Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Thousands Join Pro-gun Rallies in State Capitals

Posted by   + Show Post

Thousands of gun advocates gathered peacefully Saturday at state capitals around the U.S. to rally against stricter limits on firearms, with demonstrators carrying rifles and pistols in some places while those elsewhere settled for waving hand-scrawled signs or screaming themselves hoarse.

The size of crowds at each location varied - from dozens of people in South Dakota to 2,000 in New York. Large crowds also turned out in Connecticut, Tennessee and Texas. Some demonstrators in Phoenix and Salem, Ore., came with holstered handguns or rifles on their backs. At the Kentucky Capitol in Frankfort, attendees gave a special round of applause for "the ladies that are packin'."

Activists promoted the "Guns Across America" rallies primarily through social media. They were being held just after President Barack Obama unveiled a sweeping package of federal gun-control proposals.

The crowd swelled to more than 800 amid balmy temperatures on the steps of the pink-hued Capitol in Austin, where speakers took the microphone under a giant Texas flag with "Independent" stamped across it. Homemade placards read "An Armed Society is a Polite Society," "The Second Amendment Comes from God" and "Hey King O., I'm keeping my guns and my religion."

"The thing that so angers me, and I think so angers you, is that this president is using children as a human shield to advance a very liberal agenda that will do nothing to protect them," said state Rep. Steve Toth, referencing last month's elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn.

Toth, a first-term Republican lawmaker from The Woodlands outside Houston, has introduced legislation banning within Texas any future federal limits on assault weapons or high-capacity magazines, though such a measure would violate the U.S. Constitution.

Rallies at statehouses nationwide were organized by Eric Reed, an airline captain from the Houston area who in November started a group called "More Gun Control (equals) More Crime." Its Facebook page has been "liked" by more than 17,000 people.

Texas law allows concealed handgun license-holders to carry firearms anywhere, but Reed said rally-goers shouldn't expose their weapons: "I don't want anyone to get arrested."

A man who identified himself only as "Texas Mob Father" carried a camouflaged assault rifle strapped to his back during the Austin rally, but he was believed to be the only one to display a gun. Radio personality Alan LaFrance told the crowd he brought a Glock 19, but he kept it out of sight.

At the New York state Capitol in Albany, about 2,000 people turned out for a chilly rally, where they chanted "We the People," "USA," and "Freedom." Many carried American flags and "Don't Tread On Me" banners. The event took place four days after Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the nation's toughest assault weapon and magazine restrictions.

Republican Assemblyman Steven McLaughlin said the new law was "abuse of power" by the governor. Some in the crowd carried "Impeach Cuomo" signs. Protester Robert Candea called the restrictions "an outrage against humanity."

In Connecticut, where task forces created by the Legislature and Democratic Gov. Dannel Malloy are considering changes to gun laws, police said about 1,000 people showed up on the Capitol grounds. One demonstrator at the rally in Maine, Joe Getchell of Pittsfield, said every law-abiding citizen has a right to bear arms.

Capitol rallies also took place in Michigan, Montana, Wisconsin, Missouri and North Carolina, among other states.

Back in Texas, Houston resident Robert Thompson attended the rally with his wife and children, ages 12, 5 and 4. Many in the family wore T-shirts reading: "The Second Amendment Protects the First."

"What we are facing now is an assault weapons ban, but if they do this, what will do they do next?" Thompson asked.

William Lawson drove more than four hours from Wichita Falls and held up a sign reading "Modern Musket" over the image of an assault rifle and the words, "An American Tradition since 1776."

"I'm not some wild-eyed person who wants to fight in the streets," Lawson said. "This is a country of laws. But I want to protect our Constitution."

Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson conceded that the Second Amendment sometimes leads to killings, but he told the crowd that the First Amendment can be just as dangerous. Patterson said news coverage of those responsible for mass shootings can spark copy-cat shootings.

"All of us here, together, are right about our liberty," Patterson said. "And we will not back down."

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Replies (41-50):
candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:38 AM

That is what she does best, oh, and calling people liars when they disagree with her. 

Quoting AMBG825:

So then I'll ask you for the third time, is there a point to your exaggerated BS?

It sounds more like you want to ban people from peacefully assembling since that is more of a component in your exaggerated story than owning a gun. So your issue isn't with the 2nd amendment, it's with the first?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Again, where did I say you shouldn't be able to own a gun?

Where did i EVER advocate banning guns?

Quoting AMBG825:

So were the molotov cocktails used during the NAFTA riots. A lot more people were killed and injured during those "peaceful protests."

I know ....you should not be allowed to drive, own anything that could be considered flammable or be allowed to own any type of container that could hold flammable liquids. You MIGHT one day kill someone or yourself with your stupidity of owning such products.

I know ....ban bleach too. You MIGHT let your kids get into it and they MIGHT ingest it. Bleach needs to be banned.  Especially if you also have nail polish remover in your house. After all you MIGHT be another Casey Anthony and decide to drug your child.

