Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Shaking Hands in Cold/Flu Season.....

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 6 Replies

So how do you all handle this? When presented with the situation, do you still shake hands, even in the height of the cold and flu season?

I was thinking about this in church this morning, because churches are the worst offenders of the "shaking hands at all costs" thing. And as I watched people around me rubbing their noses, coughing and sneezing directly into their hands, I got ill just thinking about it. People do some pretty gross things with their bare hands, and then thrust them out for you to shake them happily.

During this time of year, I always avoid shaking hands. I politely tell people I'd prefer not to share my germs. Most people are OK with it, but some are utterly offended.

So what do you do? Grin and bear it, or say no way, Jose, and stick your hands in your pockets?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
krysstizzle
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I always shake hands. I just keep my anti-viral/anti-bacterial essential oil blend handy :)

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I used to shake and then use my antibacterial hand gel, but people seemed even more pissed off about that than if I just said "no thanks" and declined to shake their hand.

Quoting krysstizzle:

I always shake hands. I just keep my anti-viral/anti-bacterial essential oil blend handy :)

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I am a cashier at a grocery store...I am constantly handling money and things like that...I just do it, I'm not too obsessive about germs...they happen :)

krysstizzle
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

lol 

Yeah, I don't do put it on right after shaking. I probably could though, I think the perception of essential oils would be a lot different than antibacterial gel. Plus it smells good and makes people happy :)

Quoting cjsbmom:

I used to shake and then use my antibacterial hand gel, but people seemed even more pissed off about that than if I just said "no thanks" and declined to shake their hand.

Quoting krysstizzle:

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I do. If I get sick, I get sick. I cannot really live my life with the fear of "what if."

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM

This.

Quoting rfurlongg:

I do. If I get sick, I get sick. I cannot really live my life with the fear of "what if."

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN