgun went off. The firearm somehow went off when the owner opened the shotgun’s case in the booth. Law enforcement on the scene were not even sure if it was legal to bring a loaded firearm into the event. The Raleigh event was closed for the rest of the day.

In Indiana a man accidentally shot himself outside the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Shot. The 54 year-old man in that case shot himself in the hand when loading his .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun in the parking lot.

Finally, in Medina, Ohio, a vendor at the Medina County gun show had to be transported to the hospital by EMS after accidentally shooting himself.

Organizers at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show now have instructed attendees that they may not bring personal guns to the show, which seemingly proves the point of many gun control advocates.

Quoting candlegal:

Probably not nearly as many as were raped at the OWS rallies.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Wonder how many people will be shot at that one

Quoting Farmlady09:

They have a second rally scheduled for February 8th. I think a lot more people will be showing up since it's getting national attention and far more people will know about it. This one, given only social networking notice was bigger than I thought it would be.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM

"You won't get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens. There's only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and the criminals, lock them up and if you don't actually throw away the key, at least lose it for a long time... It's a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know this from personal experience." RR

"Our nation was built and civilized by men and women who used guns in self-defense and in pursuit of peace. One wonders indeed, if the rising crime rate, isn't due as much as anything to the criminal's instinctive knowledge that the average victim no longer has means of self-protection." RR

"There are those in America today who have come to depend absolutely on government for their security. And when government fails they seek to rectify that failure in the form of granting government more power. So, as government has failed to control crime and violence with the means given it by the Constitution, they seek to give it more power at the expense of the Constitution. But in doing so, in their willingness to give up their arms in the name of safety, they are really giving up their protection from what has always been the chief source of despotism -- government." RR

From Justice Scalia's own lips ~ start at 7:05 if you want to cherry pick through, but the entire interview is worth watching ~ but he pretty much only questions rocket launchers (which can be hand carried, but might 'not' fit the language of the time as it was used .. or might, depending on how the argument is presented).

At the heart of the feud was the Second Amendment, as adjudicated in District of Columbia v. Heller, a landmark case that in 2008 overturned the district's ban on private ownership of handguns. Scalia wrote the decision for the Court's five-to-four majority. "The inherent right of self-defense has been central to the Second Amendment right," Scalia wrote, and in the view of the American people the handgun is "the quintessential self-defense weapon."

There is not a word from EITHER man stating that 'assault weapons (in each new REwriting of the definition) fall under any Constitutional infringement OR restriction, save those that are required to purchase one.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

That doesn't mean no restrictions

Ask justice Scalia and Ronald Reagan

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Yes, regulated militias ....

No statement prohibiting restriction which Scalia upheld as Constitutional

Quoting Farmlady09:

We had about 300 or so people there ~ I've talked to a lot who were either bringing friends along to the next one, as well as many who knew nothing about this before the articles about it showed up on the local news. Not everyone is on the internet or FB. I think the next one might make a lot of anti-gun people sit up and pay attention (especially the elected ones).

I am glad to see more and more sheriff's, and entire states outright stating they will not comply with this. There are only 27 words in the second amendment, but thanks to the dumb down teaching for the past several generations there are a lot of people too stupid to understand those little words (or who think they can erase them and no one will pay attention or stop them).

caito
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Unfortunately a gun discharged at a rally and hit a few people in the city next to mine. 

In Raleigh, N.C., authorities said three people were wounded when a loaded shotgun accidentally discharged at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show at the N.C. State Fairgrounds.

Officials say Gary Lynn Wilson, 36, was having his shotgun checked before entering the show when the incident happened. He was unzipping his 12-gauge shotgun's case when it accidentally fired birdshot pellets, hitting three people, The News & Observer in Raleigh reported. Wilson was planning on privately selling the gun at the show, according to NBC affiliate WNCN.

The three victims, Janet Hoover, Linwood Hester and Jake Alderman, were hit, respectively, in the right torso, left hand and right hand, WNCN reported. They were taken to the hospital for non-life threatening injuries.

Witness Daniel Peadan told WNCN he was about to enter the building, when he heard a loud pop: "The people right there at the door, a lot of them ran ... They scattered because it was chaotic."

"This was an accidental discharge," said Brian Long, a spokesman for the North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, in a statement.

The show closed early Saturday because of the shooting, according to The News & Observer. When the show reopens Sunday private gun sales will not be permitted, but only sales by licensed dealers at the show are allowed, Long said. By Saturday evening, the event's website clearly stipulated: "No personal firearms are to be brought into the show."