Tomorrow your child MIGHT break a window. You should put him/her in time out right this second. Obviously s/he is going to do something stupid. Punish him/her right this second because s/he MIGHT do something stupid tomorrow.

What a crock of moronic bullshit.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Where did I say they were a violent crowd? oh, right, I didn't

I said the gun nuts are perfect examples of why there need to be restrictions. Even with the BEST of intentions, guns are dangerous weapons

Quoting AMBG825:

And the stories you posted were people shooting themselves ...with one noted exception. Kind of hard to make a case that the rally was a violent bust when in fact it was the complete opposite.

I really want to ask what the point of your hyperbole is?

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:23 AM

and five people were shot

Fun times

Thank God gun owners are so responsible as to take out their guns for no apparent reason and play with them like toys

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Please show where I said what she accuses me of saying..

You won't because it never happened, so since you feel the need to talk about me and but in...I'll wait for you to prove she wasn't making sh*t up

Quoting candlegal:

That is what she does best, oh, and calling people liars when they disagree with her. 

Quoting AMBG825:

So then I'll ask you for the third time, is there a point to your exaggerated BS?

It sounds more like you want to ban people from peacefully assembling since that is more of a component in your exaggerated story than owning a gun. So your issue isn't with the 2nd amendment, it's with the first?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting AMBG825:

So were the molotov cocktails used during the NAFTA riots. A lot more people were killed and injured during those "peaceful protests."

I know ....you should not be allowed to drive, own anything that could be considered flammable or be allowed to own any type of container that could hold flammable liquids. You MIGHT one day kill someone or yourself with your stupidity of owning such products.

I know ....ban bleach too. You MIGHT let your kids get into it and they MIGHT ingest it. Bleach needs to be banned.  Especially if you also have nail polish remover in your house. After all you MIGHT be another Casey Anthony and decide to drug your child.

Tomorrow your child MIGHT break a window. You should put him/her in time out right this second. Obviously s/he is going to do something stupid. Punish him/her right this second because s/he MIGHT do something stupid tomorrow.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I said the gun nuts are perfect examples of why there need to be restrictions. Even with the BEST of intentions, guns are dangerous weapons

Quoting AMBG825:

And the stories you posted were people shooting themselves ...with one noted exception. Kind of hard to make a case that the rally was a violent bust when in fact it was the complete opposite.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Asked and answered

If you don't comprehend the answer, that's on you

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting AMBG825:

Happymamax2
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:45 AM
2 moms liked this

If only people would organize and rally for truly important things!  So much wasted time and thought on guns....  

AMBG825
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:59 AM

So there was no point? Gotcha.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Asked and answered

If you don't comprehend the answer, that's on you

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting AMBG825:

AMBG825
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:05 AM

I'm trying to figure out which amendment is her issue. Whenever people gather en masse there always seems to be people getting injured. Gathering a few hundred people together is more dangerous than millions of people owning guns. Especially when you start considering that the larger the crowd, the lower the collective IQ.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting AMBG825:

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Words mean something, and unlike liberals, I don't change their meanings to suit what ever it is that I'm trying to spew each day. You said 'rallies'. The rallies took place at state capital buildings ~ not at gun shows (which is where 5 people were shot).

You didn't say 'gun appreciation day (which may/may not have been at least partially correct since some of the shows were planned long before the 19th) . You didn't say gun shows. You said rallies ~ and I said wrong. You are one of the people who should NEVER own a gun because you're starting to sound just about certifiable.

ps ~ Obama sucks. Did you catch the latest news ... where he's wanting to 'give' China land in exchange for more borrowing so that our great great grandchildren are born into debt (slavery)? If the man fell into a well used privy (given that snoot up in the air all the time ... it could happen lol), I'd giggle.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

These were part of the dumbass gun appreciation day.

Epis fail for proving once again that guns are dangerous weapons and the more people CARRY them around the MORE people will get SHOT and DIE

Quoting Farmlady09:

That's right. P A R T of it, but the accidental shootings happened at the actual shows, not at any rally which is what you made your snarky remark about. You said rallies. I said gun shows. You were wrong ~ and still are (even if you trimmed the tree and removed this comment.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

You do know there were a number of people shot at the pro gun rallies, yes?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

The gun SHOWS were apart of the gun appreciation day, can YOU read?

Gun advocates organized events across the country as part of Gun Appreciation Day, but the day did unfold as they might have imagined. The events, including a number of gun shows, were supposed to demonstrate the safety of guns in the right hands. However, at the end of the day, five people were shot due to accidental discharges at various events.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Salem Oregon huh. Interesting.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I agree. Though I'm pro gun rights, I think a lot of people are going over board.

Quoting Happymamax2:

If only people would organize and rally for truly important things!  So much wasted time and thought on guns....  

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN