Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Thousands Join Pro-gun Rallies in State Capitals

Posted by   + Show Post

Thousands of gun advocates gathered peacefully Saturday at state capitals around the U.S. to rally against stricter limits on firearms, with demonstrators carrying rifles and pistols in some places while those elsewhere settled for waving hand-scrawled signs or screaming themselves hoarse.

The size of crowds at each location varied - from dozens of people in South Dakota to 2,000 in New York. Large crowds also turned out in Connecticut, Tennessee and Texas. Some demonstrators in Phoenix and Salem, Ore., came with holstered handguns or rifles on their backs. At the Kentucky Capitol in Frankfort, attendees gave a special round of applause for "the ladies that are packin'."

Activists promoted the "Guns Across America" rallies primarily through social media. They were being held just after President Barack Obama unveiled a sweeping package of federal gun-control proposals.

The crowd swelled to more than 800 amid balmy temperatures on the steps of the pink-hued Capitol in Austin, where speakers took the microphone under a giant Texas flag with "Independent" stamped across it. Homemade placards read "An Armed Society is a Polite Society," "The Second Amendment Comes from God" and "Hey King O., I'm keeping my guns and my religion."

"The thing that so angers me, and I think so angers you, is that this president is using children as a human shield to advance a very liberal agenda that will do nothing to protect them," said state Rep. Steve Toth, referencing last month's elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn.

Toth, a first-term Republican lawmaker from The Woodlands outside Houston, has introduced legislation banning within Texas any future federal limits on assault weapons or high-capacity magazines, though such a measure would violate the U.S. Constitution.

Rallies at statehouses nationwide were organized by Eric Reed, an airline captain from the Houston area who in November started a group called "More Gun Control (equals) More Crime." Its Facebook page has been "liked" by more than 17,000 people.

Texas law allows concealed handgun license-holders to carry firearms anywhere, but Reed said rally-goers shouldn't expose their weapons: "I don't want anyone to get arrested."

A man who identified himself only as "Texas Mob Father" carried a camouflaged assault rifle strapped to his back during the Austin rally, but he was believed to be the only one to display a gun. Radio personality Alan LaFrance told the crowd he brought a Glock 19, but he kept it out of sight.

At the New York state Capitol in Albany, about 2,000 people turned out for a chilly rally, where they chanted "We the People," "USA," and "Freedom." Many carried American flags and "Don't Tread On Me" banners. The event took place four days after Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the nation's toughest assault weapon and magazine restrictions.

Republican Assemblyman Steven McLaughlin said the new law was "abuse of power" by the governor. Some in the crowd carried "Impeach Cuomo" signs. Protester Robert Candea called the restrictions "an outrage against humanity."

In Connecticut, where task forces created by the Legislature and Democratic Gov. Dannel Malloy are considering changes to gun laws, police said about 1,000 people showed up on the Capitol grounds. One demonstrator at the rally in Maine, Joe Getchell of Pittsfield, said every law-abiding citizen has a right to bear arms.

Capitol rallies also took place in Michigan, Montana, Wisconsin, Missouri and North Carolina, among other states.

Back in Texas, Houston resident Robert Thompson attended the rally with his wife and children, ages 12, 5 and 4. Many in the family wore T-shirts reading: "The Second Amendment Protects the First."

"What we are facing now is an assault weapons ban, but if they do this, what will do they do next?" Thompson asked.

William Lawson drove more than four hours from Wichita Falls and held up a sign reading "Modern Musket" over the image of an assault rifle and the words, "An American Tradition since 1776."

"I'm not some wild-eyed person who wants to fight in the streets," Lawson said. "This is a country of laws. But I want to protect our Constitution."

Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson conceded that the Second Amendment sometimes leads to killings, but he told the crowd that the First Amendment can be just as dangerous. Patterson said news coverage of those responsible for mass shootings can spark copy-cat shootings.

"All of us here, together, are right about our liberty," Patterson said. "And we will not back down."