The Wake County Sheriff's Department is investigating Saturday's incident, and it's not clear yet whether there are pending charges, according to Long.

joey125
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I hope none of them are catholic, the Vatican agrees with President Obama about gun control  Funny how some are  pro life and at the same time pro gun, seems like  a contradiction,

AMBG825
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM
12 people were shot at the black expo last year.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Farmlady09:

They have a second rally scheduled for February 8th. I think a lot more people will be showing up since it's getting national attention and far more people will know about it. This one, given only social networking notice was bigger than I thought it would be.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Gun shows ~ do you not read the freaking articles you post? Not the rallies, at the gun shows held for gun appreciation day. See how easy that is ... and ... you're still wrong.

Three people were shot at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh

In Indiana a man accidentally shot himself outside the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Shot (proof reading is a lot art, obviously)

a vendor at the Medina County gun show had to be transported to the hospital by EMS after accidentally shooting himself.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Wrong

Next article links
GUN APPRECIATION DAY
Next article

Today five people were shot at three separate Gun Appreciation Day events across the country.
Gun advocates organized events across the country as part of Gun Appreciation Day, but the day did unfold as they might have imagined. The events, including a number of gun shows, were supposed to demonstrate the safety of guns in the right hands. However, at the end of the day, five people were shot due to accidental discharges at various events.

Three people were shot at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh, North Carolina. Ironically, the shooting occurred at the “safety check-in booth” when a loaded 12-gauge shotgun went off. The firearm somehow went off when the owner opened the shotgun’s case in the booth. Law enforcement on the scene were not even sure if it was legal to bring a loaded firearm into the event. The Raleigh event was closed for the rest of the day.

In Indiana a man accidentally shot himself outside the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Shot. The 54 year-old man in that case shot himself in the hand when loading his .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun in the parking lot.

Finally, in Medina, Ohio, a vendor at the Medina County gun show had to be transported to the hospital by EMS after accidentally shooting himself.

Organizers at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show now have instructed attendees that they may not bring personal guns to the show, which seemingly proves the point of many gun control advocates.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Um ~ wrong. There were people shot at gun shows.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

You do know there were a number of people shot at the pro gun rallies, yes?

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Farmlady09:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:52 PM

The gun SHOWS were apart of the gun appreciation day, can YOU read?

Quoting Farmlady09:

Gun shows ~ do you not read the freaking articles you post? Not the rallies, at the gun shows held for gun appreciation day. See how easy that is ... and ... you're still wrong.

Three people were shot at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh

In Indiana a man accidentally shot himself outside the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Shot (proof reading is a lot art, obviously)

a vendor at the Medina County gun show had to be transported to the hospital by EMS after accidentally shooting himself.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Wrong

Next article links
GUN APPRECIATION DAY
Next article

Organizers at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show now have instructed attendees that they may not bring personal guns to the show, which 
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Not sure what this has to do with the OP, but this is the only thing I found about the black expo - 10 people shot, none at the expo...all the same NIGHT as but not AT the black expo

All of the victims were boys between the ages of 10 and 18. All are reported to be in good condition.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/indiana/downtown-shooting-injures-nine

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Farmlady09:

AMBG825
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Actually you're wrong. I was there. In person. It was at the rally. The kids were rival gang members and did a shootout from Circle City Mall (right in the middle of the expo) all the way to the Northeast side of the city. 12 people were shot in total. Those 10 were just outside Circle City Mall. It was AT the expo.

The point was, and it really isn't surprising you missed it, rallies and protests seem to have a habit of people getting injured. The rallies that were thrown together at the last minute were a lot more peaceful that some that are supposed to be to promote peace. Look at all those Occupy protests that erupted in complete anarchy. The fact that 8 people were shot at events that were in no way related to these rally's isn't all that surprising. Really, you would have a point if they did these rallies with guns blazing and there were dozens who were shot intentionally. Not just 8 people who were shot coincidentally at other events.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Not sure what this has to do with the OP, but this is the only thing I found about the black expo - 10 people shot, none at the expo...all the same NIGHT as but not AT the black expo

All of the victims were boys between the ages of 10 and 18. All are reported to be in good condition.

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Farmlady09:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:38 PM
It's exactly the point. Fights breaking out at big rallies are the norm

However there wasn't a fight that resulted in the shootings at the gun lovers rally

And that's the point, even with the best intentions...people were still shot

Quoting AMBG825:

Actually you're wrong. I was there. In person. It was at the rally. The kids were rival gang members and did a shootout from Circle City Mall (right in the middle of the expo) all the way to the Northeast side of the city. 12 people were shot in total. Those 10 were just outside Circle City Mall. It was AT the expo.

The point was, and it really isn't surprising you missed it, rallies and protests seem to have a habit of people getting injured. The rallies that were thrown together at the last minute were a lot more peaceful that some that are supposed to be to promote peace. Look at all those Occupy protests that erupted in complete anarchy. The fact that 8 people were shot at events that were in no way related to these rally's isn't all that surprising. Really, you would have a point if they did these rallies with guns blazing and there were dozens who were shot intentionally. Not just 8 people who were shot coincidentally at other events.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)