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Replies (31-40):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Meh, people are entitled to rally.

If that is how they feel they should present themselves, have at it.  It is their right.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I haven't wanted to discuss anything to do with our Gov's decision making.  Because, they are all corrupt.  So, regretfully & I'm sorry to say this, but I don't care anymore.  I know how bad that sounds.  But, I do want to say is, did anyone hear or confirm that Obama is against having a Security Guard at every school? 

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM

That's right. P A R T of it, but the accidental shootings happened at the actual shows, not at any rally which is what you made your snarky remark about. You said rallies. I said gun shows. You were wrong ~ and still are (even if you trimmed the tree and removed this comment.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

You do know there were a number of people shot at the pro gun rallies, yes?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

The gun SHOWS were apart of the gun appreciation day, can YOU read?

Gun advocates organized events across the country as part of Gun Appreciation Day, but the day did unfold as they might have imagined. The events, including a number of gun shows, were supposed to demonstrate the safety of guns in the right hands. However, at the end of the day, five people were shot due to accidental discharges at various events.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Gun shows ~ do you not read the freaking articles you post? Not the rallies, at the gun shows held for gun appreciation day. See how easy that is ... and ... you're still wrong.

Three people were shot at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh

In Indiana a man accidentally shot himself outside the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Shot (proof reading is a lot art, obviously)

a vendor at the Medina County gun show had to be transported to the hospital by EMS after accidentally shooting himself.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Wrong

Five people shot at Gun Appreciation Day events
January 19th, 2013 by Ryan Witt
Next article links
GUN APPRECIATION DAY
Next article

Credit: Getty Images
Today five people were shot at three separate Gun Appreciation Day events across the country.
Gun advocates organized events across the country as part of Gun Appreciation Day, but the day did unfold as they might have imagined. The events, including a number of gun shows, were supposed to demonstrate the safety of guns in the right hands. However, at the end of the day, five people were shot due to accidental discharges at various events.

Three people were shot at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh, North Carolina. Ironically, the shooting occurred at the “safety check-in booth” when a loaded 12-gauge shotgun went off. The firearm somehow went off when the owner opened the shotgun’s case in the booth. Law enforcement on the scene were not even sure if it was legal to bring a loaded firearm into the event. The Raleigh event was closed for the rest of the day.

In Indiana a man accidentally shot himself outside the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Shot. The 54 year-old man in that case shot himself in the hand when loading his .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun in the parking lot.

Finally, in Medina, Ohio, a vendor at the Medina County gun show had to be transported to the hospital by EMS after accidentally shooting himself.

Organizers at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show now have instructed attendees that they may not bring personal guns to the show, which 

AMBG825
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM

And the stories you posted were people shooting themselves ...with one noted exception. Kind of hard to make a case that the rally was a violent bust when in fact it was the complete opposite.

I really want to ask what the point of your hyperbole is?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It's exactly the point. Fights breaking out at big rallies are the norm

However there wasn't a fight that resulted in the shootings at the gun lovers rally

And that's the point, even with the best intentions...people were still shot

Quoting AMBG825:

Actually you're wrong. I was there. In person. It was at the rally. The kids were rival gang members and did a shootout from Circle City Mall (right in the middle of the expo) all the way to the Northeast side of the city. 12 people were shot in total. Those 10 were just outside Circle City Mall. It was AT the expo.

The point was, and it really isn't surprising you missed it, rallies and protests seem to have a habit of people getting injured. The rallies that were thrown together at the last minute were a lot more peaceful that some that are supposed to be to promote peace. Look at all those Occupy protests that erupted in complete anarchy. The fact that 8 people were shot at events that were in no way related to these rally's isn't all that surprising. Really, you would have a point if they did these rallies with guns blazing and there were dozens who were shot intentionally. Not just 8 people who were shot coincidentally at other events.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Not sure what this has to do with the OP, but this is the only thing I found about the black expo - 10 people shot, none at the expo...all the same NIGHT as but not AT the black expo

All of the victims were boys between the ages of 10 and 18. All are reported to be in good condition.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/indiana/downtown-shooting-injures-nine

Quoting AMBG825:

12 people were shot at the black expo last year.

Quoting candlegal:

Probably not nearly as many as were raped at the OWS rallies.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Wonder how many people will be shot at that one

Quoting Farmlady09:

They have a second rally scheduled for February 8th. I think a lot more people will be showing up since it's getting national attention and far more people will know about it. This one, given only social networking notice was bigger than I thought it would be.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Where did I say they were a violent crowd? oh, right, I didn't

I said the gun nuts are perfect examples of why there need to be restrictions. Even with the BEST of intentions, guns are dangerous weapons

Quoting AMBG825:

And the stories you posted were people shooting themselves ...with one noted exception. Kind of hard to make a case that the rally was a violent bust when in fact it was the complete opposite.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM

These were part of the dumbass gun appreciation day.

Epis fail for proving once again that guns are dangerous weapons and the more people CARRY them around the MORE people will get SHOT and DIE

Quoting Farmlady09:

That's right. P A R T of it, but the accidental shootings happened at the actual shows, not at any rally which is what you made your snarky remark about. You said rallies. I said gun shows. You were wrong ~ and still are (even if you trimmed the tree and removed this comment.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

You do know there were a number of people shot at the pro gun rallies, yes?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

The gun SHOWS were apart of the gun appreciation day, can YOU read?

AMBG825
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

So were the molotov cocktails used during the NAFTA riots. A lot more people were killed and injured during those "peaceful protests."

I know ....you should not be allowed to drive, own anything that could be considered flammable or be allowed to own any type of container that could hold flammable liquids. You MIGHT one day kill someone or yourself with your stupidity of owning such products.

I know ....ban bleach too. You MIGHT let your kids get into it and they MIGHT ingest it. Bleach needs to be banned.  Especially if you also have nail polish remover in your house. After all you MIGHT be another Casey Anthony and decide to drug your child.

Tomorrow your child MIGHT break a window. You should put him/her in time out right this second. Obviously s/he is going to do something stupid. Punish him/her right this second because s/he MIGHT do something stupid tomorrow.

What a crock of moronic bullshit.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I said the gun nuts are perfect examples of why there need to be restrictions. Even with the BEST of intentions, guns are dangerous weapons

Quoting AMBG825:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Again, where did I say you shouldn't be able to own a gun?

Where did i EVER advocate banning guns?

Quoting AMBG825:

So were the molotov cocktails used during the NAFTA riots. A lot more people were killed and injured during those "peaceful protests."

I know ....you should not be allowed to drive, own anything that could be considered flammable or be allowed to own any type of container that could hold flammable liquids. You MIGHT one day kill someone or yourself with your stupidity of owning such products.

I know ....ban bleach too. You MIGHT let your kids get into it and they MIGHT ingest it. Bleach needs to be banned.  Especially if you also have nail polish remover in your house. After all you MIGHT be another Casey Anthony and decide to drug your child.

Tomorrow your child MIGHT break a window. You should put him/her in time out right this second. Obviously s/he is going to do something stupid. Punish him/her right this second because s/he MIGHT do something stupid tomorrow.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting AMBG825:

joey125
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM

What's sickening about this whole thing is no one wants to take away people's guns, this appreciation of guns day sounds totally absurd, love your guns who cares.  Common sense does not seem to apply at times in this country.  

AMBG825
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM

So then I'll ask you for the third time, is there a point to your exaggerated BS?

It sounds more like you want to ban people from peacefully assembling since that is more of a component in your exaggerated story than owning a gun. So your issue isn't with the 2nd amendment, it's with the first?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Again, where did I say you shouldn't be able to own a gun?

Where did i EVER advocate banning guns?

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting AMBG825:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN